Revision TKR TKR - Feel like a Failure<

I know mine is not my real knee because I can't do some of the things my 'real' knee did. It doesn't cause a problem, and I'm grateful for what I can do!
 
I'm also finding this topic extremely interesting. I hope you don't mind me chiming in, since I'm such a "newbie." Before my surgery, I read many dozens of "reports" from post-surgery rock climbers . Many of them were years after their TKR surgery. Most said that the new knee felt surprisingly stable, but many commented that it didn't quite feel "like it was their own." I imagined it would feel sort of robot-like.

I'm just coming up to 4 months for me, and I didn't get the robot-like feeling at all. With the exception of the clunking, it just feels like a regular knee with a bunch of minor stuff wrong with it. The medial and lateral collateral ligaments get sore easily, I have plenty of unpredictable "zingers," and I have the tight band feeling that is mentioned so often. But, as the flex angle at which that tightness is felt got bigger, I started to go short periods (several minutes) where I wasn't aware of the knee. Later on, I started walking across some pretty big parking lots without any "knee awareness." But, I'd be reminded when I got into the car though! A few times, I've taken stairs without thinking about my knee, but that is still rare.

This is how I think the "tight band" feeling relates to awareness: I start getting "sensations" well before the knee gets anywhere near its maximum bend. Those sensations are what gives me the "knee awareness" that I'd rather not have. Lets say my max is 120, but I start feeling tightness at 60. I'm calling that a 50% "range to awareness."
I'm thinking/hoping that as that percentage increases, I'll be aware of the knee less and less often, over a wider range of activities. My belief is that for me to increase that percentage, I have to spend quite a bit of time actually using the leg in the uncomfortable zone. My max range won't change much, but my useful range will get larger, and my most frequent daily activities won't require enough bend to make me aware of the knee at all.

The "zingers" are a separate "source of awareness," that I hope goes away (always the optimist). I have no solution at all for the "clunking," but you are lucky if that is your biggest problem.

Sorry @chrisknee , if this was too long. You started a great topic that a lot of people are interested in.
 
@Newboots - Yes, I had swelling for a very long period of time. But my recovery was not typical as I had to have two surgeries on the same knee within three months which created quite a bit of trauma. The swelling is finally gone now but it took longer than usual (I was told swelling can take up to six months to diminish). I am sorry to hear you are having issues and hope the best for your recovery.
 
@rustic - thank you for your observations. I especially like the "regular knee with a bunch of minor stuff wrong with it" analogy. I think you have it pretty well nailed regarding "knee awareness" and "range to awareness." Sounds like you're doing great at four months out! My tight band feeling has been diminishing over time and I too hope it goes away (fellow optimist).
 
@Jockette - I feel gradual improvement but it is oh so slow. Sometimes I don't even notice there is an improvement - when people say I'm walking and moving better that surprises me. However, I have noticed there are things I can do now that I couldn't a few months ago. And I am no longer taking the daily Advil pain relievers. I was determined not to have a third surgery for scar tissue and went back to physical therapy in September. The new exercises I did really helped - I am keeping them up at home. So yes I am better but I have a ways to go (still have stiffness and soreness). I am sorry to read you are continuing to have problems with your partial. Honestly, I don't know why doctors do the operation you and I had given its high rate of failure. I know I wouldn't be going through all this if I had the TKR in the first place. I feel for you - it is so frustrating.
 
What exercises did they have you do?
 
I had an infection which probably added to my awareness of the TKR. It took 2-3 years before my TKR wasn’t on my mind or I wasn’t aware of it. My RTKR leg is larger than my left but less painful. Now it feels more mine than my ouchy left knee. I do wonder if the complications makes people more aware.
 
I'll chime in also. Great topic. My TKR on my left did take some time to feel "normal" if you will. But frankly I'm not even aware of it anymore. That is until I try to kneel on it - of course then I'm very aware of it.

As for my right TKR's I've been totally aware of them. Its an odd sensation to explain, but I'm totally aware of the right knee. Now that can be attributed to needing to be replaced again, sigh. With each step I'm aware, sleeping, getting up and down from a chair - pretty much all of the time I'm aware of it. I occasionally remind myself the left has been replaced and someday in the distant future the right will feel like the left - like a knee.
 
@KarriB - I hadn't thought about complications making people more aware. Totally makes sense this is a factor. If I didn't still have the lingering issues I believe the awareness would be much less. Thanks for the insight.
 
I believe that was the case for me, of course I haven’t had a “normal” recovery to compare it to, but that infection, subsequent 2nd surgery, use of an immediate and antibiotics were always on my mind. Even a year after I was still condensing my steps to protect the knee. Not anymore though.
 
It's taking A LONG time for me. Still very stiff and I'm still not strong climbing stairs and I have a very strange pain when I bend my leg a certain way. Feels like a knife going through the center of my knee. I plan to ask a NEW Ortho about it after I get a referral to one from my doctor. I wish you well... it seems to be a much longer journey for some!
 
I plan to ask a NEW Ortho about it after I get a referral to one from my doctor.
I'm so sorry you're having a painful time of it. If I were you I'd find a new OS far away from my current doctor. You need someone that has no contact at all with your present OS. Someone to look at your knee with fresh, new eyes.
 
@chrisknee @DebM
So I just read the first few posts of your thread and Deb your response and burst into tears.
I’m 4.5 mnths and going thru a horrid period right now feeling like a failure. The family I have here have been amazing helping me keep my head above water and I look forward to reading the whole thread when I can see again without bleary eyes but I wanted to say thank you for using that F word I’ve been so afraid to say
 
@traceys I was intrigued by you saying you started reading this thread at the beginning. So I went back and just finished the first 3 pages. I found my posts to Chris and it was interesting to read what I was doing at 6-7 months post op.
 
@funkymuse - You're the first person I've seen reference the "knife" feeling. I can totally relate to that. I sure am hoping this diminishes over time.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom