THR Strange pain

Brandon

Country
Canada Canada
Hello everyone, 4 weeks out THR kind of worried I never pain all this time but my foot slipped a little on the floor while on crutches and my groin is tender and some pain where your leg attaches to the pelvis. But ever since surgery I had a little clunk when walking that concerns me . No pain in hip and doesn’t hurt to walk. I’m afraid I pulled something out of place I’m really freaked out.

Hi Brandon and :welome: to the BoneSmart forum! I am sorry you had a nasty slip like that. I did something similar with my left THR and it set me back for a bit and was so frustrating and I certainly empathize with you.
I had some clicking and popping afterwards but didn't worry about it mainly because I actually went to the E.R. to have it checked over with a couple xrays.
Mine was actually so painful that they gave me crutches to use for a few days and reassured me that the popping and clicking was inflamed tissues.
Why don't you schedule an appointment with your surgeon and have him check things out for you? Some reassurance does wonders for your worry muscle..

It's been a while since you had your surgery, can you please give us your surgery date and which hip and we will make a nice signature for you. It will show at the bottom of your posts and is so helpful when members are reading and answering your questions.
I will leave you some reading material that might help you, even though you are 4 weeks out.
I will add it in an additional post

Okay Brandon, here you go! Happy reading and glad you found us here on BoneSmart :flwrysmile:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

My surgery date was June 30th of this year . Left THR . I can’t just go to my surgeon he is a 5hr drive away. I have my 6 week follow up august 10th . Can’t these easily come out of place ? As I said I’m freaked out I don’t want to go back under the knife.

@Brandon Dislocations after hip replacement are actually quite rare. If you had caused the new hip to dislocate you would be in extreme pain and would not be able to walk or bear weight on that leg. What most likely happened is you strained the muscles around the hip. Taking it real easy for a few days plus icing and elevating the leg should help. Even though it's a long way to your surgeon's office you could call and see if a video appointment or even just a phone call appointment is possible I'd encourage that contact particularly if your feeling really sore tomorrow.

Thank you I might consider, It is causing no pain to walk or bear weight just strange sensation

You might be able to get X-rays at a local place and have them sent via computer to your surgeon. Perhaps an option if you're really worried. You can always call your surgeon's office when you have a concern.

You can dislocate but I really doubt you did, those that have say it's pass out pain. I had a clicking with both hips and they were different as to when they gave me the sensation. Always advise to err on the side of caution but chances are you did just strain an already strained and healing muscle. That is something almost all of us have gone through. Then the hardest part is sitting with ice on it trying to determine if we've screwed up the implant or just strained soft tissue. Chances are a couple of days of doing nothing and applying ice and you'll be good to go.

Slips, trips and falls can cause all sorts of aches and pains post op. Soft tissues are still healing and are very sensitive. Please don't worry about a dislocation. You would not be able to move and would be in major pain if you dislocated.

Some to the clicking sensation you are feeling is due to the muscles and soft tissues needing to firm up around the joint. This just takes time.

So I’ve been reading and it seems ok to sleep on my non operated side with pillows between my legs . Since I’ve been doing that I’m able to get a restful sleep.

Hey Brandon,
Great to hear you’re sleeping well.
Here is an article on side sleeping that may interest you.
Have a great rest of the week! :)
@Brandon

Wow after reading that article I think I slept on my side way too early . But I sleep with a pillow all the way down my legs to my feet . I sure hope I never set myself back. But I was getting mean and cranky with my loved ones with no sleep . I’m about a month post op now. Now I’m wondering if I stay with 2 crutches or can I move to a cane for my walks.

@Brandon If you are comfortable sleeping on your side then there is no reason not to do so :)

As for the crutches vs cane - give it a try! Any walking aid is for YOU to feel steady and safe while getting use to a new hip. I was about 2 months post op from my BTHR when I changed to using just a cane ... and did not need to use even that for very long.

Hello @Brandon,
I’ll echo that you shouldn’t fret about side sleeping if you‘ve been doing so comfortably. I also use a long pillow, a Body Pillow, while sleeping, as you described. I’ve used it since my early recovery and can’t fall asleep without it.

I practiced transitioning from walker to cane with my husband on one side, a wall on the other, until I felt comfortable walking without relying on a barrier to lean into. Didn’t take long. Another milestone along the way. Pretty soon you’ll be cruising around unassisted.

Happy One Month Anniversary! A great weekend to you. :)

Thank you so much for the encouragement and I apologize for all the newbie conversation. I have a weird question tho. Can the implant physically twist inside the bone ? I’ve always wondered how secure they are.

@Brandon The implant that goes into your femur fits very snugly into the bone and over time (usually a couple of months) more bone grows around the implant. It would take, I think, a very strange movement with a lot of force to get the implant to twist within the bone. And most likely the two pieces of the implants (ball and socket) would dislocate before the stem would twist.

The questions are common, we've all had questions about this journey.
As far as sleeping goes if it feels good do it. I had an odd sensation in my OP side when I tried to sleep on my non OP side even with the pillow between my legs. Once that sensation went away I was sleeping on my non OP side so I could get some sleep, I'm not a back sleeper.
The walker-crutches-cane transition is all different for us. With my first because everything was new to me I had my questions and doubts and took my time transitioning to a cane. I practiced in the house short distances until I felt comfortable then it was easy. Of course with my second I knew what to expect and the transition was easier and quicker.
About the implant I'm sure we could manage to do just about any and everything to screw it up if we weren't careful. I've had one in my hands and the way they are designed they really shouldn't turn inside the femur. They are also designed to promote bone growth around them to hold them in place. They pound them in place pretty good. If we give them half a chance by following the recovery recommendations it should all work out as planned. Falling down of course is the biggest no-no for damaging the implant.

:yay::happydance:Yippy Skippy! Great feeling to make the transition! Go slow, in my enthusiasm I overdid it and spent a day chillin :ice:because of it. Short lived, but taught me to slow down.
A great weekend to you!
@Brandon

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom