Guest viewing is limited

THR Surprised and glad to have op!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hopped on line before heading to work and saw your news @isolde. Horrible luck, but it sounds like you are getting the best treatment now, thank goodness. Fingers and everything else crossed for you!!! All the best, hope you can relax for the weekend.
:console2:
 
Hi @isolde
How are you going with your monster dose of antibiotics? Have you been pottering at home? Your last post was sent just before my op. I know I read it but in dealing with my foot op I omitted to reply! Really hope you get a huge improvement and find out that it was incision infection. Fingers crossed XX
 
Hi @copsham, with all that you're going through, it's so nice of you to think of this!

Been on monster dose for a week now, another week to go. The red patch has actually grown, sometimes has little tendrils going out of it and sometimes very inflamed. Therefore after a few days I contacted the surgeon's secretary, got an appointment to see the same consultant for yesterday, and got a blood test on Wednesday so he could see what was going on. I also felt more and more exhausted and unfocused, generally ill. If I try to do anything at home I also get headaches and feel faint. The consultant had emphasised that I must rest to give my body and the antibiotics a chance, and my body is going along with that big time!

I was supposed to be driving properly this week, all the refreshing, courses etc finished, but I knew I couldn't drive like this (I'm not even driving my car, as I'm aware I just can't concentrate) and my manager looked at something that our occupational health wrote after they checked out the medication, to the effect that the underlying condition might warrant a medical. So he has me down as awaiting medical, and I just ring in once a day. Really kind and stops me having to go sick.

Anyway, I saw the consultant yesterday and he sent me for an x ray first. It showed that the infection hasn't gone into the joint itself, just the soft tissue above it. It's not an infection of the incision - the scar is fine - but of all the soft tissue around it. They say it's bacteria that got in somewhere else in my body that went to the scar tissue. The blood test showed that the CRP infection markers have got less, so the antibiotics ARE gradually winning, even though you can't see that on the skin surface yet. The swelling deep down has gone (it was making it hard to walk or bend) but is still on the surface. And he reckoned that the exhaustion and feeling so unwell could now well be from the massive antibiotic dose, as it hits your liver hard, and for the next blood test he's added liver function tests.

Another blood test early next Tuesday, then I see my surgeon (who's been on holiday) Wednesday. I asked if it might be worth adding another different sort of antibiotic in, to back up the penicillin, but the consultant just laughed and said I was already on a huge dose, can't give me more.

So I'm sure eventually the antibiotics will overcome it, but these infections are well strong and apparently hip replacements attract bugs. My husband keeps saying, What if we'd been abroad when this happened? I know now at home not to go through the GP but straight to the surgeons through the secretary, but how would you be able to access someone who would treat it mega-seriously straight away, know the risks for hip patients and give you the appropriate antibiotics? Will have to ask the surgeon.
 
Hi Isolde
What an ordeal. So glad it is not in the joint. That would be the worst nightmare for all of us. I had an incision infection at about 4 weeks. It related to having a reaction to the internal stitches. The wound became inflamed and then infected. A week or so of antibiotics and it was under control. Yours sounds more problematic than mine. Can you get a course of anti biotics to take with you if/when you go abroad? Unorthodox but it a thought! Your employers sound helpful , having you waiting for a medical rather than off sick. Hope the improvement becomes obvious soon Good luck x
 
I saw my surgeon last Wednesday and the latest blood tests showed the CRP infection markers now down to 12, from 67 when the first blood test was done (and that was after a week on antibiotics!). He said normal was 5, but he believed the 48 hours of antibiotics I had left to take should kill the rest of the infection. He confirmed it was cellulitis, a subcutaneous soft-tissue infection, and said unfortunately post THR it makes you more prone to it. Nothing to do with the gardening scratches on my arm, it would have had to come from broken skin in the area if it was an infection from outside the body. All I can think of is maybe mozzie bites, which I think I had in the weeks running up to the start of it. The pink patch both sides of the scar was (and is) still there, but he said it will last a while before it goes. It goes quite red at night, but he said it looked ok. Look out for signs the infection is coming back, and come straight away if it does. Have some more blood tests in 3 weeks time and see him 4 weeks after that. I asked about what if it happened when I was abroad, and he is going to do me a letter next time to take with me to show to doctors. I also ran one instance of cellulitis through a travel insurance site that specialises in insuring people with pre existing conditions, and it added ÂŁ90 to an annual policy that was only Europe, ie where we have recipricol free healthcare arrangements! Scary.



The last dose of antibiotic was noon on Friday. Still feeling really tired and occasionally nausea and headaches - I think from the punching the strong drugs gave to my liver. I can't even metabolise Tramadol at the moment - not enough spare liver enzymes apparently, so can't get out of pain with my right hip. Not very happy but at least it looks like the infection has gone, touch wood. Work are sending me for a medical Friday, so I'm not allowed to work till I get the ok from that. That is so lucky, means I can just try and get well again. I'm going for walks around the village (not long ones, only about half an hour) and I went swimming for the first time since the infection today. Could only do less that half an hour and only 16 lengths, then felt very tired and sick so got out quick! I think moving the blood around might encourage my liver to buck up and get rid of whatever is making me feel ill. I'm being kind to it with lots of water, eating healthy and resting a lot. Anyway, sorry to moan, but I'm a real baby if I feel sick!
 
Oh Isolde looks like you are nearly there infection wise but it certainly is at a cost to other parts of your body. I am glad you got swimming thats my luxury which is not on the cards for a while. Is it worth taking pro biotics (healthy bacteria) to counteract the antibiotics?

Don't apologise for moaning - we are dealing with the unexpected at the moment and you are allowed to moan. Then we will "pick yourself up and start all over again"!!

Those mossies!! When I was young we never had them around us now they are most places!

Look after yourself,
 
Thanks, @copsham. All through taking the antibiotics I ate loads of live yoghurt, and after 3 days the diarrhoea stopped and my bowels got back to normal. Still eating lots of yoghurt, and still no problem with tummy stuff, the nausea, headaches and tiredness are very similar to when I had a liver reaction some years ago to Diclofenac, although I'm not as bad now as then. I'm getting more spells where I feel ok so I think it's recovering and will probably only be a few days before I feel completely well again.

Yes, I don't remember mozzies as a kid! Only midgies when we visited Scotland!
 
Hi @isolde I am glad you are nearly at the end of the cellulitis recovery:fingersx:

I have had cellulitis once, after also being bitten by a Mozzie in Rhodes. My arm swelled up like a balloon, was red hot and rock hard. Luckily there was a chemist nearby with a very handsome looking pharmacist who prescribed some strong antibiotics. Funny you can just buy these type of drugs from pharmacies,. Handy though.

I have to read through your thread to find out when you go to Europe, but hopefully your cellulitis will have cleared by then so you don't have to pay for an existing condition. That is a lot if money! Have you tried stay sure? I have used them for the last few years and usually they are reasonable...although I have yet to check since I have had the hip ops.

I do hope your other problems sort out soon too....not nice when you feel sick the way you do.

I can't remember these mozzies as a kid either, there were Knats and I always got bitten. The best year on hol day I managed 75 bites...I think I must taste nice.I stay covered up now.

Get well soon :console2:x
 
Hi @Suzette, thanks for that and I think the post antibiotic effects are starting to clear - I went for a swim just now and could do my usual kilometre and no nausea or headache so far, lovely. Don't you really appreciate your health when you've felt lousy for a while. It was the Staysure website I looked at for travel insurance, they ask about conditions you've had during the previous 2 years, which I thought was quite fair. I'd rather be covered, and they seemed to ask intelligent questions. The hip op this year combined with the fact I'm on the list for an op on my other hip added a tenner - I don't know what just the hip op would have added.

I'm intending us to go away in September when we've got leave. My husband is worried I won't be up to it but I know I will be! So I've done a deal: I won't book anywhere until I'm back at work and feeling like it's easy! I love planning holidays so I've got several options mapped out! Barcelona or Sardinia favourites at the moment.

75 knat bites Suzette! I thought I tasted nice to insects, but I'm seriously impressed by that! xx
 
I am envious - if there was one thing that would make me feel good I know it is going swimming!

I love Barcelona, haven't been to Sardinia. In the window of time between my hip op and my foot injury we went to Corsica - it was brilliant but a bit frustrating as I was not walking as fully as I would like bit a lot better than I had in recent years. The my foot injury happened a week before we were due to go to Barra (west coast of Scotland). Only last night we were talking about how to plan a break away. Last night I was saying great lets do this that and the other but by this morning I was thinking I just don't know will it be three months will it be six!!!

Oh well could be a lot worse!
 
@isolde - I have been away without internet for awhile so just catching up to your story. You are one of the few I can find that had op about the same time as I did. That infection was scary! You are able to do quite a bit with working, swimming and walking but then you are younger than my 69 years. It looks like you are getting things under control now and will be able to enjoy that vacation you planned. All the best!
Diane
 
Thanks @Granny Di, I'm feeling a lot better now, the antibiotic after-effects have worn off and I feel back to normal. I had a railway medical yesterday and they passed me fit for normal duties again so after my nice long weekend of rostered rest days I will be finally back to normal train driving on Wednesday. Be lovely to just get my life back to normal. I bet you were somewhere lovely if it didn't have internet!
 
@isolde Respect! My partner just retired from train driving! His shift work was murder. Hope you can ease into your work again.
 
@Jaycey, yes our shifts are murder too! I hope your partner is enjoying finally being able to get his sleeping, waking and eating patterns regular!
 
enjoying finally being able to get his sleeping, waking and eating patterns regular!
After many months he is still getting up at the crack of dawn! Shift work really does take it's toll. Luckily we don't have major work commitments other than a huge property so things work out.

Please let us know how your first few days of work go.
 
Hi @isolde How are you doing? Has the cellulitis stayed away? Plans for holidays in the pipeline?

hope you are well!
 
Hi @isolde , how are you getting on driving trains? Are you back full-time yet? I also respect you and your job. Must be physically hard. And how is swimming/sport/exercise? I wish you all the best, a pain-free time and no more infections.
Constanze
 
Hi, work is now going ok after a couple of weeks of extreme tiredness. I found that I could only swim on days off, not as well as work, but can now do both again. I think the infection, and the monster-dose antibiotics, took quite a toll. Also, shift work, the concentration and the busy, in-your-face working environment on a commuter rail network......and lots of steps to get anywhere - maybe I just got unused to it after being off sick so long. I feel back to normal now, and have also got used to only being able to take painkillers when off for a few rest days. The new hip is behaving well, but the right hip is horrible. It was immediately good to be back with my fellow drivers, having a laugh and hearing the gos. No sign of any infection coming back, had a blood test and will see my specialist again just to make sure. Decided I didn't feel up flying or hot weather when we are on leave in September, so we will be going to Northumbria in a cottage to explore the coast and countryside, looks beautiful. Thanks so much for your kind wishes.
 
Hello @isolde , thank you for the update. I think you are doing great. I would not be able to face so much stress (shift working and all the rest of it). My job is comparatively stress free. I'm a translator and just work at a desk - so returning to work after 6 weeks was possible.

I wish you all the best and no more infections. Also enjoy your holiday in Northumbria. I also wish you some fine weather. Today I got into work sopping wet after cycling there, but they forecast that the summer would return.

Take care - Constanze
 
Hi @isolde
Are you still planning on second op on 3rd December? Just 2 weeks away and I am sure you must just want to get it over with. Thinking of you and hope all goes well. Look after yourself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom