Spinal versus general anesthetic

I had GA for my repair then Spinal for my TKR. I agree that the spinal was much better to recover from and it also was very helpful with pain relief, but whoa... when it wore off! I would caution anyone who has had back surgery that they may not be eligible for spinal though. Scar tissue almost prevented me from having spinal, which I had my heart set on, so that was a sad little time during morning of surgery. Also, the placement of the epidural was very painful due to the chronic back pain I have, but well worth it for not having the anesthesia to recover from! Would definitely suggest anyone with back surgery or back problems to discuss with DR before planning spinal anesthesia. Would have thought the DR would mention it:chinstroke:
 
I had GA for my repair then Spinal for my TKR. I agree that the spinal was much better to recover from and it also was very helpful with pain relief, but whoa... when it wore off! I would caution anyone who has had back surgery that they may not be eligible for spinal though. Scar tissue almost prevented me from having spinal, which I had my heart set on, so that was a sad little time during morning of surgery. Also, the placement of the epidural was very painful due to the chronic back pain I have, but well worth it for not having the anesthesia to recover from! Would definitely suggest anyone with back surgery or back problems to discuss with DR before planning spinal anesthesia. Would have thought the DR would mention it:chinstroke:

Ah, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for mentioning it and I'll be sure to bring that up!
 
Because of another medical problem, I am not allowed to have spinal anaesthetics, so I always have to have a GA.

Because I know that I experience nausea very easily, I always ask to be prescribed an anti-emetic. That works well and I don't have any problems recovering from the GA.
 
Spinal combined with GA was better than I thought. I thought I'd wake up really groggy but it was all the benefits of a spinal in that I could drink & eat early & GA in that I remembered nothing till I was in recovery room.
 
Most people who have a spinal also have sedation, so that they sleep through the surgery and aren't aware of it.
 
Thanks for this thread. My LTKR is 23.02 and this is one of the things I’m mulling over. I’ve had GA twice - for gall bladder surgery in 1995 and a lumpectomy in 2010. I vomitted all day after the gall bladder and was just so anxious during the lumpectomy that i was a mess before. Both surgeries were not quite emergencies, but both were done very quickly after diagnosis. Came out fine in both, but am thinking the spinal with sedation might be easier given the proper sedation.
 
Came out fine in both, but am thinking the spinal with sedation might be easier given the proper sedation.
I had GA during my spinal surgery. They gave me anti-nausea meds pre and post op. But it took me days before I really felt "normal". Spinal with the right amount of sedation is SO much easier to recover from. You are awake as they wheel you out of the theatre into recovery and can have normal meal soon after. No groggy feeling or nausea.
 
I recently had a colonoscopy. I didn't have a spinal, but I did have the sedation that they give you when you have a spinal. I slept through the entire procedure and I was not aware of anything until I woke up in the recovery room.
 
I was worried about having a spinal and a sedation,as I had a Epidural for my C Section. Thank you so much as I was dreading it.Now you have put my mind at rest.
I am having a left TKR on the 19th September,and after Christmas,I will have the right one done.
I am having a hip replacement. I was wondering how your surgery went. Especially the anesthesia. I hope you are doing well. I had a very small surgery where they used sedation but I could feel what they were doing and hear them but unable to respond so I have a huge dread of sedation.
 
I was very happy with my epidural. I didnt have sedation (but I know that's not for everyone). I could see anything icky because of the surgical drapes but at first I could see my knee reflected in the theater lights. Wasnt too sure that was a good thing! However they moved the light so no unpleasant views for me. Lots of equipment noise and movement of my leg but no sensation if pain.
My only comment really is that it was boring. I chatted to people but ran out of topics.
It was so good to avoid post op nausea and vomiting and that sore throat caused by intubation. I would not hesitate to do it again.
 
For me GA is fine. Never had vomiting nausea or a sore throat. The anaesthetist knew his stuff. I woke up alert and hungry!
I never pushed for a specific method but went with what the team uses. I am sure if I had a history of emesis and nausea they would have done differently
 
Hi

I could of had a spinal but opted for a GA - i have had a lot of ops with GA's and never really had an issue. I also had a femoral block which they did when i was under.
I know a lot of people have had great experiences with spinal's but for me I did not want the experience (i never had epidurals when having my kids either) - just the thought of a needle so close to my spine - i know it not logical but for me its a GA all the way.
The Anaesthetist spent a long time with me before the op after i had said i wanted a GA to explain that GA's and blocks have come a long way over the last 10 years and was happy to go along with what i wanted. He never tried to persuade me to a spinal which was great.
I woke from the GA feeling ok so would have a GA again if ever i need to do this again.
 
- just the thought of a needle so close to my spine - i know it not logical but for me its a GA all the way.
I feel the same way. I requested GA and the anesthesiologist agreed without trying to talk me into a spinal.

I was also given anti nausea medication for the first time and it worked!
 
I’ve had two hip replacements and one knee replacement. General anesthesia for all three. No nausea, no vomiting. In fact, I couldn’t wait to eat!
 
I've had a spinal for both my tkrs, which were perfect for me, although I've also had GAs for other surgeries and they were fine as well.
One advantage of spinal I realised, was that I had a few hours of being totally pain free while I got all my ducks in a row.
 
Back
Top Bottom