THR Sportsider65 2nd THR 5 days in

Day 19
I got half the staples out 4 days ago. Every 2nd one left in for another week. Swelling pretty much gone. I saw physio on the same day. I was still restricted with tight quad, so physio gave me a good hang leg off side of bed stretch that is working great. Not ready for new exercises yet. Only toe curls, butt clenches and foot lift with rolled towel under knee. I can now bend knee 90 degrees. Walking heel to toe slowly with walker while 90% weight bearing in the house. Pretty much sleeping through the night on back and side with long pillow tween legs. Stopped all pain meds on day 16.

You are progressing right along.. your updates are enjoyable to read.. glad you are doing so well.

You’re doing great! Best thing is it’s going get even better, as you know from past experience.
Have a wonderful week!
@Sportsider65

Although I feel close, I haven't felt strong or confident enough to take steps without the walker yet.
I am curious when most people take their first short walks around the house with no walker or cane?

Hi @Sportsider65. I saw your question in another persons thread and thought I would answer it here so I didn't derail another's thread. For myself and I believe many others I think it starts with two or three steps while having a hand on a counter top etc. for extra support. Pretty soon it's a small trip across the room and not realizing that I didn't have the walker until I was already there. It was similar weaning off a cane later on, I just started walking to someplace and not even realizing I didn't have a cane with me. There is no rush, and as long as you need an assistive device to walk without limping you should use one.

Thank you.
I couldn't remember when I took first unaided steps after my other THR 2 years ago. Most of the comments I see say to start short walks and build up, but don't say if this is with walker or not. I wasn't sure when most people walked unassisted.

That’s how it was for me, also. I would just walk away from my walker then later, the cane.
Then some days I used it again, so I’d say it’s definitely not a linear progression.

Although I am close to breaking away from the walker..( hopefully like the scene in Forest Gump when he runs out of the braces!) I am improving my step and balance everyday.
In my quest for independence, I told my wife to take the morning off..." I will make breakfast this morning honey".
After we ate, we both agreed I am close, but not there yet!
Also, I found that my grabber works quite well for picking up the chips, cheezies and other items that I drop everyday..but, not too good for cheese slices, tomato slices and pads of butter!

Day 25
I am now walking with the walker 5 to 10 loops in the house, 2 or 3 times a day. ALMOST full weight on legs while focusing on heel to toe steps, even strides and no swaying. The tightness in Quad is still there, but improving daily.
As far as the feeling of longer leg the first 2 weeks, both feel even now!
All the best gang

Day 31
Everything feels great. Improving daily. I would say I am a week or 2 behind compared to my other THR.
My surgeon puts a no abducter exercises restriction on now that I didn't have 2 years ago. Maybe some had problems doing them too early before?
So, no clam shells or heel slides to strengthen the butt muscles and abducters until I see him after 6 weeks.
I am walking lots in house with walker, close to 100% weight bearing. Also a few walks with the cane in house.
I'm not quite strong enough without the aides yet. Can't wait to have restrictions dropped to let my chickens fly!

Happy One Month Anniversary! You seem to be doing well. Awesome!
Here is some info that references a couple of the exercises you mentioned.
A great weekend to you!
@Sportsider65

Good info on physical therapy…. Had three hip joint replacements and tried professional therapists they have really no idea what the surgery does to our bodies. Or what it‘s about … just give us stuff to do because and never warn about pain or to stop… in some cases pt causes damage that they cause to many of us just learning and struggling to walk. As far as teaching the proper movements for getting in and out of cars, chairs, stairs etc that is all they can really do to help us hippies . The rest is just plain ole fashioned healing … Healing takes over a year to really get back on track…They push us to do way much than individual bodies healing to get strong ….especially after 6-12 weeks it’s way to early in my humble opinion. Just walking is all I did after surgeries and I learned the hard way to never trust pt because it can cause more issues.

My oldest hip is over 23 years old and still tickin… take care of our new shinny hips and they will give back many good years And keep us movin on our own.

Day 33
First 3 or 4 steps today with no support, no pain!
Guessing 1 or 2 weeks slower than my other THR, but all feels good and strong.
Up to 40 or 50 loops in the house with walker. 6 or 8 loops with cane, plus all the other trips to washroom, laundry, dishes, snacks etc. with walker or cane.
Once I feel more confident walking with cane I will start short walks out on the street.
Big day!

Great progress.. take it slow and easy… sending healing vibes you way.

Day 39
Today I was able to walk 2 laps (80 steps total) in the house with no walker or cane. Big day.
I have been doing 40 or 50 laps daily over last week with the walker. Maybe 6 or 8 laps with cane, followed by a few steps unaided. As well as a few chores.
I am still restricted as far as clam shells, heel slides or anything to do with strengthening abductor muscles until I see surgeon next week for 6 week check up.
Other than the butt clenches, walking has been my rehab so far and I am starting to feel stronger each day.

Wonderful news! :yes!: Just a FYI…Clamshells are not recommended since they’re hard on the IT Band. Walking is the best exercise for recovery, but not to excess.

Thanks for sharing an update on your progress. It’s nice to hear you’re doing well and I hope you have a great visit with your surgeon next week! :)
@Sportsider65

Wonderful news! :yes!: Just a FYI…Clamshells are not recommended since they’re hard on the IT Band. Walking is the best exercise for recovery, but not to excess.

Thanks for sharing an update on your progress. It’s nice to hear you’re doing well and I hope you have a great visit with your surgeon next week! :)
@Sportsider65
What is the IT band?

The IT band is combination of muscle with a covering of tough fibrous bands called fascia. It starts on the outside top of the pelvis, passes over the greater trochanter of the hip, down the outside of the thigh and inserts into the side of the patella (knee cap) and the tibia, (shin bone). It also makes a sharp curve around the top of the tibia, just under and at the front of the knee joint.

iliotibial-band1.jpg

ITB 1.jpg

The IT band is one of the main structures used when walking, running, cycling and doing stairs or lunges. Because of its length and complexity - being involved with both the hip and the knee - it can easily become aggravated and inflamed, especially where it is attached to to bone when it is referred to as ilio-tibial band syndrome. The bursa on the trochanter at the hip can also become involved with its own special inflammatory condition called trochanteric bursitis.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom