THR Nov 11th and I'm a nervous wreck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank-you for your suggestions. I was wondering about underwear and joggers. I'm not sure if it's ok because of where the incision will be, although to be honest I'm have no idea where it will be exactly. Something else that has not been discussed! My Mum recently had TKR and insists that it was suggested that she not wear under garments. I like the idea of a fleece. I'm a cold bod and need my heat. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
My Surgeon had me pack loose clothing. Which I interpreted as Basketball Shorts and T-Shirts.

Make sure your clothes are loose and comfy. No one gets dressed up to go to the hospital.
 
I'm a chicken, with a yellow stripe a foot wide down my back!
If you are, then so is everyone else on here! I've often said that if I'd had a pound for every grown up patient who has held onto my hand in pre-op and even cried on my shoulder during the span of my career, I'd now be a very wealthy woman! What would be very uncommon is to find patients who aren't scared and terrified of going into surgery.
Anything to do with needles makes me want to run for the hills.
You know what? I helped with many, many spinals and epidurals in my lifetime and always said never in a million years! That is anyone ever wanted to give me a spinal, they'd have to catch me first!
[Bonesmart.org] THR Nov 11th and I'm a nervous wreck!

But when it came to it, I trotted into the anaesthetic room like a meek little lamb and let them do what they had to. And then found it really wasn't that bad after all!
I don't know the time of my op, only that I need to be at the Hospital at 06.45.
If you are going in that early, there is a very real possibility you are first on the list which usually starts at 9am. Either first or second but what time the second will be depends upon what the first case is. It might be a small case or it might be another hip replacement. :wink:
I was wondering about underwear and joggers. I'm not sure if it's ok because of where the incision will be, although to be honest I'm have no idea where it will be exactly.
Well whatever you do, don't wear pants when going to theatre! There was nothing that irritated me more than having to take the knickers off an unconscious patient just before we operated! In one hospital I worked, they used to let all the gynae patients come to theatre with their knickers on! :doh: :gaah:

However, there really is no need to wear them in the ward either. 'Commando' is the order of the day! :wink:
 
However, there really is no need to wear them in the ward either. 'Commando' is the order of the day! :wink:
I found tie side bikini bottoms just fab although commando and long t shirt type nightie was the main aitire i used in hospital. I needed to have a little bit more on for the physio and so the bikini bottoms and not having to struggle into knickers made it so much easier. I must have carried on wearing them until the restrictions were lifted as it was so easy to get dressed. I was terrified and in floods of tears before the.
 
Well, I had a whole buncha stuff in my bag when I went to the hospital and I think the only thing I used out of there was my toothbrush and my CD player for my relaxation CDs. I just kept on the hospital gowns through my stay. You are going to have a hard time putting much of anything else on without help anyway. If you get out of bed, you just put on a second hospital gown on with the opening to the front and you are decent. I didn't see anybody else in my hospital ward who was wearing anything but hospital gown stuff. I had both replacements within about a month and it was the same both times.

If you are going in that early, it will probably be over before you know it and you'll be back in your room snoozing. The waiting time and the "what if-ing" was BY FAR the worst part of the whole thing. You'll be surprised how much better you feel how soon.

Peace and love to you.
 
Thanks to Sean, Puddle fish and Butterfly for your reply. I've made a mental list of things I might need, but when I run through it, it appears as if I'm of on holidays! I've bought jogging bottoms and leggings in much bigger sizes than I need, which are very roomy/baggy and hope these will be appropriate. Long T-shirt nighties were the first on my list along with a dressing gown. What about slippers? I wear the mule type. Mainly because I can get them on without help and because my ankles and feet have been swelling so much recently, they are the only thing that will fit comfortably! A question intended for all you ladies. My pre-op instructions state that no make-up should be worn. I don't want anyone to assume that I want to make-up as if I were going to a party, but really, No make-up at all. I'm one of many women who have over plucked their eyebrows for many years, to the point where they are almost non-existent. I use eyebrow make-up and wonder if this, along with a dash of mascara would be allowed?

Josephine. Thank-you for your words of wisdom. Among my failings, of which there are many, is my prudishness. I understand not wearing under garments into the operating room, although it does make me feel uncomfortable. Having read through many posts, I am aware that many people have a period of urine incontinence after surgery. Unfortunately, I have been having this problem for some time. I spoke to my Doctor about the situation, and was told that because of Osteoarthritis in my lower spine, spurs ( I think that's the word he used) were pressing on the nerves, causing me to be unaware that I needed to empty my bladder or to cease the flow once started. To date, I've not been examined, and all that has been done is for incontinence pads to be issued, that are delivered every 2nd month. Which brings me to a main concern. If I am not to wear underwear, how will I cope. The thought of having an accident fills me with horror and mortification.

To something a little lighter. Have any of you boys and girls, had any experience of Orpington Hospital. I was originally booked into St Mary's in Sidcup, but for some reason, will now go to Orpington.

I feel very much in the dark about what is going to happen. I thought that I would at least have an opportunity to discuss anaesthetic options before being admitted. No chance of an epidural for me. I want to be in LaLa land, hearing and seeing nothing.
 
Having read through many posts, I am aware that many people have a period of urine incontinence after surgery.
Actually, no they don't. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times a THR patient as peed on the table - and that's in 50 odd years!
If I am not to wear underwear, how will I cope. The thought of having an accident fills me with horror and mortification.
Honey, please try not to worry about this. As nurses, we are well accustomed to dealing with 'accidents' and think nothing of it. That's why we have all the equipment and materials on hand - and clean linen - to deal with things like that. We know it's not your fault and also that you don't do it deliberately, so why would we impose such feelings of mortification on you?

The other thing to remember is that you will be starved for some hours before surgery and after won't be eating or drinking much either. So your kidneys will be taking a little holiday! Result - so will the bladder! Aaaannnd .... once the bone pain is gone, your problem probably will be too! :thumb:
 
laceysnannie Remember you are only going to be in the hospital a couple or three nights in all probability. I was in there 2 nights for the first hip replacement and 3 nights for the second one, including the day of surgery (and I am 67). So you are not going to need a bunch of clothes. The first night you probably will not care what you are wearing because you will be pretty drugged up. Don't worry about what you take with you -- you are not going to the moon, and if you forget something you need, someone can bring it to you. I took WAY too much stuff the first time and never used it. And going home I just wore the clothes I had worn in.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
 
They do mean no make up or even body lotions etc. The little pads they need to stick to you to moiniter your heart etc need a good contact. As for makeup its remarakble how good you will look once the pain of arthritis has been wiped from your face. I was mortified two days after surgery I awoke soaked in sweat everything was completely soaked I was drippeng wet. The nurses couldnt have been more helpful they changed everything helped me wash got me settled in a clean nightie bedding all at 3am apparently its very common reduction in drugs, side effect of surgery who knows. Im glad I had them replaced as I have my life back and that of quiet a few others :-). all the best for you surgery.
 
Thank-you for your reply Puddlefish. I can survive without body lotion etc, although I admit not using deodorant will feel a little odd. I had a very lovely Nurse arrive yesterday to take blood for type cross match(?). I'd previously had it done at Farnborough but somehow or other Orpington didn't receive it. I was able to get answers to some of my questions, and as you say, no make-up. I fully intend to use my eyebrow make-up. That is a necessity! The nurse made me laugh when she said that the strips that they use to keep my eyes closed during surgery would remove the make-up when they were taken off after surgery. I can see it now. I'll look like I've shaved off the middle of each eyebrow. First thing on my to do list after surgery. Repair make- up.:whistle: I'm so pleased that the Nurse came. She will be on the ward when I arrive on Monday morning. A lovely familiar face. Panic has settled in big time now. Only two more sleeps. I need to get my bag packed and finish my cleaning. I'm lucky because my Niece is staying with me this weekend and is helping me to get things done. Her Daughter, my Great Niece and Goddaughter, is here too. She is a proper little mummy and insists on looking after me. She's my baby girl and keeps me smiling. I'll be kept busy with little time to worry, I hope.
 
Once you arrive at the hospital laceysnannie the whole process of admitting you and preparing you for the OR goes so quickly. Lots of activity and attention all for you :)

Looking forward to reading your first post op update.. As you are so close, why not start a thread on the recovery side (remember only one thread, not like the pre op side of the forum, where we don't mind multiple threads) that way you will be ready... :)
 
As per your suggestion Poppet, my next post will be on the recovery side. I've been up since 05.30. I couldn't sleep. Pain in both hips kicked in big time. It's almost as though my hip knows what's coming and wanted to remind me why I'm having surgery. A timely reminder! This time tomorrow I will be cursing myself for having agreed to surgery, but at the same time, wanting to be on the 'other side' without bone on bone pain. I'm hoping all goes well, mainly because it will give me the courage and incentive to have my right hip done. Something, which up to this moment, I have refused to consider. I'm feeling tearful and emotional. full of self pity and woe is me! Positive thinking required. Get today over and done with. From tomorrow I'll be on the mend. See you on the other side!
 
You will be so pleasantly surprised laceysnannie... I will be watching out for you - good luck :)
 
Hi Annie

All the best tomorrow, maybe running is a thing of the past but i am back on my bike and you will be advised probably that cycling and swimming are the two best forms of exercise after you have had your hip replacement.

Billy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom