Guest viewing is limited

Taking my time to jump in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is not supportive of running for exercise after. While I don't expect to go back to running as much as I have in the past I would like to be able to do some recreational running and not have a guilt trip about it (self induced or otherwise).

Hi @CHD2015. My surgeon wasn't crazy about my intended sporting pursuits on my new hip either. I saw 4 surgeons before making my final decision and I couldn't have been happier with my choice. He was very pragmatic, understood that he could try to hamstring me with restrictions that I couldn't stick to, so we basically did a deal - minimise the high impact work in taekwondo and cut back my running to 'in moderation, on soft surfaces'.

14 months on and I've generally behaved myself and I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever - I can hardly believe I'm the same person - I have my life back and I'm more determined than ever. No one who sees me training has any idea of the surgery I've had and that, for me, is testament to its success. Don't put your life on hold
 
Hope your appointment goes well & you can feel confident in your decision. I'm just at the 4 week mark post op & feel great. I really can see running on the soft shoulder of the road in my near future. I'm not a gung ho runner, never did a marathon, but it was good mental therapy & kept my weight under control. My doctor knew that skiing and running were things I'd want to do after & basically said make up our own mind. Just know that you may wind up speeding the time to a second replacement. It took me nearly a year to make the decision to do it, & boy am I happy I did. What did it for me was the constant limp & people wondering why. Too many people were noticing it & I was just annoyed with the limp persisting. The pain was only bad after I had a more active day, making me think it was tolerable & that hip replacement was such a drastic measure. I kept telling myself I can live with this, but I'll be miserable if I do this surgery and I'm worse off. I can see now that isn't going to be the case. Good luck, it is a hard decision to make, and you are smart to be checking out different surgeons.
 
I had an appointment with Dr Kreuzer yesterday and have scheduled RTHR June 6. I am very pleased with Dr. Kreuzer and I believe that he is the best fit for me. Hip will be the Corin Mini-hip, ceramic on ceramic. Dr. Kreuzer covered the pros and cons, carefully explained the benefits the corin mini-hip would provide and I think it is the best option for me. @Toddlermom - praying for you that your surgery goes terrifically and you have a speedy recovery!
 
@MissMoo, thanks for your reply! The hip that I am going with has been used in Australia for about 10 years but is "new" here. I am excited to have a Surgeon that understands and supportive of providing the best option to get back to an active lifestyle.
 
@CHD2015 I am SOOOOO glad that you found the right place for you! Everyone in the office has been so lovely. When I talked to his office, there was NO way that I could have made it to May/June. And so I am going with his partner who also uses the Mako with his anterior approach, but I will have a Stryker. Can't wait to be on the other side of this one!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom