Guest viewing is limited

THR Suffering five months after surgery

I hear your frustration about the shower and getting out on a walk. It's miserable, no other word for it! Fantastic to hear there are some improvements though!!

I finally got some really good grab handles fitted to my over bath shower and can now manage a shower. Are there any adaptations you could make to help? For a long time pre surgery, I had to shower sitting down on a bath board. Have you tried that? Not as good but better than nothing.
 
Here are a few shower aids from Amazon, if interested, DenDen.
Bathtub Grab Bar Safety Rail - Here
Slip Resistant Bath Step - HERE
I hope you have a nice weekend! :)
@DenDen
 
Hello Den Den
Its 2025. How are you feeling? I have both hips replaced and my knee has been operated upon twice. It is starting to hurt me. Ive scheduled doctors appointment. I want to know how you are feeling.
 
@benne68 Hi Deb!

Thanks for reaching out. I have not yet made an appt with the recommended surgeon for a second opinion. Here's what's going on:

The psoas bursa injection does appear to have provided some relief although it took a really long time to happen. I have since had an injection in the troch bursa on the operative side. That was two weeks ago, and while I don't think it helped I'm wondering if it will behave the same way the other one did with results taking longer than expected. Fingers crossed.

At my most recent appt with my surgeon, he suggested a psoas release. Did not offer any diagnosis to back that up, but he did say I'd have an MRI first. He wants me back in three months and I told him I wouldn't make any decisions for or against the release until that time. My plan is to get the second opinion before I'm going to seriously consider it. I've read accounts of amazing pain relief from the release and those of permanent hip flexor weakness, so not thrilled about doing it. Plus more surgery and recovery. UGH.

I have been wondering if surgery to release the psoas is the solution, why can I not try less invasive things to achieve the release? I do a minimum of 45 minutes of stretches every day, and do exercises every other day. I've also been getting therapeutic massages for the last five weeks, once a week, and I think it is helping. I'm really sore for a few days afterwards, but then feel pretty good. Overall groin pain is down a few notches. Then I go get another massage. Little by little my massage therapist tells me, we will get there. I have more massage appts coming up and will continue as long as I perceive a benefit, despite the cost.

Unrelated bloodwork revealed that my gamma globulin was seriously low, and my doctor said it was from not eating enough protein. I have to wonder if I brought some of this upon myself by not having adequate nutrition to support healing. I'm a vegetarian and thought I was getting enough protein. I never really worried about it until now as I was very fit and healthy before THR. I purchased some protein powder and am adding it to my daily coffee and smoothie, and am trying to eat more protein. It's not easy.

That's all the news for now. Thanks again for asking!
How do you shower? Are you driving? How are you walking and shopping? What are you taking for pain ?
 
I'm back! Not much has changed in the last couple of months. The injections in bursae have worn off and I'm experiencing all the pain I had perviously. My surgeon FINALLY referred me for MRI. I received the notes from the doctor who looked at it, and it is a relief to have some answers. I have an appointment with my surgeon to go over this on 9/19/2025. I had wanted to have an MRI and my surgeon's opinion before seeking a 2nd opinion. I'm almost there. I'm very interested to hear what he has to say, as I have never seen this diagnosis in this or the other forum I participate in. Is anyone here familiar with what is described in Impression point #2 or the notes in Narrative re: Hip Joints regarding cystic change? My original diagnosis preTHR included subchondral cysts. Thank you for any light you can shine on this for me. I want to be well prepared for my appt as he tends to talk fast and leave the exam.

Impression​

1. Normally seated right total hip prosthesis without evidence of hardware complication. Nonspecific small right hip joint effusion.

2. The lesser trochanter causes mass effect on the quadratus femoris muscle and slightly deforms the underlying sciatic nerve. Correlate for symptoms of ischiofemoral impingement and sciatica.

3. No acute osseous findings.

Narrative​

EXAM: MRI RIGHT HIP WITHOUT CONTRAST

INDICATION: JOINT PAIN, HIP

COMPARISON: Right hip CT 2/14/2025, right hip radiograph 6 2/4/2025

TECHNIQUE: Multiplanar, multisequence imaging of the pelvis and right hip was obtained without contrast.

FINDINGS:

PROXIMAL FEMURS: No fracture or dislocation.

OTHER OSSEOUS STRUCTURES: No fracture or dislocation.

HIP JOINTS: Normally seated right total hip prosthesis. Chronic preoperative anterosuperior acetabular degenerative cystic change. No periprosthetic osteolysis. Small joint effusion.

ACETABULAR LABRA: Normal.

TENDONS: No tear.

MUSCLES: The lesser trochanter causes mass effect on the quadratus femoris muscle and slightly deforms the underlying sciatic nerve (series 5 image 28).

OTHER SOFT TISSUES: No mass.
 
Last edited:
@Tina Turk @Layla @Deni444

I'm seeing some old messages for the first time as I haven't visited here in a while. I don't have issues showering. Not sure where that came from!
 
I'm seeing some old messages for the first time as I haven't visited here in a while. I don't have issues showering. Not sure where that came from!
Hahaha, not sure. As for my post I believe it was a follow up to one before mine. Must have been a slow day so sharing random info you didn't ask for or need. :wink:
Kidding aside, if you'd like, we can delete any shower references from your thread since that obviously isn't an issue for you...which is a good thing!
So how are you doing? Tell us something good. :thumb:
 
Hi @DenDen ….. I’m glad you were finally able to get some imaging that may indicate why you’ve been having problems. I’m not recalling anyone on the forum with this specific diagnosis. But the key to what may lie ahead will be your discussion with your surgeon. There is quite a range of symptoms and treatments associated with ischiofemoral impingement, so if this is determined to be the problem, treatment is going to depend on how severe it is. Treatments can range from physical therapy to surgery. Be prepared to try the more conservative measures first. That means it could take a while for things to improve.

You’ll want to ask the surgeon his impression of the imaging findings and let him talk about that first. But do be sure that you leave the meeting with a definite treatment plan and the surgeon’s expectations of improvement timeframes. If he tries to rush you, don’t feel bad about asking him to slow down and explain things again for you. After all, you are the customer and you have a right to have your questions and concerns answered.
 
Thank you @Jamie ... I did some online research and I've been doing most of the conservative treatments (injections, stretching, exercises, icing) for months already. PT kicked me out months ago because I was strong and they said they can't help with the pain. So frustrating! I also see that the surgical fix has some risks that give me pause. I appreciate the pep talk. White coat syndrome is real! I am really anxious to hear his thoughts on the results of the MRI. To receive a diagnosis and treatment plan instead of feeling dismissed would be great.
 
It might help you to write down a few specific questions you have so you don’t forget anything. Sometimes when we get in the appointment and things start going at warp speed, it’s easy to forget to bring something up that’s important to you.
 
@ Jamie I have to do that for every doctor appt because I will definitely forget something if I don't. I keep them in a file on my computer and it's great to look back on what I wanted to talk about at previous appts!
 
Good for you! That’s a great idea too to keep them on your computer for later reference.
 
Best Wishes for your appointment on Friday, DenDen. I hope you have a good week.
Please keep us posted, we're here for you.
@DenDen
 
@DenDen Hi there, I had anterior approach THR two years ago and developed Psoas issues early on. I was lifting my leg into my car etc. My surgeon immediatly wanted to do a Psoas release. We did an MRI which suggested impingement and tendinitis of the Psoas. I actually think the Psoas was an issue going into THR. Lifetime cyclist and it wasn’t on my radar. I’ve since developed glute tendonapathy as well. It has been very draining on mental state. I am doing one last ditch effort at PT. And I have another MRI set up. I’m scared to death to do the Psoas release. But, running out of options and can’t ride my bike and can only do very short walks. I’m regretting THR all together;( I had moderate arthritis. But, again I think I had more of a soft tissue issue going into the surgery. I wish you all the best!
 
A belated Happy One Year Anniversary, DenDen!
How are you doing at almost fifteen months post op? It is nice to hear from members no matter how far along they are. We'd love to share in the joy of any milestones your hitting and your updates may be an encouragement to others following behind. Hoping you are back outdoors walking, and 2026 is off to a good start for you.
Best wishes always! Hope to hear from you soon. :)
@DenDen
 
@DenDen At 15months, I hope you found some help with your issues. We would love an update on your journey as we navigate 2026. Blessings to you.
 
Hi DenDen, sorry to read about all the problems and pain you have gone through. I went to physical therapy for two weeks after my surgery. The therapist decided I wasn’t making enough progress strength wise and wanted to manipulate my hip. I said no and went to a medical massage therapist. Within two weeks all the swelling in my leg was gone most of the pain was gone or manageable. When I told her about the PT wanting to manipulate my hip she about lost it saying it takes time and patience. If you are not getting any results from anything else you are doing a good reputable medical massage therapist might help with some of the soft tissue issues. We are all different so what worked for me might not help you but it might be worth trying. And at this point most of my strength is back.
 
@Woodbutcher Thank you for your suggestion. I agree that a therapeutic massage can be very helpful. In fact, I have been receiving them regularly for about a year now. Unfortunately the relief is temporary.
 
@Hip4life
HI, thanks for reaching out. Still have a lot of pain in my THR hip and now my unaffected hip as well (nothing showed on imaging to explain that). I've been to so many doctors! Was diagnosed with psoas impingement, and surgery just got pushed back from March to August as the only surgeon I trust to do it had surgery on his bicep and has to have a revision. The irony! I've been to hip doctors, spine doctors and pain doctors, had injections, have done tons of PT, had regular therapeutic massages. I have a hip stretching and exercise program I do at home every day. I've gone back to the gym and am doing weight training (mostly upper body), gentle yoga and stretch classes. I feel my best after a good hard workout at the gym. Unfortunately, no relief lasts and by bedtime I'm in a ton of pain again. I get up the next day and start all over again. With all that said, I am not giving up. I will keep doing what I'm doing and seeking help until I am forced to admit I will have to live my life in pain and with limitations.
 
@DenDen I'm sorry to hear about your surgery postponement. That's a long time to have to be in pain, albeit, most of us did that with our hips before our THRs. It sounds like you have a routine worked out to get you through it for now. Just be very aware about any of the exercises you do. Make sure they don't aggravate that already irritated iliopsoas. As long as there is impingement, that tendon can be irritated. Remember that icing can still be your friend. I whole-heartedly agree with not giving up until you've exhausted all your options and there's no more anyone can offer. Maybe it's because that was and is my tact as well: I'm not going down without a fight! :heehee:

Just another thought: I understand you wanting to go with a trusted surgeon on your release. In my case, at the time, I had to be referred to another practice and surgeon for my release. My OS highly recommended him and he had done many releases, even on post THR patients. It took me a couple of weeks or so to get in to see him, but then I was having surgery about 10 days later. It was a "simple" enough procedure for him that he just fit me into his surgery cases. Under the circumstances, do you think you might get a referral from your current surgeon's practice? Anyway, totally up to you. You know what's best for your situation and what you can tolerate. Blessings for manageable pain as you continue to travel your journey. Keep us posted.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom