THR Surgery scheduled for next week, have never had surgery before

seems there are frequently unexpected things that happen, so I’m trying to plan for multiple possibilities.
I would question if this is so. It may seem that way because people who have complications or concerns tend to post here in order to get feedback From my experience most of the hip surgeries these days are routine, especially among those your age. The worst part for me was the apprehensiveness before the surgery. Recently I had my second hip replaced; Both of my surgeries were uneventful I am older than you, was told by OS after surgery that I have soft bones but went home same day. I wouldn’t say there was pain from either surgery but rather a soreness and discomfort. Aside from childbirth and wisdom teeth removal many decades ago, I had not had surgery of this magnitude either and was quite apprehensive both times. It sounds like you have done your due diligence and all sounds normal to me Agree that it is best afterward to not push PT, and to take it easy resting, icing, and elevating frequently. Icing is perfect for soothing any discomfort and swelling. I got by with only Tylenol both times, as I am not keen on taking drugs unnecessarily. I feel certain that you will be fine and very relieved after surgery. All the best to you!

My knee replacements were an hour from home. A few pointers...

Members here recommend using a plastic garbage bag on the car seat to make it easier to slide/pivot once seated.

I chose to use the front passenger seat but many prefer the rear seats so they can elevate.

The two small cold packs I was discharged with were useless between the long ride, the size of the human knee, and the intial bulkier dressing. Even if you plan on having an ice machine at home (100% recommended!!!!) you might buy a couple of larger cold packs and have your husband pack them into a picnic cooler in the trunk.
For both THR’s and both TKR’s I was treated with cold therapy machine in hospital & sent home with the device. (I gave surplus of machines to friends.) Btw, better to freeze mini-water bottles 4 oz size for use in machine than ice cubes. My physical therapist is working with a company for insurance to approve a HOT/COLD machine. Fantastic device! Also, home unit for electrical stimulation.

Oh! I was considering Kiziks as a next-shoes option! Have you used them before?
This is my 4th pair! I love them, and my husband has been so envious at the ease of on/off that when I bought my post surgery pair, we replaced his shoes too! Now he loves them. We both felt they need an upgraded insole, but most shoes do in my opinion.

As an avid runner and marathoner you have had to punch through plenty of pain and have had to get your body through recovery from events that physically and mentally caused a lot of stress. You can manage this surgery and the post op pain just fine. You are strong and will be able to get around your home after surgery just fine. It’s sort of painful for a week but pamper yourself and be patient. Don’t overdo anything. Use lots of ice. Good luck to you.

I'd only had wisdom teeth out and 2 colonoscopies. No kids either. So this was my first surgery as well. When I heard they were going to give me a spinal that freaked me out. I was also worried about being totally nauseous once I came to.
when the surgeon and anesthesiologist came in to visit me preop I made it very clear that I was absolutely terrified of the whole thing and to please make sure I didn't wake up during but to please make sure I woke up after lol. I also mentioned that I get carsick so if they could put some extra in for any nausea.

i had anterior.

i was given the choice of either walking or riding to the operating room so I chose to walk which for me was incredibly empowering. When they sat me down on the table to do the spinal they put my mask on and that's the last thing I remember. I didn't even hear them say anything about count backwards.

like pretty much everybody else they had me walk to the hallway and back a few hours later, using the walker and I got dizzy, had some raspberry sorbet, and barfed. It was the only time.

I elected to stay overnight because I felt better having them monitor me plus I was going back to my parents and I think it would've just been too much for them. I also had those stockings that go on and off to prevent the blood clots so that made it kind of hard to sleep, plus the IV is always in the way of course.

next day they showed me how to safely get dressed, get in and out of a car, and a few hours later I was on the way home with my new hip.

@OsteoBionicGal
Welcome to BoneSmart. We appreciate your sharing your experience her, but please start your own thread and give the community some information about yourself, including the dates of each of your surgeries.

Go to either the Knee or Hip Recovery section -- whichever surgery was your most recent . You will see an orange button at the top right of the page that says Post Thread. Just click on that to start your recovery thread. You might also want to bookmark the page in your browser so you can find it right away when you return to the site.

Let us know if you need help!

@Law thank you so much for sharing your experience! I am really freaked out by the spinal, so I will be hopeful that I don’t remember that part. I’ve made comments a few times to the surgeon that I’m pretty anxious about it and he was reassuring, so my anxiety is no secret.
I debated staying with my parents also because the surgery will be where they live. It’s only about 90 minutes home and I’m thinking going home same day will be better in terms of pain than setting up in their house for the night and then going home, plus navigating their house, would be a little harder than what we have set up at home. I've also wondered if staying overnight would be best but that’s complicated by the surgery happening at a surgery center, so it sounds like I’d need to be transferred to a hospital for an overnight stay.
i love that you got to walk down the hall! How are you recovering?

Ohh, ok, I was at the hospital so that made it easy. But if your own place is easier to navigate that's key.
Yes, I was really glad she gave me the option to walk, too.
My recovery is pretty good, there's ups and downs along the way, so keep us updated and I'm sure we'll all say "yes that happened to me too." I started pt about two weeks ago, my quad is a bit tight and the surrounding muscles are learning how to work together with the shiny new kid in town.
But nothing has been as horrible as I expected. Some things have been weird and annoying and things I never heard of, but I haven't really had any moments of "why did I do this?"

I am really freaked out by the spinal, so I will be hopeful that I don’t remember that part.
You won't! I've had 3 joint replacement surgeries with spinal+sedation and here is all I remember: I was on the operating table and the anesthesiologist told me he was going to start the sedation and to count backwards from 100. I think I got to 97. The next thing I remember I was walking up in recovery.

Just tell the anesthesiologist that you want to sleep through everything and he/she will start you sedation as soon as you are settled.

@JoeyRamone, I like your name! Oi!

I did outpatient and was in the car and on my way home 5 hours after checking in both times. I know it’s not routine for you as a patient, but this is a fairly complication-free and common surgery for these surgeons. I agree with a previous poster above who said the first two weeks are kind of a suck fest, but one of the moderators here gave me the mantra “all normal, all temporary.” You will be amazed how much better you feel at day 10 and again at 2 months. I just went for my 1-year checkup for the left and 19-month checkup for the right. I am now released for 5 years! I feel good, I sleep well (hip pain disrupted my sleep), I do daily yoga and my ROM is improving all the time, and I’m an avid hiker! Hip replacements gave me my life back. I hope you have the same good outcomes. As active and young as you are, I think the odds are in your favor.

:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom