Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR TKR problems - OS in Memphis?<

I need to know if my wife can stay in hospital room with me, then what is the best mode of travel right after TKR Revision... a 18 hour drive or a few hour flight? Then will these docs be ok with consulting with docs close by for follow up visits, physician release update forms for sick time from work etc.
You'll have to ask your surgeon about your wife staying with you and about follow-up arrangements.

I don't think either of those travel options is wise. Flying so soon after surgery, you would increase the risk of developing a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and the journey will be stressful and very uncomfortable for you.
Flying soon after surgery

Bear in mind that you will be in pain and will need heavy-duty medications for pain relief. These will make you tired and sleepy. Most people don't want to do anything more than lie in bed or take very short walks.

As for doing an 18-hour car journey - well, you won't be able to do that in one day. You'll need to break the journey up into 3 days at least, with overnight accommodation en route.

While you will be able to travel sitting cross-ways across the back seat, with your leg elevated and iced, you will need to stop about every hour to walk and stretch. That will add hours to the journey each day.

At 4 weeks post-op, I did a car journey that normally takes 4 hours. With a meal stop and shorter stops along the way, that journey took us 7 hours.

It's big risk to travel so far, so soon after major surgery, and it's also a huge responsibility for your wife. Have you discussed this with her?

I think you would be wise to try and find a surgeon skilled at doing revisions, who is closer to your home in Memphis. @Jamie may be able to help you with this.
 
Actually, it would be the hospital itself that can best answer your questions about your wife staying in the room. Some hospitals have room and arrangements for a roll-away bed, but others do not and would probably recommend nearby hotels for your wife so that she could come and go as she wished.

One of the other options that is often recommended is that you book a room in an extended stay hotel right after the surgery and stay there a week or two until you are stronger and more comfortable to travel.

All these are details that can be worked out if you have a surgeon at HHS that you definitely want to use. I would think your first step would be to meet with whomever you are considering and talk the whole thing over with them. Do you have someone you're thinking about?

I did see a revision specialist in Memphis, Dr. Richard Ennis......have you looked into him at all?
 
Actually, it would be the hospital itself that can best answer your questions about your wife staying in the room. Some hospitals have room and arrangements for a roll-away bed, but others do not and would probably recommend nearby hotels for your wife so that she could come and go as she wished.

One of the other options that is often recommended is that you book a room in an extended stay hotel right after the surgery and stay there a week or two until you are stronger and more comfortable to travel.

All these are details that can be worked out if you have a surgeon at HHS that you definitely want to use. I would think your first step would be to meet with whomever you are considering and talk the whole thing over with them. Do you have someone you're thinking about?

I did see a revision specialist in Memphis, Dr. Richard Ennis......have you looked into him at all?
I have just been reading a lot about the surgeons at HSS , That it is the top place in the world for joint replacements. I just sent all my X-rays and records to a Dr. Micheal Cross for him to review. I just don’t know, I am praying about this, and this will be 3rd time around to try to get my Left knee right, so I want the best and I want to be fixed!!! I am tired!!!
 
What is it you want to know about HHS?
Just want to know is it the best place/ best surgeons. I have sent my X-rays and records to a Dr Micheal Cross, he is supposed to review then contact me and tell me if he can fix me..... waiting
 
There is no one "best" place for surgery, but I can promise you that HHS is an excellent hospital with many great doctors. You should be in good hands there. You have made a good choice with Dr. Cross. I think you are wise to go this extra distance to receive treatment for a third surgery.

Here is a link to some options for hotels and extended stay facilities that are sponsored by HHS in case this would suit you better than trying to have your wife stay in the room with you. Sometimes surgeons want you to stay nearby for a few days after release from the hospital if you are a long distance away from home just to be sure you're stable. That's something to talk over with your surgeon when you have your initial meeting.
 
Well Dr Micheal Cross did my 3rd revision on left knee on April 19, 2018... He was awesome!!! His office was so efficient and professional, I made 2 trips from Memphis to New York , his team did diagnostics,told me exactly what was wrong and did all presurgery visits { bloodwork, cardiologists }..and set surgery date all in a 2 day New York visit!!! A couple weeks later I showed up for surgery he did it ... an overnight stay in HSS , Then I stayed 3 days in hotel across the street and flew home within 5 days. I’ve been hesitant to write a review, I’m always scared it’s gonna go bad again... I mean this was 3rd time on same knee. Well I can do anything I want , it feels pretty dang good, but Dr Cross did advise with my weight to stay away from high impact activities... oh and he said ... no crawling!! I am still a 58 yo firefighter on the busy streets of Memphis, so I’m praying It holds up a few more years!! I highly recommend Dr Micheal Cross at HSS!!!!
 
Thank you for this update. It's great to hear good news!
So your revised knee is now 15 months old. Is that right, or did you mean April 2019? Either way, it's so good to hear that your knee is doing well.
 
Thank you for this update. It's great to hear good news!
So your revised knee is now 15 months old. Is that right, or did you mean April 2019? Either way, it's so good to hear that your knee is doing well.
Yes it’s been over a year
 
Oh wow! I am so glad that I found your thread! I have also had two unsuccessful revision surgeries and have been asking the same questions that you were asking. And that’s for the best ortho surgeon anywhere in the U.S! Right now, I’m restricted to the Birmingham area because of my insurance but that will be changed as of Jan 1, 2020 and I can proceed with seeing another doctor! I’ve heard good things about HSS! Thank you so much for giving me hope!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom