TKR Still on the Move

Now, to answer your question about Tylenol:
You are still very early in this year-long recovery and it is safe to keep taking the Tylenol for as long as you need it, as long as you stay within the recommended safe doses.
The warning on the bottle is for general pain - if that continued longer than 10 days you would need to see a doctor, to find the cause of the pain. Your pain is because of the knee replacement, a known cause.

The safe dose is 4,000 mg in 24 hours, divided into four doses of 1,000 mg each, spread apart 4-6 hourly.
You need to check any other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in them. If there is, add those amounts into your calculations of the daily dose and reduce your other Tylenol doses, so you stay within 4,000 mg in each 24 hours.
 
My sister had her knee replaced about 3 years before I did and struggled with extension. At 3 months she finally achieved a 2 and was dismissed from PT. Today it's a zero. Some of us take longer to get there than others. Keep slowly working at it; walking, a few stretches, whatever it takes. Work to the point of discomfort- not pain - just stretchy discomfort and keep up the routine day by day until it gets easier then increase it a bit until you hit the discomfort level again. You may not ready yet but riding a recumbent bike helped me and my sister. The first minute or so was uncomfortable then it got better. I'm sure you will continue to see improvement as time goes by.
 
Alright, my 9th week post op RTKR.

I'm not driving yet because I have a rough four-wheel-drive vehicle and I need more leg strength to handle that.

Constantly working on my flexing and bending next appointment will be April 1. I'm working on getting a gold star from my OS.

I've been taking Tylenol extra strength for a few weeks now and I want to stop. I still have some swelling and I have a little pain from the swelling so I think I'm going to start using Arnica gel today. If I can be pill free except for my blood pressure medicine I will be very happy.

Also I started using melatonin gummy things to help me sleep at night. They're not super-strong but they get me in the mood to sleep. NEVER STOP ICING!!!!!HOORAH!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Please let me know how the arnica gel works for you. I am also trying Traumeel tablets. I'm not a fan of Tylenol as I have had high liver enzymes in the past and worked hard to get them down but still have lots of liver cysts. I still take Tylenol as needed but would love an alternative.
 
Question . You said you went from -45 to -15.

What did you do specifically ?

I am stuck at -35 at week 5 . Would take -15 so I am interested .
 
If you're still having pain, there's a good reason for it...... your knee is still healing and can be for up to 12-18 months. I had a PTKR on my right knee and was worried about needing pain Meds after 3 months so I spoke to my GP and local pharmacist about it. As Celle says, so long as you keep within the recommended dosage, and my GP and pharmacist agreed when I was concerned , you should be fine.
 
Constantly working on my flexing and bending
Exactly what does this mean?
I've been taking Tylenol extra strength for a few weeks now and I want to stop.
This sounds like you're worrying that you need to wean off. Is that right? Because you don't need to wean off Tylenol. You can just stop.
 
At this point, I'm shaking my head thinking--- my gosh-- how can I appear so uninformed ? I'm not. Wizardoz1- I rode a stationary bike for rom- I work on my extension every day- gardening, walking a lot- doing stretches right at the curb beforehand, at the kitchen sink , etc. no one is doing any pressing of the knee except for myself. I'm now at 14 weeks and every day is a little better. Sleep is always getting better- I'm conditioning my knee to sleep how I want to sleep. I'm off all meds. I'm icing when I've overdone it. swimming is my next project and I can't wait( no flippers yet) have a good healing day all!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Still on the Move
Hello all! I haven’t been on this site for a long time, since June 2018 I believe. My surgery was January 2018 for a right total knee replacement. I am writing this now from Portugal where my husband and I are having a backpack tour through Europe. Hang in there everyone. Bone smart really helped me get through a lot of situations and self doubt. I had no formal PT I did my own. When I exited my doctors care at 6 weeks, I did not have a straight leg yet, did not have full ROM. I was still limping a little, but I KNEW I could recover completely. It took me a while to regain strength in my right leg, it just took time. I stayed in the ‘no pain=gain’ state of mind, and have shared that w others. Now I am walking the uneven streets of Portugal, going up and down stairs at castles and through woods, vaguely staying aware of how my knee feels. our next launch will be into Greece. If you’re going to do self recovery, stay dedicated. Listen to your knee. Good luck you got this. Thank you Bonesmart.
 
Last edited:
How wonderful that you are doing so well! Uneven streets and steps, wow! I still struggle with both of those!

And you recovered without formal PT! That’s great!
 
Hi @ColleenAda
Thanks for your post. I had a hip replacement in July which is doing well but I need the opposite knee done too and that is really playing me up and I can't walk much on it. Because I am waiting for the NHS (long waiting list) mine probably wont be until next year but seeing your post really gives me hope that I can make a full recovery.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Still on the Move
@ColleenAda, You may notice that I have merged your two threads and all its responses. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three. How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Stay focused, recovery doesn’t have to hurt. I thought my recovery was going to take longer but perseverance, not going beyond my pain tolerance, and focused walking every day I think was my key. I stopped when I was tired. Iced a lot to keep the swelling down- as you know, you cannot bend a swollen knee. I didn’t PUSH anything-
 
TRKR JAN 2018 After bopping around Europe for a month and a half, Portugal >Rome>France>3 Greek islands>Germany> Nederlands(we ended up getting vaccinated here for Asia)12 hour train back to ramstein we took a ‘pop up’ flight from ramstein to mcchord ab in Washington to visit family. Poppin Smoke to Asia in about a week. Knee is feeling goooood. Safe travels to all
 
backpacked Europe for 2 months, but it started getting cold. Left Amsterdam to come back to Washington to see kids, grandson and family. Decided to grab daughter and grandson and go to Hawaii for some sun. Pearl Harbor, hiked to manoa falls, climbed diamond head,walking my a** off. Knee is happy and strong. Mahalo and good recovery to all. Colleen Adams RTKR Jan 10, 2018
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Still on the Move
    370718AC-7642-464B-B84E-F214FC2C3A6D.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 166
  • [Bonesmart.org] Still on the Move
    F8D084D8-682E-4FD8-A074-AD1F94FB895F.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 168
  • [Bonesmart.org] Still on the Move
    67837F68-A17B-4BCA-9314-5D1927EE5095.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 170

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom