Lizzie84
new member
- Joined
- Sep 6, 2021
- Messages
- 16
- Age
- 62
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
Surgery #2 (right hip replacement, anterior) is coming up on Wednesday, 9/15. I'm thinking about how things have gone so far and I've decided to do things differently this time. I hope my observations can help someone.
1) I will not feel like I'm bothering someone by using my call light in the hospital. I'm a nurse and I tried really hard to be a "good" patient. All that did was get me behind on my pain meds and frustrated.
2) I will realize that there are no REAL rules. I'm a rule follower and the past few weeks have driven me crazy. I want to know what is expected of me so I can do it!! But no, "everyone is different" and "listen to your body" are really not rules and therefore frustrating to me. This forum has been the MOST helpful to me in this regard. Thank you, thank you, thank you for reiterating over and over that this is a journey.
3) I bought another walker. Went to Savers (like Good Will) and found one for 10 bucks. I have another one that I borrowed. It was a pain asking my family to take it up and down the stairs for me. Now I will leave one on each floor and it is one less thing to ask for. (NOTE: no one minded, but again, one more thing to feel independent about.)
4) I will take my pain meds as often as I need them. There is no prize for NOT taking them. (UGH--I tell my patients all the time "those meds will not help you if they are in the bottle")
5) I will bring my own body pillow--LOL. Hospitals have the absolute worse pillows on the face of the earth.
If this helps even one person, I'll be happy!
1) I will not feel like I'm bothering someone by using my call light in the hospital. I'm a nurse and I tried really hard to be a "good" patient. All that did was get me behind on my pain meds and frustrated.
2) I will realize that there are no REAL rules. I'm a rule follower and the past few weeks have driven me crazy. I want to know what is expected of me so I can do it!! But no, "everyone is different" and "listen to your body" are really not rules and therefore frustrating to me. This forum has been the MOST helpful to me in this regard. Thank you, thank you, thank you for reiterating over and over that this is a journey.
3) I bought another walker. Went to Savers (like Good Will) and found one for 10 bucks. I have another one that I borrowed. It was a pain asking my family to take it up and down the stairs for me. Now I will leave one on each floor and it is one less thing to ask for. (NOTE: no one minded, but again, one more thing to feel independent about.)
4) I will take my pain meds as often as I need them. There is no prize for NOT taking them. (UGH--I tell my patients all the time "those meds will not help you if they are in the bottle")
5) I will bring my own body pillow--LOL. Hospitals have the absolute worse pillows on the face of the earth.
If this helps even one person, I'll be happy!



