Guest viewing is limited

TKR Success story

HELP!!! I was getting dinner ready and cut my finger on the metal cutting edge of a roll of wax paper. I rinsed it immediately with cold water and when it stops bleeding, I will wash with soap and water and apply a bandaid. With warnings of infections going to the joint, should I worry?
 
I believe you'll be fine. It would be highly unusual for that cut to cause your knee any problems. If it was a deep cut on your tkr knee, then maybe a reason to worry. Cleaning it up with soap is the best thing for you to do.
 
There are lots of ways to get an infection in fact anytime you cut yourself go to dentist pretty much anytime you have bleeding there is a chance but as it was mentioned odds are for the majority of the time you will be fine now if it was a deep cut requiring stitches I would be more concerned.
 
Post-operative joint infections don't result from cuts. Please don't worry about this.

Most of the time when a joint gets an infection, it's from contamination that was introduced during the surgical procedure itself or it results from biofilm that can be present on an implant. It would be VERY unusual for you to get an external skin infection and have it travel to your implant.

You did the right thing by immediately cleaning the wound. But you will be fine.

Here is an article from our BoneSmart Library that provides additional information for you.
 
Thank you everyone. It was a shallow cut, bled a lot, and cleaned it several times with soap and water. I will worry less about cooking cuts and clean the wound immediately if I get one.
 
@Jamie I read and bookmarked the articles in the link you sent regarding dental care and antibiotics. My OS recommends antibiotics for any dental procedure and my dentist says I do not need it especially for a simple 6 month cleaning. She says I have good oral hygiene and antibiotics are not necessary. I will give this some thought for my January dental appointment.
 
I didn’t get to the dentist until after my one year knee anniversary and I didn’t pre medicate and I’ve been fine. I was actually very opposed to taking the antibiotic (I’ve had reactions) and searched for a new dentist who would not require it. I like my new dentist and she’s worth the 40 minute drive.

I’ve had several cleanings since, and one restoration done, and no antibiotics and no problems.
 
I had L-TKR on August 26, 2019 and I am so glad that I did. It was hard in the beginning couple of weeks, but things do improve. I quit PT after being tortured which caused additional pain. Instead, I just kept moving. Ice really is the key to reducing pain the first few weeks following surgery.

My surgical knee does feel somewhat like a prosthetic, but no pain and it does everything I ask it to do. I can walk 3 miles and rode my bike 2 miles this morning and am working up to longer rides. Could have ridden farther, but I don't wan to overdo it. I can kneel briefly to do yoga poses and stretches and when mopping the kitchen floor or gardening.

At one point I was concerned I would never be able to go up/downstairs the normal way and I was advised by this forum that suddenly you just start going up and down stairs normally which is so true.

Have no idea what my degrees of bend and extension are, but it doesn't matter. My knee does everything I need it to do. Thanks to everyone's support.

When my other knee needs replacement, I will schedule replacement. There are many good outcomes from this surgery.
 
Last edited:
@Mrty2019 ... I’m so happy to read your update, especially about the stairs. At 3 months post op, I can do one to three steps the “normal” way, but then my new knee tells me to stop. My PT and OS say it will happen at some point, and you just confirmed that for me. Thank you!
 
@Mrty2019
Great to hear how well you are doing, thanks for coming back and posting an update. You post will be helpful to new members just starting out on their joint replacement journey.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
@Mrty2019 ... I’m so happy to read your update, especially about the stairs. At 3 months post op, I can do one to three steps the “normal” way, but then my new knee tells me to stop. My PT and OS say it will happen at some point, and you just confirmed that for me. Thank you!
Yes, I found the stair ascending and descending thing to be very interesting. Had right TKR on Feb18. To make a long story short, around 3 months post-op I decided to try coming down the stairs foot over foot. I quickly discovered that the mechanics that we take for granted were a bit shakey! I needed to “retrain” my knee to bend at the proper time. But before long I had the hang of it and now I just go slowly and ALWAYS have the handrail close by.

celebrate the little victories…
 
I had left total knee replacement 8 weeks ago on 8/26/19. My knee had been fine-no joint problems but in mid-April I went for my regular 3-4 mile walk and the next day my knee was in pain. The joint then locked in a 90 degree angle. Doctor ordered PT, and I could almost straighten my leg, but it would give out without notice leaving me in pain and in a wheelchair for the summer. I had an MRI that showed a stress fracture. Xrays showed bone on bone.

I started PT immediately following my joint replacement with the same therapist that I trusted when my knee locked in place. It started with easy stretching and massage, but moved to torture. He would put my heel on a towel and push my knee down either with his hands or 10 pound weights putting me in excruciating pain. One session he strapped me to the table and raised the table to flatten my leg and kept it there which made we cry. He said tears were a milestone. I read Josephine‘s article showing what not to do and the PT had me do all of those with more at home. By the end of my 2x a week session, I could barely walk and was in pain.

My PT has a doctorate and was completing an 18 month residency so it has to be the protocol used. I put up with it because I thought it was necessary for recovery. Then I found this site and read all the articles and cancelled all my future appointments. I have good bend with my knee, but extension is harder for me. Saw my OS at 6 weeks and he was glad to see me walking and said extension will come over time.

In the midst of this my 44 year old son and only child died somewhat unexpectedly on May 14. He had been ill but I hadn’t expected him to die.

My problem now is lack of energy. No pain and I am sleeping 7-8 hours, but feel tired and drained and need to rest several times/most of the day. Also due to my inactivity I have been careful what I eat since before surgery not wanting to put extra weight on my joints. I have lost 15 pounds without much effort. If I go grocery shopping or out to dinner with my husband it takes me two days to recover. When will this improve?
I am sorry for your loss
 
Back
Top Bottom