Guest viewing is limited

PKR Susieb64 - EUREKA!!!!

So, I was unable to see the GP but the nurse passed on my discharge letter to the GP on duty to ask for a repeat. However, the GP wrote a repeat prescription for the paracetamol and Ibuprufen with a note attached that she would not prescribe any Longtec or Shortec (Oxy) as they were 'addictive substances'! After 11 days post-op! Such thinking! It made me feel like a druggie. I wasn't even going to ask for those but it still made me feel embarrassed. Oh, so she prescribed me Codeine 30mg instead, saying if the paracetamol and ibuprofen wasn't enough for the pain I could take the codeine as well every 4-6 hours. I picked up my meds from the pharmacy and when I looked at the box of Codeine there was a warning that taking codeine regularly can lead to addiction! Jeez.
Oh well, I have an appointment with my own GP on Tuesday afternoon so I will ask him for Tramadol. I've had a couple of quite uncomfortable nights with only paracetamol just to see, so I'll take the Codeine as well tonight and hope to at least sleep better anyway.

Other than that it was wonderful to have the dressing removed on Friday! The nurse couldn't see any remaining stitches and thought it all looked closed with no sign of infection. She also advised that I smear the wound with Vaseline (petroleum jelly) twice a day for a week or two to keep a protective barrier and keep it moist. The knee cap does look red and swollen so I will continue to ice that. It will be easier to do that area now without the layers of dressing strips.

My knee does look so weird. Like a Frankenstein part. And yes, I'm thinking - uh,oh, WHAT have I done?!
 
Last edited:
DAY 15 - I tried yet again to do what has failed me until now - raise my heel off the bed. Oh yes!!! Up it came and flew into the air!!! Whooopeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

So, to anyone else soon after surgery who is finding themselves in a similar position with physio - believe it, it will suddenly happen!
Thanks to all who commented and gave me the support I needed to hear.

Happy dance! :yes!::dancy::spin::egypdance:
 
Doctors are getting paranoid about opioids everywhere, it seems. Codeine is in the same family of drugs, so addictive also, but its a reliable pain killer. I hope it helps you.

Life is wonderful with a well-healed incision. It will soon look much better. It’s been under wraps for a bit, after all, and will be much happier now with some freedom and fresh air.

And yay! Lifting your leg is a milestone worthy of celebration. :happydance: It just gets better from here. Trust me, it really does. It just might seem like it takes too long, but the good things are happening.
 
Yay on lifting your leg!!!:wowspring:

That was something I never worried about. (I worried about other things!:snork:)
 
Up, up and away with that leg! Yay!!

I'd be very careful with putting anything on your incision. It will do fine if you just leave it along.
 
Life is wonderful with a well-healed incision. It will soon look much better. It’s been under wraps for a bit, after all, and will be much happier now with some freedom and fresh air.

Thank you @SusieShoes - even 4 days after the dressing was removed it's already looking and feeling so much better!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom