TKR Sky Blue's recovery - both TKRs

Sistersinhim is correct. The likely reason for the difference in space in your x-rays is a factor of the spacer size that was determined by your surgeon during your replacements. Part of the process is to manipulate your knee once the metal components are in place to determine which spacer size gives you the best performance. Many times there is even a representative from the implant company in the operating theater who also assists in selecting just the right components for you. Certainly bring this up to your surgeon if you want to know details (he'd probably be impressed that you ask such a detailed question!). But it shouldn't be a concern for you.

It looks to me like the spacer is a different size, but I am certainly no doctor. Josephine is away from the forum for a while recuperating. I will send these to others on the staff to see if they can read them.
THANK YOU. I put in a call to the doctor's office too, but frankly do not expect a reply from them anytime soon-- if at all if they deem it unnecessary!

So I look forward to anything you find out. I appreciate you very much!

Sistersinhim is correct. The likely reason for the difference in space in your x-rays is a factor of the spacer size that was determined by your surgeon during your replacements. Part of the process is to manipulate your knee once the metal components are in place to determine which spacer size gives you the best performance.
Thank you, @Jamie. Does the spacer show on the x-ray, or is it like cartilage which you can't see on an x-ray? The image reminds me of the "bone-on-bone" condition I had prior to the knee replacement!

Plastic spacers just show as a blank space on x-rays. I agree with you that your knee looks like there isn't much space there. It can also be the way the x-ray is taken. Next time you see your surgeon, he should take another set of x-rays so you can compare them and talk with him about what he found about your knee function when he was in there.

X-rays are designed to see problems with implant placement and loosening. They aren't a tool for spacer issues. The key here is how that knee is functioning and how it feels when you bend it....not the space you see on the x-ray. You have ligaments in your knee that factor into the equation of what size spacer to use. It's all about balancing things out so your knee works smoothly without being too "loose" when you bend it or stand and put weight on it.

Hello, everyone! It's been 2-1/2 YEARS since my knee replacements-- I can hardly believe it it's been that long! Within a few months of my last post, I had so much improvement that it hardly seemed "necessary" to check in here! What a great feeling.

I have what I consider amazing range of motion after all this time and am really happy. I've even been able to get ON my knees when absolutely necessary (usually to retrieve a dog toy from under the bed). For several months after the surgeries, I honestly thought I'd NEVER be where I am currently in my progress. Everything WAS great until a couple of weeks ago.

About 2 miles into my morning walk, the area below my knee cap--like an inch below the bottom edge-- started hurting. In the diagram, it's the orange area (F).

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I had been walking for months with no pain. My worst fear is that my osteoporosis is causing the tibial component to fail. Can anyone put my mind at ease?! Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 8.00.50 PM.png

I think the best thing for you to do is to contact your surgeon. We really can't offer any other suggestions.

Sistersinhim is correct. The only way you're going to know for sure if there is a problem is to have an x-ray of your knee. If you haven't had a fall or trauma to the knee and haven't changed your activity levels, but have pain that lasts more than a day or two, you probably should get it checked.

If this just happened today, I'd rest your knee for a couple of days and see what happens. If the pain bothers you, take something for it. You could ice if you wanted to.

Usually when a joint loosens, pain comes about more gradually than what you've described. But this does need to be checked out if you are worried and can't pinpoint something you've done that might be causing some soft tissue pain there.

You probably won't be able to get in to see your surgeon for a couple of weeks, so you could go ahead and make the appointment now, then cancel if things improve in a couple of days.

Try to be calm. Pains do happen in knees at times, even without an implant. And osteoporosis doesn't always result in an implant loosening. I understand your concern and you'll feel better once you know what's going on.

It could be bursitis but that's just a guess based on the fact that I have some experience with that coming and going if I overdo certain activities. Your doctor would be able to tell you.

I have an appointment for x-rays and consultation with my surgeon's P.A. on July 6 about the pain I described. Because of COVID, I skipped out on my 1-year AND 2-year (!) x-rays and checkup, so I'm long overdue for a checkup. It's good, in a way, that I started experiencing some discomfort, if for no other reason, to have the progress on my TKR's evaluated.

Of course, after posting my question here, I started wearing a patellar strap on my walks, and the pain disappeared immediately, ha ha. Today I walked without the strap on, and I still had no pain. Those things are like magic!

Anyway, even though I'm pain-free, I realize it *MIGHT* be only temporary, so I'm definitely going ahead with my checkup next week.

Thank y'all for your tender loving care to all of us who've needed you so badly! I'm still utterly grateful for the help y'all were to me, now over two years ago!

Best wishes and God bless y'all!

Boy, this BoneSmart forum doesn't miss a beat... TODAY is my birthday, and I just noticed that beneath my photo it gives my current age, and it's right on the money.

Unfortunately.

:rotfl:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm glad you can share some of your day with us! I pray you have a wonderful one and many, many more.

Happy Birthday! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom