TKR Thumper's recovery thread

Unfortunately, this surgery affects the whole body. Your walking is different than before surgery and your body is adjusting to that. Different areas will take their turns hurting. It can get quite frustrating, but is short-lived! Before you know it, all those body pains will disappear!
 
Thanks @Bismitmom1, it makes sense to me. My leg was bowed to the outside before surgery and is less so now. I wish it was even straighter but guess I should be grateful that its not 'cuz that might really be painful.
Funny but it makes me think of the childrens song "the knee bones connected to the leg bone and the leg bones connected to the foot bone" LOL. Sure helps to understand how knee surgery can result in various aches and pains through out the body.
Good luck getting that song out of your head.
 
Our bodies have to adjust to our “new” posture and way of moving. I had back pain at one point in my recovery, when I started walking for longer distances. My body was so used to my old, broken down knees and gait that my new correctly aligned knees caused the muscles in my hips and back to protest. It took weeks to work it out. I just kept walking as best I could, practicing good gait and posture, and my body got back into good alignment.

It it’s any consolation, I have fewer back problems now! Haven’t had back spasms in several months, and I used to have them all the time. So the overall effect has been good.
 
Our bodies have to adjust to our “new” posture and way of moving. I had back pain at one point in my recovery, when I started walking for longer distances. My body was so used to my old, broken down knees and gait that my new correctly aligned knees caused the muscles in my hips and back to protest. It took weeks to work it out. I just kept walking as best I could, practicing good gait and posture, and my body got back into good alignment.

It it’s any consolation, I have fewer back problems now! Haven’t had back spasms in several months, and I used to have them all the time. So the overall effect has been good.
@SusieShoes I'm glad to hear that about less back problems! I'm definitely ready for that!
@ThumperJB, thanks for the earworm!!! Lol!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 
Must leave the aquacel until next Saturday and delayed PT till next week.
Obviously that's going to delay the start of your Scar Shield testing. Let me know what happens on Saturday!

At first I saw this as a set back but now going to think of it as a reassement.
What a great attitude!!! This is exactly the right way to look at what you're experiencing. It definitely sounds as though your surgeon is recommending things that will work for your specific situation and that's exactly what you want.

I have spinal stenosis and he is worried that my knee pain might be causing me to walk with abnormal gate that is increasing my back pain.
Be sure you are using your walker or crutches when walking about - even in the house. Not doing so in the early stages of recovery can put additional strain on your back. If it's a walker you're using, be sure it is adjusted so that you can walk in an upright position and not hunched over even a little bit. Sometimes hospitals and therapists tend to make them too low....so experiment with that to get the most upright walking position possible. If it's crutches you're using, they also need to be properly adjusted so the tops just barely brush your armpits when you stand straight. Do not lean your arms on the tops. Pressure as you walk should be on the bars where your hands are. You should be able to walk completely upright with them.
 
4 weeks since my RTKR and early this morning I was able to sleep on my left side for 3 whole hours. I can't believe how much more energy and stamina I have today. A real turning point.

I start outpatient PT tomorrow. Gonna let them know from the start I'm open to gentle ROM & stretching only. Wish me luck.
 
7 weeks since my last surgery. Out patient has been going well, had my 8th visit today. Started out at 70 degrees of flexion on the left now at 83. Was 68 degrees on the right now at 85. I know I'm slower to recover than some of you but I'm pleased with my progress.

Went shopping for bio oil today and bought a quick dry version, Mederma. It feels great on my scar. My leg was really sensitive to clothing brushing against it, this makes it feel so much better.
 
You are doing well for have two surgeries less than 9 months apart! Remember, it takes at least a year or more to recover from this surgery and you are having two to recover from now! I'm glad the bio oil is helping desensitize your scar.
 
Hi Thumper,
At least the numbers are going in the right direction. You'll get there!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom