• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Sudden thigh pain 5 months post op<^

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I did finally call my surgeon and he is ordering more xrays
Excellent. So when you get them done, can you get copies? AP and lateral? That's front to back and side view.

OP
OP
Vhaqli

Vhaqli

Country
Canada Canada
I might, it depends on whether I see him in clinic or not. In clinic he brings them up on a screen. Otherwise, I don’t see the X-rays.

Knitquilt

Country
United States United States
I took pictures of the xrays on the computer screen on my phone. You may not need the actual xray.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Exactly but do make sure you take the photo straight on and not at an angle, otherwise I can't read it properly.

OP
OP
Vhaqli

Vhaqli

Country
Canada Canada
Just popping back in for a quick update:

I still have yet to see the surgeon, so I still don’t have the X-ray photos. His office is giving me the go around and last time I called they said he’s not seeing anyone not already scheduled until at least August. My GP read me the radiology report though and they said there’s no obvious fractures in the stem and doesn’t appear to be any loosening of the stem. So I’m frustrated. The pain just keeps getting worse and happens much more frequently now.... any slight misstep, sitting on any chair (it puts pressure in the wrong spot I guess), any walking whatsoever, radiates to my knee all the time now, and now there is a constant ache all the time. I just left work and seriously thought about just going downstairs to the ER because it gets to be too much.

Sorry for the negativity and pity party, i’m just frustrated. This surgeon fixed my other hip after a different surgeon butchered it, so I wasn’t anticipating any issues with this one. I was hoping it would just start to gradually get better, but it doesn’t seem to be happening.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello,
Can you simply request your x-rays before your appointment? I did and all I had to do was sign a form. I requested all x-rays, office call and surgery notes. I received all in the mail within days.

I'm sorry you continue to struggle. I am wishing you comfort as you seek answers and resolution.
Please stay in touch, we'll be here.
@Vhaqli

OP
OP
Vhaqli

Vhaqli

Country
Canada Canada
@Layla it’s more complicated in Canada to get personal health records. I will try and see what I can manage.

OP
OP
Vhaqli

Vhaqli

Country
Canada Canada
So I’m now 10+ months out from my LTHR, and things are no better, if anything it’s worse. I did finally see my surgeon and will attach my most recent X-ray. I also had a SPECT scan done last week and will be having an mri of hip and knee next Friday. The thigh pain is constantly there, and on weight bearing it intensifies and feels unstable. About 6 weeks ago the instability hit me hard and the hip felt like it gave out on me and I fell, twisting my knee as I went down and now have a pretty bad knee injury ontop of this thigh/groin pain, and am back to being reliant on crutches 80% of the time. I have not done more than walking around my house as far as “exercising” goes in months. Hoping that these scans the surgeon ordered will shed some light on what is going on. I see him again on the 18th for results.

This X-ray was done when I fell to be sure I hadn’t broken anything, so it is from August 17th.
FD80F42A-ABD5-4A11-B901-B4BBB1FCC785.jpeg

Debru4

graduate
Country
I don't have any advice for you, but I did want to tell you how sorry I am that you are still having so much pain following your November hip replacement. I can only imagine how overwhelmed you are, and hope that the current round of testing you are in the midst of will offer some answers. Please feel free to share your questions/thoughts/concerns here on the forum. Often there are others who have had a similar experience. Always there are those who care, and understand the worry, fear, frustration that you are experiencing.:loveshwr:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello Vhaqli,
I'm sorry you continue to struggle at ten months post op. My heart goes out to you in your longsuffering. The forum Nurse, Josephine, who normally reads the x-rays, poses questions and offers guidance is currently away from the forum recovering from surgery herself. As of now she's tentatively scheduled to return next week and at that time we can tag her to review your situation, but I can't make any promises in regard to her schedule, nor how long it may take her to get up to speed upon her return. I'm sorry to hear about the fall and that you're now dealing with a knee injury in addition to all else.

If Josephine is unable to get back to you before your appointment, please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. We care and we'll be here to offer support and encouragement.
Wishing you comfort and peaceful weekend.
@Vhaqli

OP
OP
Vhaqli

Vhaqli

Country
Canada Canada
A small update: I saw the surgeon again today after having a SPECT scan and MRI done of both the hip and knee. He says there is definitely a little “flare” on the CT around the tip of the stem. Our hope is that over time it will get better on it’s own. He says thigh pain like this isn’t common, but it does happen and most of the time it gets better. But if it doesn’t, he will do a revision with a longer, more sturdy stem like the one he put in when he did the revision on the right. We also discovered the AVN is also in my knee, and is likely what is causing the pain there. He said my knee lit up quite a it more than the hip on the SPECT scan. So more wait and see. Fingers crossed this just gets better because the thought of another hip surgery is daunting. Especially now that we’re also looking at knees.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:fingersx: things improve.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, I wish you weren't dealing with pain. I hope your surgeon is right and things do improve over time allowing you to avoid a revision. Finger crossed for you. Please keep in touch.
Wishing you comfort and complete healing.
@Vhaqli

Top Bottom