Guest viewing is limited

TKR This is hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, I know what you are feeling! It really does get better!
I wasnt depressed as much as I cried at anything and everything, and had incredible anxiety - both foreign to me.
Be kind to yourself. It's a short time out with respect to your life.
With time it does get better, I under dose myself regularly until it catches up with me.
Take it from me it's not worth it, why live in discomfort when you don't need to?
At 7 weeks I am still in the energy drain period as well, each day gets better.
Hang in there!
 
You are not alone. So glad you found the forum--it has helped me a lot. I don't have anything to add to what everyone else has said except--remember, you are on the mend. It just takes time.
 
of course people don't get it and want you to sub, etc. You just need to tell them that you had major surgery and are not available until 12 weeks in the future.
 
@Walkinginthesand I was told to expect 6-8 weeks off work. I did not return to work until almost 11weeks due to my RA flaring up and affecting my knee. I have a desk job that allowed me to sit and ice as needed. I was very tired at the end of the day my first two weeks back. I ate dinner, iced, tramadol and bed. TKR is not a quick and easy recovery. At 4 months I still take Tramadol as needed. Don't worry about what others think. Your leg has been through a lot and unless the have had a TKR they probably won't understand. :ice::sleeep::elevate: Have a good week!
 
1. pain level varies from stiffness and aching to a 7 or 8 stabbing pain. This pain seems to move around to different areas left side then right, above, etc. Snow storm came in on Friday and I was in tears.
That sounds very familiar. I am almost 4 weeks out and in a similar state.
2. I was on vicodin in hospital and that did well! Got a little itchy so doctor changed it to Tylenol 3. I have been using this drug before surgery to hobble along! But I am not one to challenge. Also prescribed Tramadol. My doc is an excellent surgeon but hard nosed, no bed-side manner type guy. At two weeks when I got staples removed, I told him I could not rest and he told me to get off narcotics, they mess with sleep patterns. So...I tried and got myself in a mess. I began reg Tylenol every 4 hours. 1500-2000 mg. I have few Tylenol 3 left and not sure if he will reorder.
You should be on regular Tramadol not occasional. I take 100mgs plus 1,000mgs of Tylenol every 5-6 hours routinely as I find that's what works best for me this time around. Last knee, I used the schedule skigirl posted for you. That gives you a dose of something every 4 hours which is actually better if it works for you. It's all very well for you surgeon to say come off them as they mess with sleep patterns but that's not the only thing that does it. Pain does that even more effectively than narcotics! Keep taking the pills, you really, really need them just now. If your surgeon cuts you off (and you won't really know until be does) approach your GP and see if he will oblige. I believe most of them will.
3. Extension was at zero -clear down to bed in hospital and still is. ROM is not being measured but is past 90
Excellent!
4. I am so tired and not resting well that I pretty much go from chair to bed. From book to TV. I have just begun sorting laundry, pulling up the bed, etc. afraid to drive yet being as it is my right knee. Showering and dressing makes me tired and wobbly. Do I just need to go do it!??
No, absolutely not! Did you not read the articles Celle left for you in post #4? There is one entitled Activity progression for TKRs which you should read. It details what you should be doing at each week post-op. Follow it closely.
5. Again, my doc is different. He believes the only exercise I really need is sitting in a chair with knees at 90 degrees then scooting my bottom forward to make knee bend more and hold. I do knee slides in bed 4-5 times per day. I also have a ball I put under knee and it roll back and forth to replicate the motion machine in hospital. I don't ice enough. My doc believes ice on top, heating pad on back. How often? All day?
Your exercise regimen is perfect though I have to admit, I did less! Read this for more advice about doing heel slides Heel slides and how to do them. Follow this closely too. I wouldn't agree with the 'ice on top. heat at back' and have never heard of it before. I use ice on the front. sides and back. The best routine is to ice about 40 minutes at a time every 2-4 hours. A freshly operated upon knee should never have heat applied as it makes the swelling and pain worse.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom