Guest viewing is limited

TKR Still can’t get comfortable at night

I can relate with your ankle pain. I broke it and my foot on the same leg as my TKR. It was less than a year out from that recovery. The ankle break angered my new knee because I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. The new knee wanted to be used! Anyway, I iced and elevated the ankle just like I did the knee. Even after 7 years, I still have to baby the ankle because it will get really painful.

Have you tried icing and elevating your ankle? There are some gentle exercises to help to stabilize the ankle, which might help you. Wearing the brace is a good idea. I still carry mine when going to be walking a lot. I have the cane also, just in case. I pray your ankle settles down so you can get back to doing the things you want to do.
 
I sprained my ankle badly, twice in the six months before TKR on same leg.
Wow, I’m so sorry! That’s a lot and you’re going to have to be extra patient as you recover from all of that. :console2:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hopefully the restless legs are settling and you’re sleeping better these days.
I believe with more time and lots of patience, you’ll see brighter days soon.
Hang in there and stay in touch!
@Deknees
 
I am six weeks post up and I also have been suffering from restless legs every night. So I had a brainstorm one night I have a small tens unit. I use the tens unit on my legs and it does the trick it’s great.
 
Hi, I have been wearing a knee sleeve to help improve my sleep at night. Most of my swelling comes out the back of my knee so that’s why sleeping is uncomfortable.. How does the Tens machine with sleeping? I’ve never used one before, so I’d be interested in hearing how it works as I may purchase one myself.. I have an icing machine, but it hasn’t really made a difference for the nighttime sleeping as the effect wears off after a while.
 
I used the cool water jacket of my Aircast Cryocuff to rest my leg on as I went to sleep. In the early weeks I would refresh the water in the night.
 
I had knee surgery on March 26th.
I‘m at nearly 6 weeks since the op. Whilst my knee is healing as it should my biggest challenge is sleeplessness coupled with restless legs. I have always been a pooor sleeper and have had restless legs occasionally causing the insomnia. But since the knee replacement I have had only two nights in almost six weeks where I slept a maximum of three hours at a stretch. The rest of the time I exist on 2 to three hours a night, sometimes even less. whilst generally a well-motivated person, good energy and good outlook, all of this is rapidly decreasing, my mood is very low at times, energy and motivation hard to find, exhausted physically and mentally almost every day. Doctor prescribed a short dose sleeping tablets, they failed to deliver and I felt toxic and like a zombie the following day. The restless legs at night is very hard on my poorly leg as I am driven off the bed to move or tense my muscles, for hours at a time. Falling asleep mostly eludes me.

@Deknees
I can totally emphasize with you, as I was still struggling with sleep at that time as well. My TKR was in December 2023, so I’m 7 months into my recovery. It is normal to have leg spasms and “jerks” which is what I called them. I slept more comfortable in my recliner than my bed for quite awhile. Lying in bed, seemed to cause more restlessness than in my recliner. However, I do have a remedy that worked for me! I’ve been a nurse for 40 years, and I’m back working 12 hour shifts. If I don’t hydrate enough at work with some type of electrolyte drink (Gatorade), I tend to get bad leg cramps and restless legs. I use Hylands Pm for leg cramps. It’s a tab that melts under your tongue. It can be bought at Walgreens, Walmart, etc. It calms my legs and help me sleep all night. I take two tabs after I work my long shifts, and it works wonders! Finally, taking a magnesium supplement at night aids in relaxing me and helping me sleep. It’s a great supplement for women. Good luck, and hope this helps
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom