Silly question I’m sure

CorpHippie

Country
United States United States
I got my nails done today and just thought about when I had knee surgery 15 years ago. They told me no nail polish on my fingers or toes. Is this still accurate?

Mine too. I had my gels taken off a few weeks ago. Now have clear nail hardener.
My previously scheduled surgery was cancelled a month ago because I had a tiny mosquito bite. The first question they asked me pre op was about nail polish. So was glad I had taken them off and there is no way I can cope with another cancellation due to my own fault.

@rosieNZ thank you for the response! I’d be beside myself if this was delayed due to me wanting pretty nails!

Thank you Lindylee!

My pre op told me no nail polish or anything. They gave me a special wash. That I am supposed to use the night before and morning of.

It seems old fashioned to ban nail polish. They need to use an oxygen monitor on your finger plus nurses like to make sure the blood supply to your feet is working well post op. There are other ways obviously but its their clinical decision and we must comply if requested
I'm addicted to pretty nails love gels but need my surgery so much so now my nails are naked.... almost....have clear nail hardener on!(monitors can see through this). Maybe its time I had treatment for my nail addiction?

It was never mentioned anywhere or any time prior to my surgery. I think the days of looking at nail beds to see how it’s going are over. But I may be wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the days of looking at nail beds to see how it’s going are over.
Nope - the no nail polish is still the norm. They need to be able to quickly assess you.

Oh no!!! Okay. I will acquiesce but I won’t be happy about it! I am just like you @rosieNZ - total mani/pedi addict! I keep thinking about my toes not having polish on them! And I got the most perfect ombré powder dip done on my fingernails. Oh well. It will be something to motivate me! Keep moving get stronger and get back to Thia so he can make my nails look fabulous again!

It was not an issue for my surgeon or hospital. The pulse oximeter {clamped on my finger} was on till the middle of the night of surgery. As a retired nurse, I remember checking fingernails but that's been years ago. Maybe it's more of an infection issue if you wear polish.
My surgeon/hospital were strict about other things though. Hibclens for the 5 nights before surgery along with the morning of surgery. Also had to have clean sheets on my bed the night before surgery. If they had told me not to wear nail polish though, I certainly would have complied.

What about polish on toe nails? My Dr or pre-op nurse didn't mention anything about polish just said no jewelry and use the Hibclens wash for a week

Oh no!!! Okay. I will acquiesce but I won’t be happy about it!
It is for your own protection, so please don't be upset about it.

Even though pulse oximeters are in use, once your surgery is over, you won't be wearing one all the time.
Checking the colour of your nail beds and pinching your finger gently, to see how quickly blood returns, is a very good way for staff to swiftly assess your condition. I have done that many times.

Dear fellow addicted
Just have to say I bought some paint on colour for when I'm discharged but can't go to the nail studio!!! Meanwhile the nail hardener looks quite nice.

Just think of how putting some color on your nails once you're home will perk you up! :)

Yes! I'm telling myself I'm not a true nail addict because I'm not planning to swing by the nail studio on my way home from hospital! Happy days

My fingernails are bare, but my toes done most of the time. I (and my husband) has to Hibiclens shower AND change our bedsheets for 5 nights prior to surgery.

And your husband? And change linen daily for five days?

Having to change your sheets for 5 days before surgery really is overkill. And it's faintly insulting. It seems to imply that the surgical team think that either you or you house and bed linens are dirty - and I'm sure that's not the case.
I've never before heard of someone's partner/husband having to also use the hibiclens shower gel, either.

I think that as long as you are coming home from hospital to clean sheets that's enough.

I had to do the clean sheets the night before plus the wipes and the wipes before surgery this am plus the icky nasal iodine.

No one said anything about coming home to clean sheets

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
horselvr
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom