THR SuperPath and Hip Dysplasia

I went into my surgery expecting to follow the the 90 degree restrictions and surprisingly I had no restrictions. My OS uses only the posterior approach which initially led me to believe I'd have to follow precautions. I loosely followed them on my own anyway "just because". I felt what was good for one, must be for another, lol. It seems more docs are steering away from them but because your situation is more complicated it may be required. You'll know when the time is right. Things will just begin to fall into place. Best wishes, Mersada. Stay in touch.

Oh @Mersada .... I have not been on the site for awhile and I have just read all of your posts on this thread. I feel so sorry for all you have gone through and the stress you are feeling. You know my story, and I have to tell you, that even with what I went through, I have a surgery date scheduled for my left hip ! It has been giving me a lot of discomfort and causing me to limp, which is such a shame because my right side is pain free (other than some muscle tightness which PT is helping now). Now that I know what it could (and should) feel like, I want to have 2 functioning, pain-free hips again. I am still with the same surgeon, who was with me every step of the way, even when I had a non-hip issue and I called him about the gastro issues I was going through. No one was more shocked than he was when my post-op x-ray showed that my hip had dislocated. It is not a common outcome and there is only a less than 3% chance (yes, unfortunately I fell into that 3% group), but I am willing to chance it again. I feel that no one knows my case better than he does, and I have full confidence in him to have the next surgery. So I understand your concerns and worry, but I think that you will not have any regrets after your surgery. NYU Ortho Hospital was excellent and the nurses and therapists will make sure you are ready and comfortable doing things on your own before you are discharged. You should let them know that you will be alone when you go home, and maybe, depending on your insurance, they may be able to arrange additional help for you at home or keep you an extra day or so in the hospital.
Hang in there......
P.S. Where do you go for your pedicures? I have been going to Mystic on Richmond Rd. and Lincoln. Is that where you go? LoL
Hang

@Lea61 thanks 4 wrds of encouragement....I am so glad you are doing so well. Like I said, I am terrified that they said was complicated...I just think more chances for something to go wrong. Who was your surgeon at NYU? Do have to follow the 90 degree rule and how has that been?

For pedicures I go to either a place on New Dorp lane...forget the name or New US Nails on Richmond road in Dongan Hills. I haven't tried Mystic yet...but, I tend to try different ones in the area.

It is not a common outcome and there is only a less than 3% chance (yes, unfortunately I fell into that 3% group), but I am willing to chance it again. I feel that no one knows my case better than he does, and I have full confidence in him to have the next surgery. So I understand you
Wonderful sweet @Lea61
May have started with some hiccups...but the new year will bring hope and health and happiness.

@Mersada ...I was told that I had "universal precautions" (even tho I had posterior) and that it wasn't necessary to follow the 90 degree rule, but I did (and do) follow it anyway. I bought the chair to go over the toilet and still use it. I had gotten the shower chair after the revision surgery and I think I used it once and find I get along fine without it. I think the "grabber" is the best, not only for picking up fallen objects, but I also use it to help me get dressed.
And...I like Mystic. They give great pedicures ...

Hi @Mersada, I just read through your thread. I was on my own after my bilateral surgery, too. I stayed in the hospital for three nights, and my dad stayed with me at home for two. I had two large dogs at the time. They came home on the 4th night. I think having the aids is a huge help. I used everything: the commode, the raised toilet seat, grabber, walker, and tray to carry food on my walker. I also wore an apron and put things in the pockets. I found sun dresses and a nightgown to be easy to put on and take off after surgery. (mine was in August.) I lived in them. Oh, and having lots of ice and plenty of food for meals helped, too.

It sounds to me like you are focusing on the word complicated. This surgery really brings up fear and control issues. (Well, it did for me.) My surgeon told me that I also had childhood hip dysplasia, which I didn't know. I had never had my hips looked at until the OS was in its final stages. I had the anterior technique, but my surgeon, (Dr. Matta,) teaches it. I think your case is probably much more severe.

I encourage you to have faith, to read the positive reviews of your surgeon, and focus on your recovery. It is so easy to get panicky and to want to cancel. I was hysterical. The waiting is much worse than the actual experience. My friend told me to focus on the physiotherapy, not the surgery. You go to sleep and wake up. It's a snap. For most of us, it's far easier and less painful than what we imagined. My pain was between 0 and 3 in the hospital most of the time.

I think you will do really well. It's a life changing operation, and for most of us is totally worth it. My dogs sensed that I had been through surgery, and reacted with care and concern. The walker will protect you. Even though I had the anterior method, I still followed the precautions, just to be safe. You can do it.

@Hip Hip Hooray! Thank you for sharing some of your experience, it helps to hear positive experiences.
How did you manage with the big dogs...mine are small and are wee wee pad trained which I already tried using a pooper scooper I purchased and the grabber for the wee wee pads. It seems to work. I have to figure out with the food and water bowls...I guess golpher's reach?? Is that what you did?

Yes, I am deffinitely worried when they say the word "complicated". It makes me feel as if there is more that could possibly go wrong. Right now, there are some days I don't have much pain...and I feel like I can pro long surgery a little bit more. You know what they say about the devil you know vs. the devil you don't. Now, I know what I am dealing with...fear of the unknown outcome has me in fear.

Right now, I am waiting on another os to view my xrays and decide if he wants to take my case. He was referred by another fellow bone smarter from my area. He has 40 years experience but, I guess he picks and chooses which cases he will take on. It will be my 5th consult, if it happens. Y

Again thank you for your words of encouragement...sometimes I read the bad experiences here and say to myself...what if that becomes me. Yup...terrified.

Hi Mersada, I couldn't read the threads before my surgery because I was so terrified. Hearing friends and family's well meaning people's horror stories can make you panic and cancel. I got my surgery a month after my first appt. it helps to use the time and energy to prepare. Getting the house ready, meals cooked, etc. gives you a positive focus. There are lots of affirmations on YouTube which I found helpful and calming. I listened to hours of Louise Hay. Being able to relax is so important. Fear increases pain levels. Yoga breathing saved me.

I think I poured water into the dog bowls from a pitcher on the counter. You could scoop the dog food in a mug from the counter and drop it into the bowls. I used a pooper scooper outside, that way no bending was needed.

The walker is very helpful. I had two. I bought a shower seat and used a hand held shower nozzle to wash my hair. You can also bring your walker into the tub. I had one inside the tub, and one outside of it. I also put in grab bars.

Recommendations are so helpful with surgeons. You don't see the doctor that much; what's important is his skill. What helped me was to tell myself, "You are in good hands. You have the top hip surgeon in LA." It's like reassuring a small child.

My thread and those of a couple people on it are all positive, pretty easy recoveries. If you read them, it may make you feel better about getting it done. I thought I would need to hire a home care helper, but I didn't. Dr. Matta said to make my household chores my physical therapy. It was perfect. I think you will do very well.

All the above was true for me too
@Hip Hip Hooray!
I had mine scheduled within 5 weeks of my diagnosis and was to busy getting work settled etc. to research much !
Ignorance was bliss...sort of.

@Mersada You can't unring the bell in regard to reading about potential problems, but lots of great stories of how THR gave many their lives back and then they are off forum.

@Hip Hip Hooray! Thank you for sharing your experience with me. It helps to hear it someone else did it on their own with pups. I worry about that a lot. The details can really make you worry.

I am slowly preparing for it all. I got a shower bench, too amongst a lot of other things I have been purchasing slowly.

Still haven't heard from os #5, but it's only been a day. Hopefully, he'll make me feel more at ease. I had a hard time walking three blocks to my car after work tonight...made me realize, I have to decide on this sooner or later.
Still haven't gotten my handicap parking placard, have been waiting over a month already for it. I guess the Department of Traffic is really slow around this time...hopefully, soon. It will make life a little easier.

I'm glad to have heard about how you have lived through it.

Hi @Mersada ..... I know how anxious you are feeling waiting for the surgeons office to call. If they give you an appointment that is a long wait (I think he also will be on vacation at the end of the month), ask if they can call you if they get a cancellation that is sooner. That may help move it up if you have to.
I hope you get the handicap placard soon. I know they make you wait awhile for that. I'm sure that will help and remember that you can use it even if you are being driven in someone else's car. Just take the tag with you.

It took little Mojo my Shihtsu no time to figure out Mommy was "hurt", and one time for the walker to catch his tail before he decided to walk behind me and Get Out of the Way:heehee:
It's going to be fine.
They will be so happy you will be out of pain very soon.:tada:

Thinking of you, Mersada
Wishing you comfort as you make decisions and preparations.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Mersada

Thank you @Layla,
I have an appointment with os #5 for a consultation on February 4th. It seems like a lot, I know...but, I just am looking for the right one. I also am procrastinating a bit. I am really anxious about this whole thing.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Hi there, :hi:
I understand. You have to be ready and if you're not there yet, you're not there.
Wishing you a good week and the best of luck with your appt on February 4th.
Stay in touch, we'll be here.
@Mersada

Hope you have also been checking out @allena
I think she was equally as anxious..and was uncertain of she would "go through with it" and mulled over all the worst case scenarios.
She is doing beautifully and even with other health problems...a bad hip is not one of them.
Really hope you get some peace about the surgery and get this hip show on the road!:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Memi58
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom