Swollen foot post hip replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggymallone

Three weeks since hip replacement, recovery at the hip is going great. Wound healed and no pain in that area. can do all the excercises etc However since end of first week have been troubled with swelling in the foot on same side as op. Hospital put it down to tendonitis, not DVT or blood clot, but still no signs of swelling going down. Has any one had same prob. and whats the solution to relieve pain and swelling in the foot. Tried ice packs, elevation, cant take anti inflammatories as still on blood thinning tabs. appreciate any feedback.

I was devastated about the extent of the swelling all down the operated leg and even across into the non operated leg. I asked several people, prior to discovering Bonesmart, and they all said the same thing. Swelling is perfectly normal, a bit unpleasant, but normal. It will eventually resolve itself. Not sure whether icing chases it away any more quickly than just by leaving it alone. Either way, it WILL go away, but you may have to wait several weeks.

Suggest using a tape measure or some other known measure like a handspan. If you do this you should see a gradual reduction of the girth of any affected parts.

Try not to worry, not easy, I know, but try.

All the best,

Alan

Hi, I am fifteen weeks post op and still have some swelling around the ankle, which makes the ankle and foot feel really tight at times. I was told that it can take months and months for things to start to appear normal again after a THR. :thumb:

Hi Alan. Thanks for that looks like I'm hoping for too much too soon. Frustrating when swelling in hip has gone and no pain there, but restricted by ankle pain. Looks like feet up and relax, and like you say wait.
I dont know what you found when you were discharged from hospital, but i do not have an appointment for 12 weeks.

Thanks again Brian

Hi thanks for the info. looks like I was expecting too much too soon. Frustrating when swelling and pain in hip has gone, and now restricted by swelling and pain in ankle. At least I know now it could take time to get fully recovered. Just hope wife can last the pace fetching and carrying for me.
Regards Brian

Hi Piggymalone
I was told that swelling can last up to a year after THR - my swelling went from my legs after a few weeks but still have a certain amount round the feet although its not bothering me - apart from not being able to get my nice shoes on! :sigh:
Hopefully that will go before too long as well.
I'm a bit surprised that your next appt isn't till 12 weeks post op - seems a long time to not be seen.
I'm under Nottingham NHS & my appts are 6-7weeks post op & 4 months post op
I'm sure your wife won't mind fetching/carrying for a while longer - maybe a nice bouquet of flowers would be a lovely surprise for her, you could order them while you're online! :flowerysmile:

Hi Brian, you have already received some very good information. But I will chime in and agree. Swelling is very normal post-op and it can last for some time. Ice and elevate as has already been advised. Things will settle soon!

How about some compression? Still got your dreaded TED stockings? You could cut them short so they are just above your ankle and use them.

Hi Sharonann
Thanks for that. Three weeks down the line and suddenly big improvements swelling at hip gone and swelling at ankle going, I've no fancy shoes but i can get my cotton traders on. Pain in the ankle going so everything looking brighter.

Regards brian

Hi jaycey
Spot on Jaycey Everything dtarting to settle down, three weeks on. Think I was expecting too much too soon.
Regards Brian

People very often do so your in the 'normal' range there! :wink1:

Hi piggymallone - I too have had problems with swelling of the leg and foot. A week after my discharge my leg swelled quite spectacularly and my Doctor put me on water tablets which got rid of the leg swelling within a week,although my foot was still swollen. Then a couple of weeks after that my leg swelled up again,Doctor then put me on Naproxen (anti-inflammatory),despite being on Aspirin as well. Although the leg swelling has subsided greatly,my foot is still doing a good impersonation of a rugby ball and is proving harder to shift than the leg. I've now stopped the Naproxen and am waiting for it to go down 'naturally'.
I have had the 'all clear' after my six week follow up,and my next appointment is in October,which is five months after op.

Hi Piggymallone,

I don't know how warm it is in the UK right now, but I do know that my ankles (and sometimes my legs) always swell a bit when it's hot. It goes down after a bit of elevation in a cool room.
So if it's warmer than usual, this could be adding a bit to the swelling from the operation.

I could well be wrong in your case, but just a thought....

Last night I was talking to a friend currently domiciled in Spain, not far from Malaga. She said it was around 38C where she was whilst I had my central heating on! Actually, we'd just had a thunderstorm and a lot of rain so the temp had taken a bit of a nosedive! I don't think you need to worry, Suzie.

Last night I was talking to a friend currently domiciled in Spain, not far from Malaga. She said it was around 38C where she was whilst I had my central heating on! Actually, we'd just had a thunderstorm and a lot of rain so the temp had taken a bit of a nosedive! I don't think you need to worry, Suzie.

Ah, I hadn't realised that. :th_heehee:
The temp here has been 38-40c most days for the last couple of weeks and supposed to get hotter.
The UK will be freezing for me when I get back, but at least my ankles won't swell!
Sorry for the weather report Brian.:wink1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla