TKR thneed's Right TKR

@Odieodell I sleep that way too! The scissors thing. And I'll have you know, I tried it again last night and got to about a minute before I had to stop, which is longer than I've been able to do before. But ah, that one blissful minute of sleeping on my side!
I found it easiest to sleep on my non-surgical side with a medium density pillow between knees at first. Shift position until you find your most comfortable position, after time I could do the same on my other side. Oh and pain meds before bed were imperative!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I am sorry I cannot reply individually, this is the first time I've been on my computer since the last time I posted, I just haven't gotten a comfortable spot to use my laptop yet.

My sleep was better the last couple nights, not great but better. I'm in quite a bit of pain but I'm hopeful after talking with the physical therapist today. I was in too much pain to do a couple of the more intense exercises, and she agreed, she said we need to focus on stretching gently and massages and ice, rather than strengthening exercises.

I'm also an idiot when it comes to the meds. My surgeon prescribed an NSAID anti-inflammatory and the label said I can take it once or twice a day. I have only been taking it once in awhile, because I didn't really know when I should, if that makes sense? But my PT suggested taking it the full twice a day for a few days, just to see if it helps with the swelling/tightness. I thought tylenol was an anti-inflammatory in addition to pain-killer, but I learned it's not. So I probably should have been taking the NSAID regularly all along. Regardless, I'll see how it helps over the weekend.

Oh, and thanks Jockette for the list of abbreviations.

she said we need to focus on stretching gently and massages and ice, rather than strengthening exercises.
It is way too early to even think about strengthening. You have to heal before worrying about that.
But my PT suggested taking it the full twice a day for a few days, just to see if it helps with the swelling/tightness.
Be sure you have something on your tummy before taking those. They can be really rough on it.

Anyway, I consider this to be progress!
Yes, take those little victories whenever you can! Slow and steady wins the race!

I iced pretty much all day whenever I was reclining. I had an ice machine at night and used ice packs during the day. I could change them out when I got up to go to the bathroom. I never had a lounge doctor (but I hear they are awesome) but I had two body pillows and I used one to prop my leg up with another pillow on top (both length-wise) in bed and another one folded in half and under my leg when on the reclining couch. Side sleeping took awhile for me, my knee just did NOT like the sideways pressures when on my side for several months when it had a chance to heal more.

Good luck to you! Your attitude is great and is half of your recovery, according to my first surgeon. :flwrysmile:

Reactions: shr
@sistersinhim Yes, she did mention to make sure I eat before taking the anti-inflammatories. I told her, "nobody has to tell me twice to eat more". :)

@Susie-Q The lounge doctor just got delivered yesterday and I have to say it's a bit... intense? I don't mind the height, but my leg is still so tight feeling that it's a bit uncomfortable to use it. I am thinking once the swelling decreases a bit more it will be better. Still glad I have it, I'm sure I'll come to love it. I like your idea of the body pillows. And yeah, the sideways pressure on my thigh is what does me in when I try sideways sleeping. But it's getting better. This morning I noticed the pressure on the thigh was a little less uncomfortable sitting on the toilet. That's progress!

Thanks. I try to have a good attitude even in the worst of times. But sometimes I can't help a little moaning and groaning when it's bad.

Oh, I got a new chair yesterday! I had been using my husband's recliner, but it's very difficult to raise and lower and frankly it's bulky and uncomfortable. A friend was trying to sell a practically brand new power lift chair, and I bought it from her. It's a lot less bulky than a traditional recliner, plus it's powered! Not the perfect chair (perhaps a bit small to sleep in) but a whole lot better than I had. Along with the chair we cleaned up my room, it's so much more pleasant in here when it's clean and tidy and that can change your whole mood.

Yes, you are totally entitled to some moaning and groaning! You've been through major surgery and the recovery is long and often painful. Knee replacement is not for sissies!

Congrats on the new chair! :egypdance: With my first TKR we had a reclining couch that had a lever you had to pull and then you had to use your legs to push it closed when you got up. I got good at doing that with just my good leg but it was often awkward. Now we've got an electronic reclining couch with buttons on the side, so much better!!

I love a good clean up too. I have a tendency to let things get cluttered and when I can clean up and get rid of stuff it's good for my soul.

Sorry I havent' updated for a couple days.

I went for my first post-op appointment with the surgeon yesterday. He said I'm doing great and we scheduled surgery for my my other knee in September. He also prescribed a steroid pack to help with the swelling, and last night I had the best sleep ever (well, since my surgery anyway). And he also said I don't have to wear the compression stockings and that was so wonderful tearing those things off for good.

I also had a PT session later in the afternoon. I got a different therapist that last week (although I did know him from pre-hab last summer). He worked me a bit harder and was also trying to get me to trust the knee more. I told him I haven't trusted it for years so it's hard to turn that off so quickly, lol. But I did appreciate his encouragement and I am relying less on the walker since that session. I am still using it, but not leaning on it and lurching around. I really feel I can trust that leg, it feels solid. I think I've turned a major corner.

One question for those of you have been or are going through it: When I walk, doing it properly with heel-toe and decent posture and not leaning on the walker, I feel a little sort of popping sensation at the back of my knee, with almost every step. Like some tendon or something is popping back into place whenever I step. It doesn't hurt at all, but it scares me because I don't know if it's normal. I started feeling it last night and all this morning it's been happening. Has anyone else felt this? Is it permanent or just the joints trying to figure out where they belong? I do feel the swelling has decreased since I started that steroid pack, maybe now I'm just feeling new things?

I read the link you provided and it's a feeling, not a sound. Sounds, I don't mind. The ankle on my other leg clicks constantly all day long, it's almost comforting at this point, lol. This feels like a tendon or muscle (I'm not good with anatomy) is moving when I start taking a step, then snapping back into place when I finish the step. Kinda like a guitar string. It's not painful though, just disconcerting.

It's very normal to feel popping as you heal; those feelings will fade away as time goes on. Since it's not painful, I wouldn't worry about it. I know it's annoying, but a lot of this recovery is, and you will notice it fading over time.

@lovetocookandsew Thank you. I am a bit of a worry-wort and the popping itself doesn't bother me, but just the thought that it might be something going wrong with my knee that scared me. Just knowing it's normal is a huge relief.

One of my knees clicks/pops and the other doesn't. Sometimes I can hear it but most of the time it is just a sensation. I think it is diminishing or maybe I'm just getting used to it.

You are in very early days in this recovery. Try to relax and try not to worry. :console2:

Accept the fact that you are going to feel weird sensations, aches and pains, here, there, and everywhere, many that will seem to have no explanation. And you will feel these for quite a while yet. This is TKR Recovery, and very normal.

I had a weird feeling behind my knee (tendon or ligament) for quite a while after the surgery but it gradually resolved. It was all part of the body adjusting. That's not to say at the time I wasn't very preoccupied with it. ;)

Sorry it's been awhile since I've updated. I am now a bit more than 4 weeks out and things are going pretty well. I have transitioned to the cane for almost every situation (though I still use the walker when I get up in the middle of the night just because I'm still half asleep). I am sleeping a bit better but still not like the old days. I can even sleep on my side a bit but not too long.

PT is going well, I was even able to go all the way around on the recumbent bike a couple days ago. I am still taking the pain med about once or twice a day, depending on what I'm doing.

I really expected to feel a bit better than I do this far out, but I am accepting the way it is and just listening to my leg. The improvements are slower than expected but I can't really speed it up so no sense in lamenting. I have already scheduled the surgery for my left knee (in September) so obviously it's not so bad that I'm backing out. Looking forward to maybe this time next year when I feel back to normal again.

I really expected to feel a bit better than I do this far out
Actually, you're not far out at all, you'll only 1/12 of the way through this year-long recovery.
Looking forward to maybe this time next year when I feel back to normal again.
That's what it's all about and worth what we go through. A normal life is the end goal and you'll get there!

I've appreciated reading about your journey @thneed. It seems you have tempered your expectations with realistic goals ... and paid heed to the sage advice you can find from so many on here who have literally walked in your shoes. Carry on.

I have got to figure this sleep thing out or I will go crazy.
I literally had the apparently classic breakdown a few weeks ago- end of my 4th &my 5th week of recovery I was so sleep deprived. I had my six year old get a horrible cold(not covid) that made her sicker than covid ever came close my second week of recovery&I never caught back up. I ended up calling recruits and my daughter got extra grandma time & I did the two hour interval sleep for like 2 straight days...looked like a long weekend from my early 20s afterwards Im sure, but I am amazed I pulled all-nighters studying in college all the time&now I don't make it past 10pm! lol
Take extra when you can- your body will thank you!

@NightQuilter Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying my recovery, probably more than I am, lol. :) I really think that's the value of these forums, finding not only similarities in others' journeys, but also realizing we are all unique and no two stories are the same.

@BionicMom Ugh, I can totally relate. Glad you were able to get some outside help. Having a six year old must make it extra challenging! Mine are teens so at least they can help around the house (not that they do without lots of nagging, but still they can at least take care of themselves).

This was a challenging week, but I feel pretty good. Monday was the one-month mark where they do all the measurements at PT. It was rough, and I did break down and cry a bit. Not necessarily from pain but from frustration. I really like all the folks at my PT, I feel they listen to me and are gentle yet challenging. But Monday they were a bit more aggressive, and I told them to stop more than once (which they did). Mostly I was hoping to reach the measurement goals and I fell a tad short. I know from reading here and elsewhere that everyone is different and those goals are just something to strive for and not get all worried about, but still it's human nature to hear a number and want to reach it, lol. I guess I was always that kid in school who was always disappointed when I didn't get an A in every class.

Anyway, then a tornado hit our neighborhood the next day, so that's been lovely to deal with. 24 hours without power, dozens of trees snapped off that crushed a lot of our fencing, clean-up that I really want to help with but can only do so much. But our house didn't get damaged, and nobody was hurt so I can't really complain.

Today (Friday) was the first time I've taken an oxy since Tuesday. And I only took it tonight because the Tylenol wasn't helping and it was time for my evening stretches/exercises. I had worked a bit in the yard as well as gone grocery shopping today, so it's probably the most active I've been since the surgery. I didn't want to take it, but I recognize it as a tool that helps me do my exercises properly. So now I'm icing, watching yet another episode of Lost, and ready to (hopefully) sleep decently tonight.

Thanks for reading this long oxy-fueled rant, lol. I hope everyone else's recoveries are going well this week.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I am sorry I cannot reply individually, this is the first time I've been on my computer since the last time I posted, I just haven't gotten a comfortable spot to use my laptop yet.

My sleep was better the last couple nights, not great but better. I'm in quite a bit of pain but I'm hopeful after talking with the physical therapist today. I was in too much pain to do a couple of the more intense exercises, and she agreed, she said we need to focus on stretching gently and massages and ice, rather than strengthening exercises.

I'm also an idiot when it comes to the meds. My surgeon prescribed an NSAID anti-inflammatory and the label said I can take it once or twice a day. I have only been taking it once in awhile, because I didn't really know when I should, if that makes sense? But my PT suggested taking it the full twice a day for a few days, just to see if it helps with the swelling/tightness. I thought tylenol was an anti-inflammatory in addition to pain-killer, but I learned it's not. So I probably should have been taking the NSAID regularly all along. Regardless, I'll see how it helps over the weekend.

Oh, and thanks Jockette for the list of abbreviations.
I hated my compression socks too! The hospital measured my ankle to assess the size required and told me I should wear them for two weeks. But they were always tight for my calf and when my knee swelled then the top of the compression socks really cut in and was terribly painful. I decided to abandon them all together and it was such a relief! I’m no expert but it would seem more sensible to remove the compression socks whenever you can lie down with your legs raised (including at night) and wear them in the day if you are on your feet.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jbrmoto
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom