Knee Infection* Still Struggling

I got addicted to it which caused a lot of stress and anxiety. I had to get help from my GP to wean me off. She is fully aware of my past problems, hence the reason I have not been put back on it. I have also had severe stomach issues related to co-codamol and am not able to take that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yes, having the past surgeries certainly have caused some problems. I think they have made my pain threshold quite high!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Having a bit of a down day today. Day 16 and feel like I have taken a step back. I’ve been resting, icing, elevating but today I feel like I have more swelling due to tightness of rectus femoris. There seems to be no let up, just getting tighter!
I’m also still bleeding from a small part at the bottom of the scar. As it’s day 16, do I need to get this checked?
Just one of those days where it’s all against me.
I’m usually very active and getting cabin fever which isn’t helping!
Thanks to this forum I can let it off other than putting it all on my wife’s shoulders who has been amazing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm sorry you're having a down day. Unfortunately, they do happen.

Yes, if you're concerned about your incision's drainage, do let your surgeon know.

Recovery from a TKR isn't a linear progression. It's more like 2 steps forward and one step back, or a roller-coaster ride, with lots of ups and downs.
It's also something that takes a long time - as long as a full year for complete recovery of all your tissues - so try to look on it as more of a marathon than a sprint.

Try not to think of resting as "lying around, doing nothing." Instead, think of it as working hard, to give your knee the best possible chance of healing well.
In other words, when you are icing and elevating and watching TV, you are not 'lazing around' - you are "engaging in a carefully considered, proactively designed, heuristically programmed, dynamically structured recovery programme".
 
You're far enough along that you're out the initial post surgical stage, but smack in the middle of the "I feel lousy" stage. :console2:
 
NHS

I’ll try and make this brief everyone as I currently lay on my back in an unused children’s ward!

I noticed something not quite right with the wound on from my TKR Dec 28. I went to GP who put me on a dose of antibiotics which did not make any difference after the 48hr period. I went back to GP who was somewhat shocked at the look of my wound

Fast forward, called through to hospital Friday 5th Jan notifying them that I was on my way. Initial wait to see triage nurse hour and a half. Pleased that I had letter of referral, was deemed important! Had bloods taken, sent back out to wait. 2hrs later called through by a ‘bone doctor’ as she described herself. I explained how I how a revision of unicompartmental to TKR Dec 15 and discharged Dec 20. Sign of infection. She took a swab and said she will need to check with her senior. Sent back to wait, bearing in mind I’m 20 days since TKR. No offer of elevation, ice, nothing!

Finally I was called through only to wait in some poky hospital room to then be told I was to be taken to a ward. Put in a wheel chair and then had to wait in the corridor whilst they found the bed. 20mins later, wheeled into the ward, unmade bed was there but they needed 20min to organise it. I have not iced or elevated for 6hrs!!

7½hrs in total I got to lay on a bed. 3 consultants came briefly and instructed a dose of IV be placed and reviewed in the morning.

Sat 5th Jan: New consultant reviewed and was to carry on dose. Now!
15:15 was taken to unused children’s ward, no bed raise, no orthopaedic specialists/nurses on hand

I have had it all. They had no record of the pain relief I was taking since leaving the Orthopaedic Centre Dec 20. They had no idea of what I have been through. It was/is a complete shambles. My wound was still weeping and it wasn’t until we demanded to see the orthopaedics did someone finally take it seriously. By this stage the stench and rotting skin was something else.

Sorry forgot to mention the nursing staff took me off the IV only for registrar to re-administer. I was then seen by a different consultant at 09:15 today and told I needed a washout. This happened at 11:00.

I awoke back on the children’s ward after being told I would be moved to orthopaedic care by the doctor. Since 11:00 I have had no contact with any person that performed the washout. Only when I asked the nurse was I able to put weight on my leg, she said no, you are on bed rest. How am I to go to the toilet? We will wheelchair you. Can I at least not have a bottle to wee in? Unbelievable!

I have been stuck on this bed with no care, administering my own pain relief due to lack of knowledge and empathy from this so called hospital. You read about these things but never expect it to happen to you. I have tried to make this as brief as I can! Sorry to bore you if you got to the end but this has been an experience I will never forget. Apparently I someone will speak to me tomorrow AM.

Couple of extras: IV put in 2hrs late did not have enough. There is plenty more, please feel free to ask any questions no matter how ridiculous because it has probably happened to me.

Must not forget....initial swab lost!
Attached is the photo of the wound when we had to demand to see someone related to orthopaedics last night!


[Bonesmart.org] Still Struggling



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm sorry you're going through this, @juzzy . It sounds as if you're going to have to be the squeaky gate and keep on insisting that you get appropriate care.
 
I have been @Celle believe me but it just continuously falls on deaf ears. I am so tired. It is the general lack of respect and courtesy that astounds me.
I would be better off at home with my family.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@AnnieC, I know you would think that I am making it up! It is like a bad dream!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Your past and recent history sounds absolutely terrible @juzzy - you've been through the wringer it seems. I hope you manage to get someone to listen and actually help you soon. You should be on an Ortho ward surely? Out of interest, where in the UK do you live?
 
@robhunt3, I’m South West London. The Orthopaedic Centre where I had previous ops, absolutely fantastic. I don’t know why I have been put in this particular hospital. The post op care that I am experiencing is non existent!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
This is awful @juzzy. I hope you get the correct and deserved treatment very soon.
 
I’m South West London
Ah OK, sounds absolutely terrible. St Georges? Maybe you're being neglected because of the current Winter emergency situation with the NHS (with a lot of non-urgent stuff being cancelled etc.)? Maybe that's why you're not getting the care you should? No excuse of course, but it might explain it in some way. I wish you all the best, let us know how it goes.
 
I am so sorry you are dealing with such an unacceptable situation. What does your surgeon have to say about all this?
 
A light at the end of the tunnel. I have been released after negotiating! I’m now in a splint 24/7 for the next 2 weeks. I must travel to hospital and continue to receive IV antibiotics at 6pm for 2weeks. Samples taken from ‘washout’ will be continued to be grown to establish bacteria. Hopefully nothing on or under implant.

I’m just so thankful to be out of that ward. Consultants have been great but like I have stated the after care is unimaginable! I had a dose of what I thought was IV antibiotics given to me at 06:15 this morning as I was telling the on call consultant. Looking through the charts, nothing had been recorded!! This was given by an agency nurse. They are investigating (supposedly).

Not a nice feeling thinking you have an IV line getting some liquid pumped in when not recorded on your chart! The only way is up now!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom