Guest viewing is limited

THR SanDiegoHippy is on the other side now.

are many uncemented prostheses in need of a screw?
Read what Alex said - it's just the design of the cup that requires a screw, nothing else.
Are most THRs now uncemented?
Actually according to NJR statistic, there are a lot more cemented hips done than uncemented.
Would be surprising with the large number of these procedures they do that they wouldn’t improve some things.
Interestingly, the best and most reliable devices are those that have never been 'improved' and are being used in their original design since 30-35 years back!
 
I have seen the ones that have a porous surface and assumed that was for bone growth to adhere to but many also have the screw holes. Is there any danger that the screw might hit a nerve or irritate a tendon?
 
No, that's not something that ever happens. These implants are very carefully designed. My implant has two screws, BTW. I'll be eight years post-op in March and I've never had a problem with it.

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Agree Josephine- no name for them to change what works. Was thinking more in terms of approaches, smaller cuts, hospitalizations etc.
 
Hips replaced same time...one, two screws ...one no screws:shrug:
Sorry @SanDiegoHippy . Guess we kind of derailed your thread.
Hope your night is peaceful!
 
First of all, a big thank you to the BoneSmart forum. I have had both my hips replaced now, (as of November 2017). The people and online articles here helped me immensely.

I wanted to give my update. I had L-THR done in June 2013. It still bothers me most days (pain), but I've learned that hamstring stretches help a lot to reduce the pain.
I had R-THR last year in Nov. 2017. It was done by the same surgeon and it feels much better than the left THR has ever felt. It's been almost 9 months since my R-THR and it is "almost but not quite" feeling like a normal happy hip. But I can't say that about the Left one which was done in 2013.

I was fortunate to get physical therapy sessions for both hips after the 2017 THR, which I didn't get after the left THR. At that time I had to pay a $55 copay per PT visit so I could only afford to go a few times.

I also wanted to mention that, in the U.S. at least, my doctors wanted to see me: 1 month after surgery, 6 months after surgery, 1 year after surgery, and then not until 5 years after surgery and only every 5 years after that. I presume that is a cost cutting measure.

I hope all my BoneSmart friends are doing well.

GD
 
:wave:
Thanks for the update.
I also wanted to mention that, in the U.S. at least, my doctors wanted to see me: 1 month after surgery, 6 months after surgery, 1 year after surgery, and then not until 5 years after surgery and only every 5 years after that. I presume that is a cost cutting measure.
Same here!

Got any idea what's up with left hip?
Maybe you should call for appointment?
Glad last one is close to happy!
 
Thanks for the update and kind words in regard to BoneSmart.
It's so nice to hear from you, thanks for stopping by.
Sorry you're still struggling with your left hip somewhat.
What reason does your OS give for your left bothering you most days?
Wishing you the best as you move forward!
@SanDiegoHippy
 
Update for Dec. 19, 2018.
Happy Holidays to you all.
I had my 1 year followup recently for R-THR , and while I was there had my L-THR X-rayed as well (which was done in 2013). Good news, both hip replacements looked great. I'm now on the on the 5 year plan for future checkups.
The newer hip (the right one) feels great while I'm up and active and only occasionally bothers me during sleeping. The left hip still bothers me pretty often, but it is tolerable. And, as I mentioned in earlier posts, hamstring stretches help a lot.
I hope all you BoneSmart folks are doing fine.

GD
 
@SanDiegoHippy Good to see you here. Thanks for the update! Sounds like you are doing great. I too continue to do the hamstring stretches. Great if you must sit for any length of time.

Thanks for checking in!
 
Happy Holidays to you!
Great news you're on the 5 yr plan now.

I'm assuming you went over what is "bothering" you in regard to each Hip with your surgeon...
Especially the Left (2013) because you mentioned it bothers you pretty often.
Wondering what his / her response was?

A great day to you!
@SanDiegoHippy
 
Happy holidays double hippy pal.
:reindeerlights:
Hope the new year brings more improvement.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom