• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] SelfHelp's recovery Thread

SelfHelp

Country
United States United States
Hi @Mojo333 , thanks, I am now in my room, the pre surgery prep, epidural with sedation was a breeze, next I remember is the recovery room, recovery was very fast, next I was rolled back to my room, stood up but my blood pressure dropped very low, almost passed out, that was very tiring, after an hour of sleep now I feel better. Had some bleeding from the incision, bandage was chaned. Since my surgery was after 1pm doctor decided to keep me in hospital over night. Pian level is 2 to 3, thanks to the medication.

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:Very happy that you are now on your way to REALLY getting better..:thumb:
Just roll with these first days and when you feel up to it...start a recovery thread...if you would like we can help with that.
:tada:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@SelfHelp welcome to the other side, sounds like things are going good so far. Remember to ice, elevate and relax!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Congrats on your new hip? It's good to see your post and hear you're doing well.
How about you leave a name for your recovery thread below and we'll get one started for you on the Recovery side where we can leave you Recovery Guidelines along with support and encouragment you as you move forward. You earned your way outta here, so let's move it :heehee: You'll love it over on the bright side! :SUNsmile:
@SelfHelp

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Welcome to recovery @SelfHelp.
I've moved some posts and started your recovery thread for you.

Here is your Recovery reading:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@SelfHelp I'm doing ok, knock wood! Afraid to jinx it. Getting around better as the day goes by, slow and steady. Having to remind myself to take it slow as I've caught myself jumping ahead. Sounds like you're doing well keep up the good work!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
@SelfHelp :wave:
Celle was kind enough to move you to the healing side and leave you your very own recovery guidelines.
Sending you healing vibes and remember...this is a journey that leads to healthy and happy.:tada:

Ptarmigan

senior
Country
Oh my goodness, @SelfHelp ! I’ve been following your progress every step of the way and really identify with your thoughtful and thorough approach. I couldn’t be more pleased that your surgery went so smoothly! Well done, indeed! Wishing you a well-deserved rest as you begin your recovery.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Friday!
Just stopping by to say :hi: and see how you're doing. Hopefully your pain is well managed and you're
getting some restorative rest. Don't forget your new bestie too > :ice:
Wishing you comfort as you begin the journey.
@SelfHelp

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Me too!!:ok:
What Layla said....:friends:

OP
OP
SelfHelp

SelfHelp

Country
Sorry @Mojo333 @Layla @Elf1 @julesglass , I have been absent for few days. Wanted to take time to post.

Arrived at hospital early, surgery was scheduled for 12. Around 12:30PM Anesthesiologist came over to start the epidural with sedation. I am not sure I even felt the initial numbing injection, could not tell when epidural went in. I am so glad I chose the epidural, no pain involved, and I could not even see the needle being inserted. It was a breeze.

Next was rolled into the OR room, transferred to the OR table and positioned on my side. Anesthesiologist kept testing if I had sensation in my left leg. I remember trying to move a leg, found they would not move. That was my last memory. Next, I remember hearing voices in the recovery room. I knew the surgery was done, but I felt no pain and could clearly follow the conversations around me. Turns out surgery took almost 2 hours.

After 3 hours of resting in my room PT wanted me to get up, but my blood pressure was too low, and I almost passed out. They gave me an IV and I slept for an hour. Noticed that I was bleeding from the incision, had to change the bandage 3 times before bleeding stopped. The low blood pressure and bleeding were reasons they decided to keep me overnight.

Next morning OS came by and handed me the 3 pins he removed from my femur. He said it took 1 hour to get them out. First, they had to find the fitting screw driver then found that the pins were firmly bonded to the bone over the 20 years they had been in there, these type of old pins have a matte coating that bonds with the bones, were difficult to remove. OS says newer pins have shiny coating that do not bond to bone and are easier to remove. Notice that the pins are hollow, different length and threaded only at the end.

OS also sent me picture of my femur head, notice the top area without cartilage that was bone on bone with bone worn off. OS said my Femur stem was un-cemented and cup anchored by 1 screw. I am waiting for X-Ray image, will post later.

Attachments

Last edited:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, thanks for the update. The photos are interesting.
I hope your pain is well managed, you're resting comfortably and able to get some good sleep overnight.
What a relief to have it all behind you, I'll bet. Now onto healing and brighter days! :yes!: :happydance:
A great Sunday to you!
@SelfHelp

julesglass

graduate
Country
Good to hear from you @SelfHelp. I stayed over night due to extreme pain. No morphine drip and low dose of oxycodone. They finally increased the oxycodone and injected morphine into iv. Home now, doing okay with some pain. Lay back and rest now..

OP
OP
SelfHelp

SelfHelp

Country
@Layla the OS thought since I am an engineer I would be interested in the technical details surrounding the pins and my femur head, which I appreciate. They were surprised I chose epidural with heavy sedation, because engineers want to stay awake and witness the surgery.Agree that I am curious to learn about the procedure, I think maybe I'll do that with my 2nd hip.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Stay awake?! :yikes: :scaredycat: :scare:
Would you really consider staying awake next time? What a brave, brave soul.
I couldn't even get through a video....and it was animation, lol.
Hope you're having a relaxing Sunday! :)
@SelfHelp

OP
OP
SelfHelp

SelfHelp

Country
This is my 3rd day home, surprised how little pain I have from hip or incision. Do pain meds from surgery last this long, 3 days post surgery? Is the pain still coming? Only pain I feel is a sharp pain from femur when I put wait on it when start walking, it goes away after few steps, no pain when I stand and have half my weight on operated leg.
Swelling and bruising around incision is starting.
PT is coming by tomorrow, 4th day home. I get total of 3 PT sessions. Maybe PT can explain what causes the pain?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Desertsky
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom