THR SelfHelp's recovery Thread

Happy Five Weeks!
It sounds like you're doing really well. It is easy to be overly concerned pre-op as the prospect of a major surgery is anxiety producing because we never really know how things will go. Most of us have shared similar concerns and fully understand. Thankfully you're healing well and making good progress. May it long continue.
Thanks for the update. Enjoy the weekend!
@SelfHelp

You're doing great for 5 weeks! It took me a lot longer to finally ditch the crutch. Sounds like things are progressing well. Fingers crossed for continued uneventful recovery! :thumb:

Had my 2nd post-op today with OS. Restrictions are removed and I am "Out of Jail"! OS challenged me to demonstrate flexibility and strength of the new hip, this is what I had straggled with at my 1st post-op since I had not kept up with the hip exercises and stretches. Since then I have been diligently doing them and I did a lot better this time. OS wants me to ease into regular activities, meaning slowly push the boundaries I had observed due to the restrictions. My wife and I felt such a feeling of relief to hear that the restrictions are lifted.
After the visit we went to a nice restaurant and enjoyed a nice lunch together. We had to celebrate our achievement. I owe my wife a BIG THANK YOU, she took such good care of me over this past 6 weeks. I jokingly tell my wife that she can not stop caring for me, I got so used to it.
This was our 1st meal outside our home over the pat 6 weeks. I need to find another occasion to spoil her.
Making progress with walking without a cane. I can walk all day now without use of cane. Even walk outside the house up and down our street. I do feel mild pain when I overdo the walking. But next morning all is well and the pain is gone. I have not taken pain meds for over 5 weeks of the 6 week recovery. Still have mild swelling and bruising around the incision. The tissue under the incision feels lumpy. PT showed us how to massage the area to loosen up the scar tissue. Overall very pleased with my recover, fortunate I did not have much pain, progress was quick and I am regaining my mobility. I am grateful to my wife, my surgeon and my wonderful friends on bonesmart.

Last edited:
Great report and well done @SelfHelp
I bet the reassuring nod from your OS and the lifted restrictions will certainly boost your confidence in that shiny new hip.
Life without hip pain is worth the recovery struggles, dont you think?
I do.:egypdance:
Onward and upward...

Wonderful news! I'll bet you enjoyed that lunch after your visit. Receiving a thumbs up from the OS goes a long way in making for a perfect day! :thumb: After a major surgery, confirmation that we're progressing as we should is music to our ears. Thanks for the great update. Enjoy the remainder of the week!
@SelfHelp

@SelfHelp great report from the OS, takes such a weight off when you get the all clear. You are doing fantastic! I'm still using the cane though I am doing some counter surfing here and there. Going to continue to take it slow and easy.

Great update @SelfHelp I agree that your wife needs another nice meal out! It's good you appreciate her help. It's a lot.. but having you show her appreciation most likely made her feel so proud!
You have had a very nice recovery. No pain meds after the first week? Not even tylenol? :wow:
I still enjoy a dose of it most days. Congrats on hitting the 6 week mark and all restrictions lifted!

Hi @SelfHelp
How have you been over the past three weeks? Progressing normally and enjoying life I'll bet.
Please leave us an update when you stop by the forum. We'd love to hear from you.
All the best until next time!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hopefully all is well. We'd love to hear from you when you have time.
All the best as you continue healing. :)
@SelfHelp

@Layla, thanks for reaching out. Yes, 2 month anniversary went by. Since I went back to work time flys by and I spend less time thinking about my hp. I take daily walks again, steadily increasing the distance. I notice at the end of my walks that its now the leg muscles that hurt and not the hip. I am still not comfortable sitting on low seats and couches, which is disappointing. One of my wishes was to get back into driving the Subaru, which has quite seating. But I don't think I'll be ready for it any time soon. The SUV will have to do for now :(.
But that is a small price to pay for no arthritic pain. I looking forward to resuming an exercise program, maybe in a few months. That would be a great achievement.

:wave: @SelfHelp
Lots off improvement yet to come.
4 months was my biggest turn about.

Keep the faith....:tada:

@SelfHelp I just want to thank you for being such an inspiration. Two months out and it sounds like you're feeling "normal" again, whatever that means to you. Undoubtedly, when arthritic pain goes, that is the absolute best outcome. Most of us would probably agree how constantly intrusive in our lives unrelenting pain is. To have it gone, an utter miracle. When I think how things were many, many years ago, before hip replacement, I am so very grateful. I can't imagine living 20, 30, or 40 years with that kind of grinding pain.

let us know of your progress. It inspires me to no end to think I won't be always thinking about my hip!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're still doing well.
Wishing you all the best and a beautiful Autumn. :SUNsmile:
@SelfHelp

Happy One Year Anniversary!
If you received a notification and you’re reading this, we’d love to hear from you and read how life is treating you one year post op.
All the best to you...enjoy the summer!
@SelfHelp

I have been watching this "blood blister" growing over the past week. It's on top of my left hip implant, see attached pics. You can see the scar of my Posterior approach. I have no pain, I am leaving it alone, I am worried about an infection. Should I worry about it? Do I need to see my GP or possibly my hip surgeon? Welcoming any opinions and advice.

Attachments

• SelfHelp's recovery Thread
    PXL_20230109_182459425.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 47
  • SelfHelp's recovery Thread
    PXL_20230109_182816057.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 32
Hello, your best bet would be to call your OS's office or your PCP's office and ask if you can forward the photos for their opinion. It will be worth the peace of mind for you.
Wishing you the best.
@SelfHelp

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom