TKR Soft tissue pain ?

Blademan

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi folks, I've had two TKRs this year. The 1st (right knee) mid April (So approx 6 months) and the second at the end of July (approx 3 months). I'm really happy with the second (left knee). I found Bonesmart and started reading the advice and intetesting posts from members around the time of my 2nd TKR. I'm really happy with this one and i base that on not overdoing the excercises. I really worked hard on my 1st knee but at around 10 weeks post TKR I had a small accident where by my car door closed over on me as I was getting in the driver seat. I know follow the correct way to get in the car btw. It was just a gentle bump but the pain a few hours later ment I had to take more time off work. My doctor advised no damage to the implant but was soft tissue damage which in time would heal. That pain has died down a bit but still gives me a sharp reminder on certain movements. It was the outside of my right leg and from mid knee down a few inches.

I then went a few weeks later for 2nd TKR which as I mentioned has went really well to date in recovery. A few weeks ago I went a walk around town (something I had done with no issues before), but into my walk I felt a pain on the inside of my 1st/right knee.

I've tried resting, elevating icing etc but that nagging and jagging/sharp pain is frustrating me. I don't know if any physio therapists or surgeons are on Bone Smart but I could do with some advice here. This 1st knee has also had re-occuring issues with tight pain behind the knee and the quad muscle is also weaker in this knee.

Strange thing is that I'm right footed and always had more strength in this leg than my left ...not now at present. Perhaps more damage had or has been done to ligaments/tendons/muscles in this leg in the past or during my op...I'm not sure.

I'm now thinking about going to see my Doc again, or just booking a private consultation with a physio/sports therapist. Meantime I'm trying to rest it as much as I can but as I don't get paid for sick leave from work, I can't afford more time off work. That said, my job is not physically demanding and I can sit down for lengthy periods.

Sorry this is long and a bit of a story, I'm just sharing my experience and wondering if my thoughts about getting it checked with Doc/PT is best plan. From what little I know about knee anatomy it looks like it could be Collateral Ligament injury/damage (LCL ..door bump MCL during recent walk?) . Any advice welcomed...thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
@Blademan Welcome to BoneSmart! Before we advise you can you please give us the dates of both your surgeries and indicate left and right? Thanks!

Hi, thanks. 1st TKR for right knee was April 16th, second for left knee was July 22nd - approx 3 months later.

Hi folks, does anyone have any advice for me ?

I think you have it right; double check with your dr. and physio. It is almost certainly soft tissue damage only, new knees are very strong.

I'd certainly stick with a physio who works with TKR patients, rather than a sports therapist who may just try to make you work harder. Working better is what you need.
I agree it's likely to be soft tissue damage, aggravated by a modified walking style.
I think if you walk a different way, it will come right.

Good luck!

Blademan, be sure you are icing the area that hurts and taking something such as paracetamol if the pain you're having is bothering you.

These post-op soft tissue injuries can result in lingering pain longer than you think. With my second knee, my new puppy ran sideways into my leg and torqued my new knee in a way it wasn't ready to go yet. That hurt to some degree for several months!

Thanks all for the advice. I spoke to a friend who was a physio therapist at one point in his working life and I will book a docs appointment on Monday. I'm sure it's a case of time love and tenderness for both knees. I just didn't want to be taking the wrong approach. Thanks again everyone ..much appreciate this great place and the helpful folks on it !

Let us know what you find out.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Islandflyr