Still sore knees!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pippy

Country
Australia Australia
Hi Jamie and Josephine, it has been ages since i have visited here. Still battling with my back and more than anything now is that both my knees are really sore when i walk. i had a bone scan and the OS said all was fine with the knees and that the lower back is probably causing the knees to feel so uncomfortable and referred me to a neurosurgeon! I am not sure i am going down that road. On the increase and mainly at night often waking me up, is really bad nerve pain sometimes starting in the foot and going up the shin to the knee, other times it seems to come from my hip and down through the knee and manifests itself behind the ankle bone (outside). it is really really painful, deep deep bone and nerve pain i have to resort to Tramadol. I have returned to a physio and hope to begin some pilates soon, but i am very frustrated because OS says it is the back and refers me to NS, my neurologist says i don't need a NS, so who pray tell is going to sort it out??My neuroloigist has changed my medication and put me on some stuff beginning with G but i am not sure of the name as it is still in the chemists. used for nerve pain amongst other things, but i feel, rightly or wrongly, that by taking these pain killing drugs, isnt that just masking the problem, isnt it best to find out the cause or am i missing something here?
Pippy:rant:

If I had this problem, my first call would be to a chiropractor for an assessment. It sounds like some nerves are being trapped somewhere, more than likely in the back/hips.
Good luck (except during the ashes tests:D)

Hi Pippy, I have a history of sciatic pain so this sounds familiar. What does your PT say? Are you doing any stretches - like hamstring or piriformis? If so, do they aggravate the pain?

Pain meds may help settle things so that you can start doing the core stability exercises and stretches. Tykey is right, some people do have good luck with a chiropractor. After almost 6 years I finally found an osteopath who has helped me get rid of my sciatic pain.

Please don't wait too long to get this treated. That was my biggest mistake! Early attention and the right core stability exercises can help you get control of this.

All the best!

Yes, definitely find a good chiropractor or osteopath. I had the same sore knees for awhile especially at night, and my OS said it was because of my back, and my pelvis being out of alignment. My Chiropractor took care of it thankfully, also went to some PT. A simple exercise laying with a tennis ball on the Periformos muscle in the buttock really did the trick. It is called the Periformos Syndrome that sends the pains down the leg and to the knees. Hope you find relief soon.

All been said and I second it with emphasis! Is the drug called gabapentin? It's a neuro blocking pain killer. Some people love it, others don't. I was one of the latter group!

Hi Pippy...I also take neurontin (gabapentin) for sciatica pain. It does seem to help but doesn't cure the problem. I do alot of stretching also. If you find a cure let me know.

Yes that is the drug folks, i do hope that it works for me....i am under physio now, have done my dash with chiro last year to no avail, so am sticking with physio, stretching and pilates which i love. i pray that it works! (without any adverse side effects). Am extremely sore this morning, yikes, got the grandchildren coming round, better get going!! thank you all for your help! ANyone know WHAT causes this pain, aside from the nerve pain, what causes the intense burning and heat within, so many months down the track??

Further to the drug Gabapentin that i am taking at the moment. it is indeed allowing me to move better and do my PT exercises which is bliss but how will i know that the PT is working as the pain is being masked by the drug! I see a neurosurgeon on 7th Jan, should i wean myself off it a couple of weeks before and see if the same nerve pain comes back> The PT doesn't think it is actual sciatica but some other nerve being a bother. Any ideas??

Yes, I probably would have a 48hr gap so he can see it as it is.

Last chance to do the forum survey
If you haven't done it, please do it now
It will be gone by Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao