Knee Infection* TKR Staph Infection: 2-Stage Revision Needed

It sounds like you're on the right track.

Please be mindful and use assistive devices, even if one crutch or a cane, during this period of buckling (yep, this is the voice of experience; my right knee prior to ACL surgery and my left knee prior to TKA!)
 
You are moving fast, I drove at 4 weeks because I was told 4 to 6 weeks. I actually thought about learning to drive with my left foot but then decided I wasn’t really in that big a rush. If I drive longer than about 30 minutes my ankle starts bothering me and then my knee, but I think that’s related to my leg being straightened. I have been in Houston stop and go traffic a few times, it’s the worst. Did you get moving this fast on your original TKR? Just curious. Sounds like you are in good physical condition. I would still be a little cautious because a fall would slow you down. On the other hand you know best whether you need an assistive device or not.
 
Thank you for sharing your journey with us and also for the benefit of others. It’s wonderful to have the support of maryo52 and Jday. I will be following your thread with interest. Wishing you lots of comfort.
@Badknee1022
 
I am watching your posts, as you have gone through something that I am just now beginning a new journey on. I am a 4-time cancer survivor, have had 18 surgeries, chemo, and radiation over the past 30 years. I have had more than 300 surgical procedures during those years, which I should have kept a journal on. Radiation following a 1997 cancer surgery burned me terribly, both internal and external, which took me months to get beyond. Due to that radiation, my kidneys suffered terribly and am now Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 4 Secere. Have kept myself off dialysis for over 10 years by doing daily saline infusions at cancer clinic 3x weekly and at home by myself 4x weekly at home. Have had a external chest port for years and it remains accessed all week and I deaccess on Sunday evening and reaccess at the cancer clinic every Monday. Due to my same radiation debacle, my ureters collapsed, so I now have bilateral Nephrostomy tubes, which carry urine directly from my kidneys into external plastic drainage bags. Not pretty, but keeps me going! The health issues some of us have to go through to live can be very exhausting, but I have always thanked God that I'm still here. But I have to admit that it becomes a challenge at times! I can honestly say that I so wish that my surgeon would have advised me not to have a TKR, which I know I would have taken him up on his advise! I could have just learned to live with my old arthritic left knee! My right knee is not too good either, but I do not want to go through any more than what I already am! Take care and pray that all goes well for you!
 
My story is similar to those above. Six years ago, I had tkr on left knee and then 2 revisions within 6 months. Knee was never "great"; but it was sufficient.
In March of 2023, sudden swelling and heat in knee. Also fever and night sweats. Four days later, I couldn't stand up and went to the ER. The surgeon cleaned out the infection and did a "poly swap". Wish I had known enough to ask about a 2-stage revision, but that's not something you study or read about before it happens! Good progress (after 6 weeks of antibiotics via picc line). Infection came back in July and they. put in a temporary antibiotic spacer, immobilizer brace and more antibiotics. I was only supposed to put 50% weight on that leg. Final surgery at the end of August. The problem is that I still can't put full weight on that leg. 16 weeks of PT and only minimal improvement. Quad muscle isn't firing. So, 20+ weeks out, I can't take a step without walker. Also have pain (from moderate to severe) every day. Please let me know if there is a miracle cure or PT move. I am not dealing well with this limitations.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: VSu
Hello Badknee,
It's been one month since the 1st stage of your revision. I hope you're doing okay.
Possibly you're driving now. :fingersx: Hopefully PT is taking it easy on you.
Hang in there and let us know how you're doing when you have time.
We're cheering you on from the sidelines.
@Badknee1022
 
Hello all,

Here is an update on my progress. I‘m happy to report that I have been doing quite well these past 6 weeks+ after the Jan 19th 1st stage of my 2-stage revision. I‘ve been walking unassisted (no cane or crutch) for 3+ weeks and can (carefully) go up and down stairs with moderate discomfort. I started driving after 2-3 weeks. No real PT, other than walking. I’m also able to get my right knee all the way around on a stationary bike pedal (no cardio, though!).

I am seeing my infectious disease doc again later this week. We will probably make the call to go to Stage-2, which means to suspend all antibiotics for 2-4 weeks (to watch blood work for signs of infection markers returning), after which the second surgery will take place (removing the stage-1 temporary spacer and implanting a new Stryker knee prosthetic). My ID told me he would probably remove the PICC line this week, but I told him I might want to keep it in during the 2-4 week waiting period just in case we have to restart the ABX. If anyone has any thoughts on that, or past experience, let me know. It’s strange and, yes, scary, to imagine stopping all antibiotics after all this time. (I’ve been on daily ABX since Nov 28th, 2022!) By the way, the two major inflammation markers we’ve been focused on, CRP (C-Reactive Protein) and E-Sed (E-Sedimentation Rate) have both returned to normal levels, which gives me a great deal of relief! That said, my RBC, Hemoglobin, Hematocrit and Sodium levels remain lower than normal, but as I’ve been told, that’s the result of all the meds I’ve been on.

That’s it for now. I’ll report back in the next week, once I see what the marching orders are later this week.

Regards to all!
 
Wow, this is excellent news!!! Looking forward to your next update.
 
I think I'd leave the line in, too, if I had to make the decision. But, that is something you and your doctor have to decide what to do. Do you step out in faith and remove it, or are you being cautious and leave it in? Only you can decide which one to do.
 
If you leave the pic line in, you will have to flush it twice a day to keep it patent . There's also the risk of infection.
 
My ID told me he would probably remove the PICC line this week, but I told him I might want to keep it in during the 2-4 week waiting period just in case we have to restart the ABX. If anyone has any thoughts on that, or past experience, let me know.
I'm interested in the thoughts of your medical team on this topic. I guess I am wondering if they gave you pros and cons? Thanks for sharing all of the good news in your latest post. Prayers this journey culminates in perfect healing.
 
Thanks for the tip on the Polar Ice 3.0. I may be in the market for an ice machine!
 
I have used the polar ice through 2 surgeries, love it! I have the larger one and only needed to change ice morning and evening. I did need a new pad for the second surgery.
 
Hello all,

Everything is rolling along toward my final revision surgery (second of two, first one was Jan 19th), which is scheduled for Monday April 8th. Bloodwork continues to look good after 3 weeks without any antibiotics. So glad to have the PICC line out, although the second time around was much easier to handle. Strange that this final, and hopefully last surgery (after 3 previous surgeries in 15 months), is happening on the day of the full solar eclipse. I'm somewhat superstitious, so I'll go with good luck to have it done almost literally during the eclipse!

I'll report back after the surgery, if not before, with any updates.

Best of health to all!!
 
Hi Badknee,
Thanks for the uplifting post and great news!
Wishing you all the best...an uneventful surgery and complete and perfect healing.
Will look forward to hearing from you post op. :wave:
@Badknee1022
 
Yay for solid bloodwork. Keep those white counts down and full steam ahead to revision!!!!
 
Hi Badknee,
Stopping by to see if you underwent the final stage of your revision on the 8th?
If so, I hope you're doing well. Please let us know when you have the time.
Hope to hear from you soon. :)
@Badknee1022
 
Back
Top Bottom