THR coming up March 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbaranna

Country
United States United States
Well it seems like the time is flying by and I will be in the or soon and find emotionally I just am not prepared for it. I am scared to death if you want to know the truth.

My Dr told me that what he uses is titanium materials and I wonder how that effects you in cold weather like we have? They act like anterior is super great and that I will be running around in no time and cant imagine that.

I have these fears that after I will be afraid to move my leg for fear that it will come out of what that set it in and by the way he doesn't use cement.
Will I be able to kneel etc. ride a bike and do exercise?

They said I wont need to go to rehab or anything like that but I think I will be afraid to be by myself. What if it comes out of place? I know these are all crazy things but I can't help thinking them.

Barbaranna......these fears are quite common. Surgery can be scary and it is a big deal. I'm glad you posted the specific things you're afraid of, because then we can address each one individually.

The metal in joint replacements is not impacted by cold weather. It is deep inside your body and warmed by the tissue surrounding it. So....no worries there, okay?

The anterior approach can be a wonderful one that may allow you to greet your recovery with no restrictions. That kind of depends on the surgeon's protocols. But.....please don't fall into the marketing trap of thinking you'll be back to normal in a mere 3 weeks. For most people the recovery is about the same no matter what approach is done. So....expect to measure your recovery in terms of weeks and months. During this time you will be improving and you certainly will not be bed-bound at any point. But, you won't be running marathons either! This is a major surgical procedure and recovery takes time.

Please don't worry about the joint dislocating. It takes quite a lot for that to happen. You'll be up walking the day of or right after surgery. And you'll be walking and doing stairs (slowly, of course) before you are allowed to leave the hospital. This means when you get home, you'll be able to move yourself around just fine even in the early days. You may want to get a raised toilet seat to make yourself more comfortable. And you'll be using a walker to get around for a while. But you'll do just fine.

Once you're healed you should be able to do just about anything you wish in terms of activity. You'll be pleasantly surprised!!! Lots of people do rehab with a hip replacement, but it really isn't needed. What's more important is to listen to your body and follow what it's telling you. The best exercise is walking. You want to begin and progress slowly so that you don't stress the tender tissues. They need time to heal.

Here are some articles that we give to folks when they are right out of surgery. I think they will help you more now so you know what to expect with your recovery. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions or to come chat about your fears. We've all been where you are and understand that fear of the unknown!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Welcome @barbaranna, you might like to check these articles out also...

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.

Gee thanks! I just keep thinking about what I saw on the video and have to stop looking at them. They also have me down for a class before surgery. They said there are exercises to do before surgery for blood clots etc and I am not sure what that is all about.

@barbaranna ............I had the same questions you asked and the same fears, so you are not alone in that area. The Administrators are amazing at answering questions and easing you fears. I having BTHR on March 7th and it can't get here soon enough for me.

I am scheduled for the same day! I will be right there worrying along with you !

@barbaranna, I am 3 weeks post op from LTHR using the anterior approach. I watched the videos (nearly got sick) and had all the same fears you are experiencing. I can tell you I am amazed at how smoothly my recovery has been going and how happy I am that I had the surgery. The worst part was the tremendous fear I had prior to the surgery. Nothing I have experienced post op has compared to that fear. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to reading you post op reports!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back