TKR Samantha’s Right TKR

would you recommend the aircast cryo? Was thinking of getting one for after my hip surgery
I really liked it. I was given one by my hospital.
It is one of the cheaper machines and fairly basic- but I found it very effective.
If I filled the bucket with ice - it stayed cool for hours. The jacket around the knee stayed cold for the length of a 20-30 minute session and I could then refresh it if needed.
I don't know how well the hip sleeve fits but certainly the knee version was good for me.

Week 8 starts today— afternoon naps are my friend-less swelling in foot. New weird pains but figure they are part of this process Of healing. afternoon walk around the drive way has helped -we have iris a tulips blooming . Lets me know life still progresses in the little moments .

New weird pains but figure they are part of this process Of healing
Exactly! I'm 4 months out and still have occasional pop-up pain in strange places. It's a reminder that our bodies are adapting to their new improved alignment.

Slow and steady, @Samantha!

I am coming down with the cold my grand kids had. What meds can you take to help ?
My bend is at 100 degree by my self-pt wants it 120 this next week before I see the dr on the 29th . I am doing good with the slow process. I am on the meddle of week 8- swelling has gone down a lot .It is mostly in my knee-my ankle seems to swell when I over do it.
i am not looking to do marathons or hike miles or such . It will be nice to do life with boring times of spending time with grand kids going to the park or camping with out limited mobility .

Last edited:
What meds can you take to help ?
You should check with your doctor because it will depend upon the other medications you are taking. For example, if you are using Tylenol for pain relief, be very careful with any cold products that contain acetaminophen. You need to keep total dose below 4000 mg/day.

My bend is at 100 degree by my self-pt wants it 120 this next week before I see the dr on the 29th .
It’s really not a good idea to have a number goal for a certain date. We all recover differently and can’t control that. You will get there, when your body is ready. Also, different activities on different days can increase or decrease swelling, which can make that number vary. A ROM number is only one way to “measure” this recovery, many other milestones mean we’re recovering well, no matter what the number is. Your current ROM number is fine, don’t let anyone tell you it’s not.

Well today started week 9. I love readying others stories because it helps me know I am not alone . I wish my first few weeks I had listened to this message of not letting pt work so had . This week I just had pt today and did not push to pain . My knee did not swell so much and it did not take me out for the day . They had been less push for pain but still focused on their numbers.
Week 8 is where I have seen the most change. Less swelling - go up and down stairs foot over foot,get up from chair with out pushing leg out , getting up from toilet with out the raised seat, less pain,better out look with the progress. I even went to the grocery store by my self.
I am trying not to over do it and my knee and fatigue let me know.

Less swelling - go up and down stairs foot over foot,get up from chair with out pushing leg out , getting up from toilet with out the raised seat, less pain,better out look with the progress. I even went to the grocery store by my self.
You are doing really well for two months post-op! Celebrate all those milestones.

Glad to read that you aren't allowing the therapist to push you into pain. Makes such a difference in the swelling, doesn't it?

:flwrysmile:

Yay for progress and an improved outlook, Samantha! :yay:
Hopefully you had a nice weekend and have a great week to come.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
@Samantha

Well dr visit yesterday went well. 105 rom - dr said good and keep working on it and will see me in a yr to check the hip and knee. I see pt next week - I have 4 more visits. Knee is doing better - still swelling when on it to much. It is hard to believe it is already been 2 months . Thanks to all for the support and help .

I had my RT TKR done on Feb 28th as well. It sounds like you are experiencing the same things I am. My Dr released me on the 19th of this month and said to check-in in a year. I have 2 more PT appts. I am still experiencing the 2 hr sleep thing, hoping it gets better each week. We are heading out camping this weekend looking forward to some short walks. I have found the taking Tylenol every 6 hrs has helped with the achiness of my leg. I use lidocaine cream on the back of my knee, calf and thigh when they decide to be over sensitive.

Last edited:
@Samantha :wowspring: You've hit some FABULOUS milestones!!!!

Catching up on your thread, I was all ready to reassure you my ortho never measured or asked about my range of motion - only what could DO. And then I read your note about your ortho visit!

I have no idea what my range of motion is in degrees. It's functional!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member