TKR Second TKR, struggling<

Looks like it might be March before I see my baby girl then :boohoo: I had to go to a funeral yesterday, hired a wheelchair because of the extra damage from the fall and need to elevate almost all the time. The leg is very unhappy today, like a huge sausage all the way from thigh to toes. I am wondering about a Lounge Doctor. I had never heard of them before this forum. It sounds great but does it mean you have to lie down all the time when you are using it? I would go insane with boredom! At least in the recliner I can read and use my laptop.
 
I was only able to use my elevating wedge in bed. However, I was only in bed when I wanted to sleep, so I slept with my leg elevated all the time.

When I was awake, I was on the couch with my feet on my ottoman, which was almost as high as the couch. It’s where I always sat before surgery, so I was used to the position and my operated leg was very comfortable there.
 
I put the Lounge Doctor on the feet part of my recliner and elevated the whole time I was sitting. Then I had another one my bed. Being alone, I didn't want the hassle of carrying one back and forth. For the first month or so I'd sleep a while in bed, then get up and sleep a while in the recliner, then back to bed, then back to the recliner. I'm sure you know what I mean!
 
Thanks @sistersinhim. There seems to be a few different styles - which one did you use? I am assuming that I can actually get one here in Australia.
 
I am wondering about a Lounge Doctor.
They're nice but not essential. Have a look at this article which shows you a lot of different ways to elevate. Very few require you to be flat all the time. Elevation: the do's and dont's
It sounds great but does it mean you have to lie down all the time when you are using it?
Not at all! In fact, it would be very counter-productive to lay down too much. I never did.
 
I think a lot has to do with your height and the kind you would want. Josephine's link explains a lot.
 
Like @sistersinhim I use mine while I sit up in the recliner and also while sitting up on the couch. In fact I probably use it more sitting up than lying down.
 
Thanks. I am also wondering about when I have recovered from the fall and am able to start walking a reasonable distance again. Where I live it is hilly, the ground is rough and there are no footpaths. I would have to walk actually on the edge of the road and I am scared of falling again because road surface isn't exactly smooth either. It looks like I will have to just go from the front door of the house through to the back many times. Maybe my husband can drive me up to the local shopping centre and I can walk around there with rests on the benches :shrug:
 
I think walking in a mall or shopping center is a good idea. You could increase your walking around in your house, also. Slow and easy is the way to go, though! It is so easy to overdo.
 
A store with shopping carts is very nice. The cart makes the best walker!
 
Yes, they were lifesavers before the surgery. I would grab one of the small light ones as soon as I got there and trundle all over the shopping centre.
 
I have a confession to make - I committed the:bignono: and let my PT cause me a lot of pain. As you know, I fell and gave myself a huge contusion 2 weeks ago. I have been very careful with RICE, but when the PT visited yesterday my drug fuddled brain didn't stop him massaging the contusion for ages even though the pain level was through the roof. I have read all the advice on how to say no to PTs but I find it very difficult to confront people, especially when I don't know them well.

I can't believe now that I let him do it and also that he would continue to do it when it was obviously hurting so much. Of course the pain and swelling are awful today and I am worried that maybe even more damage has been done to the soft tissue.

Unfortunately my OS is away until late next week and the only GP I trust is not working until Friday. I have decided to cancel any further visits from the PT. He has been great until now, very gentle and not pushy, but I am not letting anyone near that injury again unless I am convinced they know what they are doing.

It has certainly taught me that the Bonesmart way is the best way!
 
It amazes me how PTs can be fine for a while and then suddenly they betray our trust. Been there! And he was massaging! Something that is good, until he took it too far.

I’m sorry you’re hurting. :console2:
 
I am so sorry, too @Harli B . Did he happen to explain why he felt the need to do massage on what is clearly an injured area? I swear I can’t wrap my head around their thought processes. :what:
Hope plenty of ice and elevation will help.
 
Thanks Jockette and Mom2Lucy. I did some Googling afterwards and apparently there is some belief that massaging a contusion breaks up the pooled blood and stops it hardening into a permanent lump where it could calcify.
 
Oh man, what an awful experience with that PT. I'm sorry you are suffering because of his ignorance. Please don't let anyone touch you leg again unless they understand that when you say stop that you mean for them to stop! If they don't that's assault. Tell them so!
 
apparently there is some belief that massaging a contusion breaks up the pooled blood and stops it hardening into a permanent lump where it could calcify.
"Some" belief? It's a total nonsense in my mind!
 
Yes, my GP was unimpressed and has suggested Hirudoid cream to be rubbed GENTLY into the contusion.

I have cancelled the physio and am just going to be patient until I get the all clear from my OS to start hydrotherapy.

We live quite near the Gold Coast in Queensland and in 2 weeks we are going to stay for 3 nights in an ocean front unit which has a very supportive recliner lounge. The Iceman will be joining us! I won't be able to walk on the beach but at least I will be able to look at it and hear the surf. My husband has just been made redundant (Merry Christmas) so we can use a break from all the stress and my lovely helpful daughter will be our gopher.
 
in 2 weeks we are going to stay for 3 nights in an ocean front unit which has a very supportive recliner lounge. The Iceman will be joining us!
That sounds so peaceful! It's a good idea to take your iceman. Mine went with me the first couple of camping trips I took. It felt like heaven after a short hike!
 
I am very confused about medication. Because I had a a bad fall on my TKR leg 2 weeks after surgery I have expected my recovery to be slower but now I am 8 weeks out and don't seem to be improving. My pain levels are still high but my OS wants me off oxycodone and down to half the dose of Targin I have been taking, supplemented by Tylenol (with added codeine if the pain is really bad). Most of the health professionals I have seen seem obsessed with getting you off opioids but if you are in a lot of pain what is the alternative? I was taking Tramadol early on but found it gave me bouncing off the walls insomnia. Anyone have any advice? My normal GP is away until February and I don't really know any of the other doctors at the practice.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom