TKR Thanks for the add!

YukonGrrl

Country
Canada Canada
I'm two weeks out from TKR (left) on March 18 - improving but I'm surprised by my level of "discomfort" and lack of energy. Really helpful to about others' experiences! I am a "push the river" person, so rhis is encouraging me to allow the healing process to unfold...

:welome:
I'm glad we've been helpful!
Yes, the energy drain after major surgery is very real. On a cellular level, all our energy is going to repairing!

You are in the very early stages of an average of a yearlong recovery. I will leave you our Recovery Articles that have helped tens of thousands of other knee replacements. We are here to help you through this journey the best we can. The very best thing for your knee right now is to rest, ice, and elevate. Exercises can come later. There is no rush to achieve ROM because it will come naturally as your swelling decreases. Your OS was able to bend your knee while checking for movements during your surgery, so it will be fine. It just takes time.

Each person is different as is their recovery. Most find that the Bonesmart approach works best for them, but others find that a more aggressive therapy helps them more. It's your recovery and your choice on how you recover. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect. The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.,

I'm surprised by my level of "discomfort" and lack of energy.
That was a surprise for me too. I assumed it would be similar to when I broke my leg (requiring surgery) when I was 14. At 37, nothing is like it was at 14! My first few days, I required help just raises and lowering my leg in and out of bed. I was no weight bearing for a month, so just getting out of the house was a whole ordeal that took all my energy. A week out, I had to make the call to miss my Grandpa's funeral 3 hours away. Anesthesia takes a while to fully get out of your system, plus not sleeping well makes it that much worse. One thing I didn't realize was how the blood thinner affected me until I went off it. If you have a post-op blood thinner, that could be a factor. I had to travel 6 hours for my surgeries. The way home from the second one, I could not get comfortable. At one point I actually whimpered like a puppy. We had to stop at least every half hour till my sister decided to fold a seat into the floorboard and just lay me on the floor. After that we went an hour straight to my Aunt's. The next day was 3 hours home, still laying on the floor of the van.
It's rough at first, but you will start to feel improvements. In the meantime, do whatever to just not be miserable.

Happy One Month Anniversary, YukonGrrl!
Please let us know how you're doing one month after your TKR. We'd like to hear from you.
Hope it's soon! :)
@YukonGrrl

I'm five weeks out today, and it's going really well: I'm cane-optional and faithful to my physio exercises, which I find super-helpful. Great bend, working hard on getting my extension better. Still hapoy with tylenol and ibuprofen combo. Back to "work" part-time (volunteering doing free tax returns for people with low incomes). Signed up optimistically for Pilates again next month!

Great news! You're doing very well. Thanks for taking the time to let us know.
Enjoy the week!
@YukonGrrl

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TommyM
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom