THR The flip side

Hahaha!
Did you ask sister's boyfriend, WHY pain is good?

Um, no!:skep:
He's had a Hip replacement?
Probably not.

The advantage of hip replacement becoming so common is that we have access to great implants, that last a long time, and there are lots of talented surgeons and other medical folks to help us regain our mobility. The disadvantage is that everyone and his brother knows someone (or knows someone who knows someone) who has had THR and they think that makes them an expert on the subject. That's why I never tell anyone about my hip anymore.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Went for my 2 week followup today. He removed the bandage and said the bottom half of the incision was almost completely closed but the top half still has some healing to do, so can't release me to the pool just yet. 1 to 2 more weeks for that. He released me to drive when I feel comfortable doing so.

I asked about PT. He said I'm young and don't really need it but I could go if I wanted - it's my decision. He said walking is all I really need. :yes!:

I saw my xray from the hospital. Placement looks perfect - right down the middle.

I have one more in home PT session and I'm saying adios! Pretty worn out tonight after both PT and a trip to the doctor. This is about as sore as I've been but still tolerable.:happydance:

Going out to dinner tonight for the first time since surgery. I feel like I'm slowly getting my life back.

I asked about PT. He said I'm young and don't really need it but I could go if I wanted - it's my decision. He said walking is all I really need. :yes!:
Wonderful to hear that course of treatment for recovery being advocated !

Has anyone else noticed an increase in pain after your bandage is removed? Before I could sit relatively comfortably in a chair. Now it' a lot more tender and it's pulling more.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in pain after your bandage is removed? Before I could sit relatively comfortably in a chair. Now it' a lot more tender and it's pulling more.

Interesting. I have been sitting here waiting to be able to take my bandage off for good on June 5th thinking it would REDUCE my pain. I feel like the bandage and the clear film under it are pulling my skin and causing extra pain. I hope it's not going to get even worse.

Hi @honeybeast
Personally, I didn't experience what you described above but someone may come along that has.
I didn't have my bandage removed until 3 weeks post op. This varies among OS's like so many things do.
Were you given any special instructions?
To me the pulling could mean healing, like when something is drying, getting tight? Make any sense?
With that said....I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL The pulling just doesn't sound alarming to me.
Wait and see if the pain lasts. I recall pain seemed like "here today, gone tomorrow".
Best wishes for a relaxing weekend.

Both you and @tallguy are so early into recovery.
I recall being anxious about every new pain, itch, sensation. I'm a worrier.
However, I quickly learned that most of the things that bothered me were gone in a day, or two.
Sometimes even within hours.

There is a LOT of healing going on. Power tools were used.
Your poor precious body is doing exactly what it should and is miraculously healing itself. Be good to it.
Gentle on it. Respect it. Allow it to do its thing.....because it will!

Mark your progress by weekends. Try it. That's what I did. And I suggest you use the weekend because it's not uncommon to have visitors and you can recall the following week how mobile, or immobile you were while those visitors were there. You're both doing fine and you'll be motoring around before you know it!
@honeybeast

That pulling tenderness comes from increased movement and natural healing of incision.
Would do it with our without the bandage.
Oh, yes, Layla.
Early days I worried so much over the strange new pains, I forgot to notice my bone crunching hip pain was GONE!
I remember, in my drug induced stuper, I posted..my hip pain is gone! Josephine replied - something to the effect of - what did you think? You had your bad hips replaced!
That IS the goal. Keep your eye on the prize, Tallguy and beast!
It is tough, but it will get better.:egypdance:

I've just passed the 4 week mark so thought I'd give a short update.

Still have family giving me unsolicited medical advice, telling me I should lose the cane by now. And that she's "never heard of energy drain. I don't know where you read that!" I'm already acutely aware that I'm not healing as fast as others. It's so frustrating that I no longer want to spend any time around them.

I have pretty good ROM in my op leg. The only movement I still have trouble with is abduction - it's still quite painful. I'm walking all around the house and up and down the stairs just fine, but when I try to walk outside more than a few blocks at a time I start getting thigh pain and my body tells me to stop. I've stopped trying to push it to the point of pain and decided to listen to my body, hoping that it will come in time.

As I was getting into the driver's side of the car yesterday I was able to lift my operated leg into the car. Big victory there - before I had to lift my leg in with my hand. So, that happened!

A big thunderstorm came through yesterday. The drop in barometric pressure was agony on my non op hip and knee. But hey - op side wasn't hurting!

I had to cancel on a Redsox game next week. I just don't think I'm ready for all that walking and having to get up and down in those restrictive seats to let people pass by. And if someone were to bump my leg... ouch. So I'm bummed about that - especially since they are honoring hubby's great uncle, who played for the Sox.

I'm continuing to ice 3-4 times a day because I still have random aches and pains. My incision is still tender. I get knee pain when I bend my knees (tight IT band?) And sometimes it feels like I'm sitting on a tennis ball. But I do see small improvements.

I go back in a little less than 2 weeks to get xrays. I'm hoping for a good report.

Still have family giving me unsolicited medical advice, telling me I should lose the cane by now. And that she's "never heard of energy drain. I don't know where you read that!" I'm already acutely aware that I'm not healing as fast as others
Well, bonesmart isn't the only place you can read about post op energy drain...and I think that you are healing right on par with Most...at one month post op.
I guess pre-op, we all cling to the "best" recovery stories...but you certainly aren't behind the curve @honeybeast .
We can't pick our family, unfortunately, but they certainly seem to make you feel like you need to "just get over it already"
Pay them no mind.:nah:
Yay for that leg getting up in the car by itself..one of mine wouldn't do that for several months post op!
There's no rushing those things.
They do when they are ready...

Hope you have a pleasant day!

Honeybeast, if family continues offering unsoliced advice, consider politely telling them you're not seeking advice or opinions from anyone other than your OS, the professional.
Tell them you have a large posse in BoneSmart and if they don't mind their own biz we'll be after them
:fasthorse: :fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse: Haha! :heehee: Avoidance always works well too.

It sounds like you're doing well and respecting your limitations. I can relate to the leg lifting to get out of the car. It's the one movement that brought tears (happy tears) when I first realized I could do it without pain once I began driving post op. I found it so unbelievable that I wanted to do it over again to make sure it was real!!
Did you feel that way?

I think you're wise to skip the Red Sox game. If you could magically blink yourself into your seat for the game it would be great. But as you mentioned there's a lot more to it. Car ride, walk into the stadium to find your seat, navigating steps and getting up and down to let people in and out of your row. Getting bumped, UGH!

It's great you're still icing. Random aches and pains, sore knee area and sitting on tennis ball sensation all seem normal at this point. You're doing great....keep it up. A great rest of the week to you!
@honeybeast

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere