TKR SpaceGirls Road to Recovery Knee #2

@lovetocookandsew thank you, I only took the meds as scheduled, I learned last surgery that taking them before would only hurt me later. I am not sure how I over did it, but guess its possible. I didn’t do anything that hurt, heel pumps, leg lifts (he assisted but did not hurt), quad stretches (laying and pulling foot forward and pushing with quad- no assist), walked with walker and did some calf raises (i think thats what is called). The last was rom/bend heel slides but I only did what I could do, so maybe that part was too much. Who knows, either way I plan to take it easier at pt tomorrow.

@Wolvesfan thanks, it so hard to be relying on everyone for everything! I do recall this from last time too, but I swear this time is worse, which it could be. I need to go read my last recovery thread!

@Jockette thanks for the links, I will go re-read some that are pertinent to what I am going through right now since its been awhile.

I feel a little better than I did this morning, been icing off/on all morning, taking meds as scheduled, using my tens unit for pain and elevating as well. I also got some sleep, so that helps me mentally.

I changed my bandage today as it was time per the look of it. The incision looks pretty good to me, looks like I have about 41 staples. My post op visit is July 13, hoping the staples will come out then! Thanks for listening to me vent!

@Rick951 thank you, you are right. It will get better, just takes time!

I also forgot to add my pic of my knee, oops lol

Attachments

• SpaceGirls Road to Recovery Knee #2
    DE8693D7-56C8-44FE-B7F2-5D04E1E34F15.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 442
heel pumps, leg lifts (he assisted but did not hurt), quad stretches (laying and pulling foot forward and pushing with quad- no assist), walked with walker and did some calf raises (i think thats what is called). The last was rom/bend heel slides

That's a lot for 6 days out. I think your knee needs more time to heal before doing that much again. I skipped all formal PT last time around, and chose instead to only do ADLs. My personal preference is to avoid PT altogether as they tend to not want to listen to the patient, and try to push or guilt us into compliance. I'm glad I skipped it, and would do it again if I ever needed another TKR.

If you do decide to continue PT, just remember, the therapist works for you, it's your knee and you call the shots. No matter what they say, you have the right to refuse any or all exercises they want you to do. Also, don't let the therapist push on or move your knee, any movement should come from your own knee only, especially if they want to measure your ROM. The only measurement that matters is what you can achieve on your own, without pain. It's your body and your knee, and you make the decision as to what you will or won't do.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/saying-no-to-therapy-am-i-allowed-to.36688/

I had some real problems controlling pain, and my doctor has me increase the frequency of Percocet for a couple days, as well as add a muscle relaxer. That got me over the hump. Sounds like you are on a similar plan!

Sending you lots of healing and restful vibes!!!!

@lovetocookandsew you so right, they just push by the book and what they were taught. Its crazy their way of thinking has not changed!

@JennyLynne today was a little better, I did not do much, slept, iced and elevated. Took meds on schedule.
——————————————————-

So one week ago was surgery! Crazy that it has been a week already but also glad that it is moving a long. Pt stopped by today, he could tell I was in pain and and asked how much I had done since Monday. I laughed and said nothing except to heel pumps, quad sets and walk to bathroom and to be honest that was all I was worried about.

I told him it wasn’t my first rodeo and I know I did nothing special last time and my knee is fully recovered. He had me bend my right one and he was like well yeah ok that is great. Lol he says my age also prob helped and his opinion was that sometimes older people had more problems regaining rom/ext and that is why they pushed. ‍♀ I just said ok lol. We did some heel pumps, quad sets, walked and done. My heart rate was a little elevated, I said well I am already in pain so yeah. Today was easy, he is coming again tomorrow due to holiday Friday.

Overall I feel okay, still in pain and stiff. My bruises are turning a lovely purple color, looks like I have been beat lol I didn’t sleep to great last night due to the pain but am hopeful I will tonight.

@SpaceGirl yes you do have some interesting colors going on there! hope things start to improve, I am 1 week behind you.
Rick

I’m just impressed that you are wearing socks! :snork:

Sounds like you have a good PT who listens. What a difference that can make!

Hang in there, you’re doing fine and have a great attitude. It’s such a blessing to really know what to expect the second time around. I was beyond shocked at how my recovery went, because absolutely no one told me what to expect! :yikes:

And even though we would think a younger age would help recovery, it really doesn’t. Each knee is on its own timeframe.

Don’t do much with the PT today. Two days in a row can ramp up your pain, however minimal you think the activity is.

Hey, so I skipped pt today, woke up with a migraine and slept all day until 5! I was shocked, but hubby did wake me up for meds and some food.

Pain is still sitting about a 6/7, may not have pt again til Monday due to holiday. I will do some light exercises this weekend, heel pumps and quad sets and walking. That and ice/elevate and watch fireworks.

Nothing else to report today, I think some swelling has gone down a little but everything is still tight and tender. Hoping by Monday my left quad starts to work!

Ouch that is some bruising :flabber: strange how some people bruise and others not, fortunately I never had any but have seen photos on BS of many tht had.. :ice:will help with the bruising too, were you given any ointment?
Hoping today will be better for you and Happy Holidays for tomorrow xx :flwrysmile:

I’m sure your quad wants to enjoy the holiday weekend off as well! Mine took weeks to come back, but it’s amazing how it goes from snooze to fully awake in a couple days... once it’s ready. Stubborn!!

Happy Saturday bonesmarties!

Well I don’t have any thing new to report at 10 days post op. My left quad is still pretty much dead. I can’t get it to move at all, thankful for my husband and kids who help me get my leg on and off the bed. Is this common at 10 days out? I can’t recall from my last one and reading my prior recovery thread I don’t see where I mentioned it. It is so frustrating. I have been icing and elevating as much as I can and using the stim machine to help wake up the leg.

Appetite is still hit or miss, and I sweat I am always thirsty! I guess that is about it, have a great rest of the weekend.

@SpaceGirl Hope you start making progress soon! Make sure you keep yourself hydrated. Your body's way of cleaning it self out. Might want to drink some more of that Gatorade. Hang in there!
Rick

sometimes nothing to report is a good thing! I find the early days to be no news or bad news, haha.

My quad took at least a couple weeks to wake up- maybe even 3? lazy legs!

To be honest not that good. I have been sleeping a lot, yesterday I did not get up til 5 pm. I am still in a lot of pain, cannot lift/lower left leg (can move slightly side to side but it is painful), thankful hubby is still home to help. My knee bend is near non existant right now (was 80 at hospital) but my knee is still swollen and hamstring and other tendons feel extremely tight which hurts and makes it difficult to move. I have been doing heel pumps, quad sets and heel slides (when I can tolerate the pain) and just walks to bathroom and some around the house.

I feel panicked that something has gone wrong and I will need to go back in and get something fixed. Plus they just suspended elective surgeries again at our hospitals due to rise in covid numbers. My thoughts are just not in a good place.

Thanks for checking

@SpaceGirl Sorry you are having issues!!! I am sure the sleep is good for you and what your body needs! As you have seen from my recovery thread. All I am doing is Icing, elevating and sleeping. I have been doing ankle pumps, just a few leg lifts.
Hope you start to feel better!!!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties