Guest viewing is limited

Shower Suction Grab Bar Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 I think some of this shower info will have to do with how stable you are or will be feeling just before or after surgery with your non op leg, balance, etc. My pre op requirements included very thorough showers with an anti microbe special soap they gave me to use all over, under feet and everywhere for 3 days prior to surgery.
My bad hip was so painful those last few days that I used the walker inside the shower to lean on a bit for washing with this special soap stuff. Did not get the suctions or grab bars due to so many bad reviews. After surgery I had a fair amount of dizziness even in the timeframe when I could shower. The commode idea would have been the safest....but I did fie again with the frame walker w/ tennis balls in our large walk in shower. Had it sort of proped against the wall. Still using it just incase I have a dizzy spell 10 days out.
If your other hip is very sore, and unstable, or if you are on a fair amount of post op meds I would not go with just the suction grab bar , and if your other hip is weak or unstable it may be best for you to use the comode idea.
Just sharing my experience so far......all good this weekend and startig to wind off all meds......except tylenal..and
amazed at how such and evasive procedure can be so painfree n just 10 days!!
 
@geneva
My non-op leg is going to be a real issue. Not only are both femurs collapsing, but both have hips have torn labrum a (which is quite painful in and of itself). So, I'm anticipating a somewhat difficult recovery.

As far as the wash goes, I'm glad you brought it up as my directions just say use 3 times. I'm unclear if it's the 3 nights before surgery or is it 2 nights and the morning of surgery? Were you directed to change your sheets the last two nights (there is no mention of changing the sheets in my instructions)?

I've decided to use the adjustable shower chair and my walker for showering, as the label tear has caused both hips to be quite unstable. I'm concerned about the dizziness issue, as I've always had low blood pressure and I've read that many on hear developed it after their surgery.

It's just plain wonderful to hear how well you're doing 10 days out! Such a wonderful blessing!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! It's quite comforting to read how well others do post-op!
 
@Cynthia777 FYI,I was told to do the wash two nights before surgery, then the night before surgery, sleep in clean linens, and use the spec. soap the morning prior to surgery, on my hair as well. Then clean sheets again upon returning home. The sanitation precautions at the hospital I was at was pretty astounding..
You are going to feel so much better after I think, as I also had a partially collapsed femur, and that pain was horrendous ....Double that as you have and waiting .......wow.....your almost there!!!!!
They will not let you home from the hospital until you are stable enough in many regards. Balance, bladder function, walking, pain, etc. ( I was a bit dizzy due to l. red blood labs and hemo crit count, and I guess my reaction to the meds as well. ) I stayed an extra night and full afternoon the next day from what most people my age do. Hope your Dr recommends you for the same given your other hip issue.
.......you'll get helpfully looked after ; and if you have ear plugs, sleep mask you will get that extra day and night or two of care.
 
When I had to do the special cleansing it was just the night before and the morning of surgery. I also was instructed to have clean sheets AND covers on the bed, as well as night clothes (of course). When I went to the pre op seminar, we were also told NOT to use the cleansing soap on our face, hair or genitals. They said wash these areas first, your normal way, and then use the cleansin soap on the rest of your body. They also gave us a special wash cloth to use, with it. They said don't use a cotton washcloth or scrubby. Wish I could remember the reason why.....but, alas, my memory has disappointed me again....sorry.
 
Thanks @geneva and @Nana757!

This surgeon is supposedly very talented (they say he has "gifted hands"), but boy is he lackadaisical! There's been no mention of sheet changing and his scheduler said it was fine for me to get my hair done the day before because they don't require a patient to wash their hair! WHOA! SCARY! :shocked:
 
Well, that kinda makes sense, since the head is gonna be wrapped in one of those lovely little surgery caps. But, for me, knowing it was gonna be days before I was able to wash my hair, I washed it the morning of. Fortunately, my hair was long enough to French braid it and it stayed that way until I was able to get a good head scrubbing from one of the aides at the rehab facility...which was about a week later......UGHHHH!!!! Hope you don't need to go that long between hair washings.
 
@Nana757
I never get oily hair and in fact was told by a couple of hairdressers to only shampoo my hair once a week. I guess I have hardly any (if any) oil glands in my head. Lol! Didn't think about the fact that I'll have one of those ugly surgery caps on...pretty! Ugh! :heehee:
 
You mentioned you had showers... do you also have a tub? I shopped before my THR for a handle or something to grab if I did lose my balance. The medical supply house I went to told me to not even think about the ones with suction cups. That they won't hold your body weight if you had to quickly grab it. I wondered, "why do they even sell these things?" My mom was older and I had permanent handles installed three places in her shower, I also came through the ceiling and dropped in a very bright light because once you pull your shower curtain shut, it can get a bit dark. For some reason, I prefer to take a bath. I wasn't allowed to immerse in water for 6 weeks and so bought a shower chair with a back. I put a towel on the shower floor, bought a shower head that is removeable and has a 6' cable. The most important thing is that I bought a bath tub grip. It's a rather large white plastic device that screws on and tightens on the edge of your tub. I held on to it as I climbed in, as well as climbing out. It was fairly expensive ( what isn't ) but now that I can bathe, it's even better for pulling myself up and I'll probably leave it there as the shower curtain hides it. For showering, I think you have gotten good advice, and especially if it's something recommended by an OT. I believe fear is your worst enemy, I know it is for me. Seems the more you are afraid of losing your balance, the more likely you will. Don't know why this happens with me. I also have dizzy spells upon standing up too fast or raising my head up to look or reach into high cabinets. That also makes me fearful. I think you have good advice and I hope everything goes well.
 
I bought a pair of the grab bars with suction cups at Lowe's. I put down a rubber bath mat, a plastic shower chair, and installed the bars. My shower is in the tub. I placed my walker right next to the tub, so I could use it to help me get out. In my case, the suction bars worked well. I didn't put much weight on them. I just liked having them there. But, I have to admit, after a couple of months they did come off. I put them back, and I still like having them. They can't handle much pressure. Mine are on tiles. I also have a hand held shower head. That was really helpful, too.

I've heard good things from people who put their walker in the shower or tub. I found it helpful to have two walkers. It's great that you're getting so prepared!

I wasn't told to use any special soap before my surgery. The hospital nurse who I spoke with the night before said to shower the day of the surgery. She didn't say to wash my hair, but I washed it the night before my surgery date. My hair still got oily after the operation. In my case, I think it was fear and the meds. Also, I had kind of a hot flash the second night. (I don't usually get them.) I washed my hair again when I got home.
 
@luvinlex
Yes, I do have a bathtub! Unless I need to wash my hair, I'm a bathtub kind of girl. Great idea having the handle on the bathtub, thanks! Post-op I'll be anxiously awaiting my clearance for bathing in my glorious tub. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom