Revision TKR TKR Revision gone wrong

Oh and btw, I went to the beach last Friday ……and missed Bruce Springsteen by about 20 min. Same exact beach, same parking lot! He goes to this beach often. My house is about 3 miles from where he lives so I’m determined I will run into him someday. Just hope I don’t turn into a blithering idiot or pee my pants or something!

@Magsmom I really appreciate your encouragement and I agree with everything that you said!! And I hope you run into The Boss!! How cool!!

Thank you to every single person who took the time to comment. In my opinion, this website is an oasis of information, comfort and kinship! It's a MUST for folks that need/want to be here! I think your link should be given to every single facility that does bone/joint care of any kind!!

I'M 8 WEEKS OUT!!!!!! YAYYYYYYY!

The PT I go to prescribed a "DynaSplint" for the foot drop! It is a very good thing!
I can't wear it the same time as the full leg brace, but that's fine because this splint is not for walking. so I take the clunky brace off, and I wear DynaSplint for 3 hours a day (broken up into any increments of time that I like), and it does "Passive" physical therapy for Foot Drop! It passively trains all the muscles that atrophy with drop foot! It holds my foot in the proper position instead of allowing it to droop..(gravity was causing the droop to increase. Foot Drop.jpg DynaSplint.jpg
Left foot was staying in that dropped position. Right foot normal.... DynaSplint holds it up properly!

Only bad news is that I dropped my laptop last Wednesday and the edge hit my left foot, middle toe, and I broke my toe. It is a temporary setback because it was impossible to walk on for a few days. But getting better!

Hi, My situation seems unique, but surely it isn't. I am here to learn, to get support so I don't feel so alone, and sometimes confused.I had a TKR revision on Valentine's Day- 2022.(Can I be on the Valentine list please? Amazing what I can get a dart of pleasure from these days:loll:) ...All kidding aside, my old prosthetic was only 9 years old, but it was loose. I have osteoarthritis and I am hyper-mobile, so those are contributing factors. This was my 6th joint replacement or revision (hips, shoulder, knee). Apparently, my femur and tibia fractured because my old prosthetic was "junk", according to surgeon. After that, when new one was being inserted, my MCL tore away from the bone.So I came home with a full leg brace and I may not bend my knee or remove the brace for 6 weeks and then "we'll see." As an extra parting gift, I left the hospital with "foot drop", which no one addressed, except to say I'd be fine in a day or so.
Not true. The peroneal nerve was compressed or poked with an anesthesia needle, and I was later told it would heal in 3-9 months. WHAT???!!! So I'm literally dragging my foot around.
It could always be worse- I know this. But if anyone out there has had to keep leg straight and not do the PT right away, or had foot drop, I would really appreciate hearing about other people's outcomes.
@HipRev2 im sorry for all you are going through. I have not had any foot drop issue but I do have an old friend that experienced it and she said acupuncture helped her. Just an idea to put out there. I hope things are getting better and good luck.

@HipRev2
You’ll get there. Not in the time frame you want…..but it will get better.
Bite size pieces - one day at a time. And if that feels too hard, then one hour at a time.

There are special imaging tests that can be done to really look at the peroneal nerve. Mine was “unremarkable” under the special mri done. My EMG too. But it was the ultrasound that finally identified the entrapment and inflammation. Keep pushing and be your own best advocate. I know you’ll get there!

I really want to encourage you to remember to not compare your recovery to anyone else's. Your body will heal in its time. That being said - yes that is usually easier said than done. My original replacement wasn't easy, but over time it got MUCH better and I was able to live and recover without realizing I was recovering. I am now on a repair from 5 weeks ago and the recovery is SO very much different than it was before. Be gentle with yourself and allow the grace to recover the way your body will need.

I feel like it's an oxymoron to say that though. OUCH on the broken toe....Hopefully that will not be a hinderance of your healing.

You know there is a great family of people who have been through things that may not be exactly the same but are truly empathetic to your situation!!!

Remember to breathe...it's the best thing you an do for yourself.

Sorry to be late to this conversation - haven't been here recently. So sorry to hear about your complications. My story is similar in 1 way. After my TKR (June 2020), my flexion made little progress ... had MUA and it got the flexion up to 110 with gentle PT for about an hour (!) before I started going backwards again rapidly. 2nd MUA broke my tibia ... so that's where the similarity is .... I was in a leg brace for the fracture for 6 weeks before slowly adding weight with a walker, then cane, then unassisted. In the end, being in leg jail while the bone healed did not change my poorly bending knee for better or worse. The swelling from the TKR then fracture finally went away after a year and I gained about 10-15 degrees. But my problem is arthrofibrosis and has been since the beginning. Sounds like you'll have a great chance at a full recovery with time - sure hope so!

@HipRev2 Oh gosh, your poor toe! If it isn't one thing... thank you for your detailed post about your DynaSplint.
I loved looking at the pictures, too.
You sound like you are dealing well and getting on with things. Congratulations on your 8 weeks anniversary!

@Maddie143 Thank you for the acupuncture suggestion! I talked to my physical therapist, and she thinks that when the knee heals a bit more, we can dry dry needling to help the peroneal nerve. Very helpful!

Hi,
I am so thankful that this place exists!! Where else would we go? I hate to bore you with the backstory, but I need to ask a question, so I need to explain..

I had a terrible experience with a TKR Revision 2 years ago ( Surgeon broke my femur taking out old prosthesis, he injected my perineal nerve with anesthetic so I had drop foot for almost a year). He explained that keeping my knee/new prosthetic together was like building a tower with zip ties, because it was such a mess when he got in there. The old prosthetic that he was taking out had started to loosen, and it did a lot of damage in there.

The good news is, I continued to heal for the whole SECOND year post op! I was told to expect nothing more than what I had at a year, which was not great. I had an awkward gait and my hips are both THR so they hurt quite a bit if I walked very far. It turned out that when he did the TKR Revision, he made my surgical leg 1-1/2 inches longer than my other leg. Getting a shoe lift has helped considerably.

My question is: My TKR Rev. knee is starting to make a major "clunk" when I first straighten it in the morning. It also does it at random times when I am walking. This is new. It it so weird that when I hit the 2 year mark and have been rejoicing that I healed a lot more than expected the second year, that this clunking business would start. I am hyper mobile; I hope it isn't loosening. Should I have this checked out? Should I go back to the doctor who did the surgery? Has anyone else experienced this?

question is: My TKR Rev. knee is starting to make a major "clunk" when I first straighten it in the morning. It also does it at random times when I am walking. This is new. It it so weird that when I hit the 2 year mark and have been rejoicing that I healed a lot more than expected the second year, that this clunking business would start. I am hyper mobile; I hope it isn't loosening. Should I have this checked out?
I have the odd little painless click now and then at 15 months- but I think I would get a new "major clunk" checked; if only for reassurance.
I hope it is OK. It may be that the clunking sounds/ feels worse than it is. I know the worries. I too am a bit hypermobile and worry I might do too much.
I take it that the clunking is painless and you didn't do anything unusual; like say twisting movements in a yoga class??

Hi HipRev, Welcome back, but sorry it's under the circumstances. You've been through a lot with surgeries, revision and recoveries. It's unfortunate you're struggling again. My best advice is to make an appointment with either the surgeon that replaced your knee, or if you've found one you have more confidence in since your TKR, start there. There is no point waiting and wondering when you may be able to receive an answer soon.

I attempted to edit your signature so it's more user friendly and those stopping by to comment are able to see at a glance the dates of the procedures you've undergone. Please take a look and let us know whether it's accurate, or not. Wondering what the TRH dated September 11, 2019 is? Please let us know.
I wish you comfort and hope you find answers soon. Please stay in touch. We do care.
@HipRev2

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

It's not unusual for our knees to clunk occasionally. If you don't have increased and/or swelling, I don't think there is anything to worry about. If it worsens, it'd be a good idea to call your doctor. Clunking is OK, increased pain and swelling isn't.

Thank you for “fixing” me, Layla! :) the September 2019 surgery was a TLH, not right! Thank you for catching my mistake! And thank you for putting my post where it belongs. AND thank you for caring!

EalingGran and sisters in him- thank you also for responding. It is so good to know that I am not alone!

I just did an aqua aerobics class- nothing strenuous- and the knee clunk kept happening during class, instead of infrequently. Clunk was accompanied by a surprisin, sharp pain, each time. I’m going to listen to you all and visit my surgeon...I hope. I will let you know what he says.

question is: My TKR Rev. knee is starting to make a major "clunk" when I first straighten it in the morning. It also does it at random times when I am walking. This is new. It it so weird that when I hit the 2 year mark and have been rejoicing that I healed a lot more than expected the second year, that this clunking business would start. I am hyper mobile; I hope it isn't loosening. Should I have this checked out?
I have the odd little painless click now and then at 15 months- but I think I would get a new "major clunk" checked; if only for reassurance.
I hope it is OK. It may be that the clunking sounds/ feels worse than it is. I know the worries. I too am a bit hypermobile and worry I might do too much.
I take it that the clunking is painless and you didn't do anything unusual; like say twisting movements in a yoga class??
EalingGran Can you tell me a little more about the effects of your hyper mobility on your joints, if any? I’m asking because I suspect the ultimate reason that I had a THR and a TKR fail and require revisions with new prostheses is because of the hyper mobility Issue. My shoulder replacement is beginning to fail, and the surgeons won’t touch it because redoing a shoulder isn’t helpful/done.

Hi again,
First...you're welcome! One question though, by TLH do you mean Left Total Hip Replacement?
@HipRev2

Yes..it should be Left THR, is that right?:blush: Oops!

EalingGran Can you tell me a little more about the effects of your hyper mobility on your joints, if any? I’m asking because I suspect the ultimate reason that I had a THR and a TKR
I was always pretty flexible. I could put the palms of my hands flat on the floor with my legs straight. I was able to bend my thumbs pretty far back- that kind of thing. I was never that athletic but I was "good" at Yoga- getting into difficult poses more easily than most people.
I was always knock kneed from childhood. I remember seeing a physio therapist and being made to pick up marbles with my toes and wear special shoes. I think the combination of mild hypermobility and knock knees put uneven pressure on my knee. The lateral arthritis then caused further collapse of the knee on that side. This meant I got more and more knock kneed- I was 20 degrees valgus on my right leg just before my surgery. This then put pressure on my hip and back. I have a family history of osteoarthritis as well.
I think some of us here have probably stressed our joints by over flexion/ extension due to hypermobility- lwading to odd wear patterns. This is my theory anyway.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom