TKR The hardest part is not knowing where you're supposed to be

RobinEH1,
Your PT is too aggressive and is setting you back in your recovery. You were doing well before you went back, and could barely walk when you left PT.
You do not have to go to the office your OS is affiliated with, you can go where ever you want, and the OS has to write a script for that facility.
Extension: exercises for improvement #4 the heel to toe gait is very important to facilitate extension.
You are doing great!
Your flexion is fine and will continue to increase, as will your extension with gentle exercise, and walking.
Good luck,
 
I should've known better but they stretched me and hurt me, but this time it was not more rom but a greater extension! She had my leg up on her shoulder and then had it back down on the table pressing on it. The next morning I could barely walk but got myself up and went to work and iced at work. At least I knew what happened, I was pushed too far at physical therapy! The thing is I told them they should not be doing that to me while they were doing it.
You were doing OK without PT, and PT like this you don't need. From now on, nobody touches your leg. It's your leg and you don't have to plead or argue with your therapist. It's as simple as this: if you tell them to STOP, they have to stop. No arguments, no discussion. You don't even have to give them a reason, because you are the only one who has the right to say what will happen to your knee. Walk away from these people and don't go back.
I was again threatened that I'm at eight weeks now and I have scar tissue building up and that's why I can't straighten my leg completely. I was also told that if I don't stretch now through the pain that I'll have to go under anesthesia and have the MUA done. Stood up for myself and told them no one can make me do that. They said That my leg will always have a bend in it always when it should not. I see the doctor on the 27th for my 12 week check up and I'm worried if I leave physical therapy completely at what he will say as the physical therapy is connected/owned by the practice.
It makes me so mad to hear that sort of thing!
They told you a load of rubbish and they were entirely wrong, not only in what they said, but also in their approach to you. It is unprofessional and indefensible to treat their patients like that. Their knowledge is out of date anyway. They need to go to a refresher course.
You have a year, or even longer, to achieve ROM. There's no need to rush.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Don't worry about what your surgeon says. Remember, it's your knee and no one can make you have anything done to it against your will. Simply tell your surgeon that your therapists were hurting you, to such an extent that you suffered for days afterwards and that you do not intend to allow that any more.

Don't be intimidated by these so-called professionals. They can offer advice, but only you can decide whether to accept or reject that advice. After all, how many of them have had a knee replacement?
 
PT is working against you. My home therapist was very gentle and never pushed but after each session I would be so painful and swollen. After reading many stories on here I opted not to do OP PT. My activities of daily living with heel slides throughout the day and a recumbent bike was all I needed. Now I am 4 days post op with my left knee and I don't want PT near me! I am trying to put it off about 10 days.
Think you are on the right track realizing that your PT is way too aggressive and you can do most (if not all) yourself.

This time my OS has prescribed aqua therapy for my OP rehab. I have fibromyalgia and part of my non compliance to PT was the pain and exhaustion. I am thinking aqua therapy will be more beneficial overall and will not cause undue stress on my muscles.

Listen to your knee and keep on with what is working for you.
 
I think you can serve yourself best by focusing on practical aspects of your recovery like going up and down the stairs, getting in and out of the car, walking, riding a bike, etc. These are things we need to do/want to do. You can celebrate increasing comfort and strength and stamina and ignore the ROM numbers.
 
It took a long time (as in months) for my first TKR to achieve 0° extension. Then one day, at about the one year mark, I realized I was at about -2° (more than straight, bending slightly backwards). This slightly negative bend is normal and physiologic, and I didn't do anything in particular to achieve it. To be honest, I had stopped trying and it just happened. Now I am going through the same process with my newer RTKR. Unfortunately my right knee was frozen into a bit of bend for some time before surgery, so it might take longer to achieve full extension. I am not too worried, however I try to get in a little "hang time" (leg extended with ankle on towel roll) every evening while watching TV. Sometimes I lay a couple of soft ankle weights above and below the joint and relax for a minute or two. Also, I am in the camp of "learn a few things from PT, then stop going".
 
While relaxing, watching tv I would stretch my leg out and rest my foot on the ottoman, with the ottoman pushed away from the chair. Just let gravity do its thing. I never did anything else for extension.
 
Don't be put off we all recover st different rates. So go with the flow keep going st you own pace
 
Ahhhhhh..... I can feel my sanity returning:yes!:.... thank you all for bulking me up!
I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have help out there when you really need it:dancy:

I'm going to try a few of those extension exercises especially the one about pushing my ottoman out a little..... And making sure that I'm walking correctly, the old heel to toe.
Thanks everybody !!
 
Hi all,
I am 7 months post surgery, not on any pain meds for awhile now, but I still having the clicking, crunching, clunking in my TKR left knee. I have had this all along since my surgery on February 1 without any pain just noisy. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow for my seven month post operative appointment. I learned at my three month that I have a De Puy knee implant.
Is this crunching the same as the Patella clunk? It is a series of noises as I walk and straighten my leg. It also happens at other times when I'm bending my leg. As I said it hasn't hurt in the past but just recently in the last week it's talking to me a little bit but not pain but just a little weird.
What should I be asking my knee doctor tomorrow. All along the x-rays have been perfect post surgery. Is it OK to have these noises in my knee for the rest of my life if there is no pain? Thank you so much, Robin.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
RobinEH1,
Most get used to the noises, as long as they do not hurt.
You are still recovering from this surgery, it takes most a year to feel fully healed. Usually as your muscles get stronger and more efficient, your knees should quiet down.
If you are having pain or discomfort (feeling weird) be sure you let your OS know tomorrow.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery
 
@RobinEH1
My left knee, only 2 years old, makes no noise at all.
My right TKR, which is 4 years old, still clicks and clunks. I seem to hear it, but nobody else does. Since it doesn't hurt, I just ignore it.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom