TKR ROM #'s by week - examples please?

I'm one of those who never took formal PT. Due to birth defects, I've had 12 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals, and 1 TKR. Even after those, I never took formal PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing, I used my knee as it was intended to be used by walking around to take care of my daily needs along with the necessary house and yard work. As I healed, I was able to do more. Icing and elevation were a huge part of my recovery.

Listen to your knee. It will tell you if you're doing too much by increasing pain and swelling. When that happened to me, I found that resting, icing, and elevating helped. Your knee knows how to rehab itself without being told what to do. Doing too much too soon causes setbacks because your knee has to heal from the inflammation caused by the exercises before it can get back to its normal, after-surgery healing.

I am 2wks past TKR and feeling very confused about ROM info. I hear some folks talk about a window of opportunity that 'closes', scaring me about losing ROM availability forever, but then others talking about it continuing to improve with work over the first year or two. I have seen one post on this site where someone listed their numbers from week 1 to week 26. I'm curious if others tracked their numbers and might be willing to list what they got to by each week#.

I have struggled to get to the 90 they wanted in week 1 and 2, but am trying.

Week 1 - 60
Beginning of Week 2 - 80
Later in Week 2 - 82

I'm not too worried as I am progressing, but I would love to see what others have gotten if they kept track and by when. I know every body is different and every set of ROM #'s will be different, but I find the examples really helpful if folks are willing to share.
Hi. I will be 6 weeks tomorrow. I was about 90 at my first pt visit at about four days. But at 4 weeks I was still only 95. The swelling would not let it go further even though it looked like my swelling had gone down a lot. I have a pt who
Is
Pretty strict. But he has always said my knee was bending fine. At 5 weeks it was 105 and 110 on Tuesday. They said I was doing great. I actually asked them to measure bc I was curious. They were just seeing how far it would bend and going by that. They aren’t that big on measuring. I would definitely not be to worried at this point. The more I overdid it the less it would bend. Even so now at 6 weeks. Good luck. Shawn

@Sdfoxy1 thanks so much for sharing your weeks and numbers. I do see that things can plateau at times but then continue to improve later. That's a helpful reminder that a plateau doesn't indicate the end of improvement. I find the same that even though the external swelling has lessened, I can still feel the pressure of swelling in the knee.

Thanks so much for sharing. ♡

Bit by bit....

Wk 2.1 - 60/4
Wk 2.2 - 80/1
Wk 3.1 - 82/0
Wk 3 2 - 84

Getting stronger everyday and so glad to see my quad firing more reliably. Looking forward to getting a comfortable 90 so sitting in chairs is easier.

Bit by bit....

Wk 2.1 - 60/4
Wk 2.2 - 80/1
Wk 3.1 - 82/0
Wk 3 2 - 84

Getting stronger everyday and so glad to see my quad firing more reliably. Looking forward to getting a comfortable 90 so sitting in chairs is easier.
That’s a large improvement in that time frame. I understand about sitting wirh legs down. I could not stand that I couldn’t bend my knee up like the other when sitting with legs extended. It’s still tight sore and stiff when I do it. But I can pull it up now and leave it for a little while. Still feels like Velcro pulling apart inside. Especially after therapy yesterday with rising the bicycle. I can finally get a full rotation and over did it. lol. Good luck :upright:

Looking forward to getting a comfortable 90 so sitting in chairs is easier.
Oh yes...I really struggled sitting in chairs until 5 or 6 weeks or so. Between my knee and my leg just being sore it was uncomfortable. I just slowly got better at all sorts of PT exercises that were impossible earlier. Seems like my quads got stronger or "more activated" or something. Even now I have gotten more stable when walking as I was very unstable still at week 6 - I'm around 8.5 weeks now and tomorrow is 2 months since surgery.

@Sdfoxy1 congrats on getting the rotation and bummer that that overdid it...2 steps forward, 1 back. Thanks for sharing. For real, an intense journey.

@selketine congrats on the 2 month mark!! Thanks for sharing. I saw someone at PT who is 6 weeks out and couldn't help myself...I said, "look at you sitting in a chair all normal with all that bend!!" She laughed and assured me it will come. Cars are the worst right now but gets a tiny bit better as time goes on....

@selketine congrats on the 2 month mark!! Thanks for sharing. I saw someone at PT who is 6 weeks out and couldn't help myself...I said, "look at you sitting in a chair all normal with all that bend!!" She laughed and assured me it will come. Cars are the worst right now but gets a tiny bit better as time goes on....
When I’m at PT I’m always asking how far along are you. I can’t help it. I like to see how much better I might be in a few weeks. I think it’s just natural. I’m 6 weeks and can sit normal in a chair. But it doesn’t always feel good lol

How are you doing overall in terms of pain, walking, and activities of daily life?

Wk 2 D7 - 60/4
Wk 2 D10 - 80/1
Wk 3 D14 - 82/0
Wk 3 D17 - 84
Wk 4 D22 - 92
Wk 4 D25 - 95
Hi again. I am at week seven now and basically had to stop PT. I felt after every session I was getting a little bit worse. Like goinf backwards. By the time I would get in good shape again it was time to go back so it was
Like I wasn’t progressing. My overall daily pain was worse. I cancelled my last one and hadn’t scheduled any this week. I see my ortho this week and will talk to them about it. I would love to be able to walk upstairs normally. But I can practice that at home. Wouls be nice to have those bars though lol. I will keep up on your progress. Shawn

Last edited:
Slowly but surely you'll get there. :yes:
Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope it's a picture perfect day for you and you feel pleased with your progress so far. Brighter days ahead!
@Eehamm

Those numbers are excellent for only a month out!

I to am still a little confused as to why PT’s and surgeons emphasize ROM and needing to get to a certain level before ‘the door closes’.
I had a TKR on my right knee just over 7 months ago and a TKR on my left knee almost 3 months ago.
I have been doing my physio exercises fairly diligently and using my stationary bike when I could. I’ve also been pushing my ROM within my pain threshold thinking that it’s probably good to go a little beyond what’s comfortable without a grimace on my face
I have been keeping track of my progress and feel I’m doing well.

right knee. Surgery-Aug. 11, 2023
Aug. 24 -60 °. (2 weeks)
Sep. 25 - 95 °. (6 weeks)
Oct. 5 -110 ° (7 weeks)
Oct. 16 -110 ° (9 weeks)
Nov. 9 - 112 °. (12 weeks)
Nov. 30 -118 °. (15 weeks)
Jan. 8 - 130. ° (5 months)
Sept 26 - I could cycle all the way around on my stationary bike (6 weeks)

left knee, surgery - Dec. 27, 2023
Jan. 8 - 65 ° (2 weeks)
Jan.18 - 75 ° (3 weeks)
Jan. 31 - 90 ° (4 weeks)
Feb. 13 - 100° (6 weeks)
Feb. 27 -108° (exactly 8 weeks)
Mar. 12 - 113° (10 weeks)
Feb 16 - I could cycle all the way around on my stationary bike (7 weeks)

How are you doing overall in terms of pain, walking, and activities of daily life?
@mendogal

Thanks for asking. ♡ Pain gets better and better every day. Now, at 5 weeks, mostly just annoys me at night... discomfort more than pain. Walking further each week as well. Been walking without a cane in my home for a while, but still use it outside so folks give me a bit of space. And because when my quad gets tired, my knee will give at times. Went to PT today without the cane. Yay!!

Last edited:
I to am still a little confused as to why PT’s and surgeons emphasize ROM and needing to get to a certain level before ‘the door closes’.
I had a TKR on my right knee just over 7 months ago and a TKR on my left knee almost 3 months ago.
I have been doing my physio exercises fairly diligently and using my stationary bike when I could. I’ve also been pushing my ROM within my pain threshold thinking that it’s probably good to go a little beyond what’s comfortable without a grimace on my face
I have been keeping track of my progress and feel I’m doing well.

right knee. Surgery-Aug. 11, 2023
Aug. 24 -60 °. (2 weeks)
Sep. 25 - 95 °. (6 weeks)
Oct. 5 -110 ° (7 weeks)
Oct. 16 -110 ° (9 weeks)
Nov. 9 - 112 °. (12 weeks)
Nov. 30 -118 °. (15 weeks)
Jan. 8 - 130. ° (5 months)
Sept 26 - I could cycle all the way around on my stationary bike (6 weeks)

left knee, surgery - Dec. 27, 2023
Jan. 8 - 65 ° (2 weeks)
Jan.18 - 75 ° (3 weeks)
Jan. 31 - 90 ° (4 weeks)
Feb. 13 - 100° (6 weeks)
Feb. 27 -108° (exactly 8 weeks)
Mar. 12 - 113° (10 weeks)
Feb 16 - I could cycle all the way around on my stationary bike (7 weeks)
@Ravendancer THANKS for posting your numbers. Well done on all that work and rehab.

I think they focus on numbers here in the states as they need to justify for insurance and such. Also, sounds like some still believe in a ROM window. I like my PT guy as he says he's not worried unless he feels a hard stop indicating scar tissue or something else. But he says everyone is different and ROM usually comes with time. Although we still focus on ROM #'s a lot and he has to track that progress for things other than my well being... the system imposes one size fits all sometimes. I'm glad I got a good PT that balances it all well.

Got 105 today!! Wahooooo!
I gently push, stretch, and work this every day, but do not push into or past pain. Also work the ice and elevation religiously to get swelling down. Able to do more and more with every bit of ROM that comes. Feeling proud and excited about the progress.

Wk 2 D7 - 60/4
Wk 2 D10 - 80/1
Wk 3 D14 - 82/0
Wk 3 D17 - 84
Wk 4 D22 - 92
Wk 4 D25 - 95
Wk 5 D29 - 96
Wk 5 D32 - 95
Wk 6 D36 - 105

Last edited:
You're doing great :egypdance:
Mindful walking with a good gait, slowly increasing (either by time or by distance) as tolerated a little bit every few days is one of the best things for our new knees as well as better breathing, more integrated structure, and (for me anyhow) a better outlook on life.
Yep, use the cane as long as you feel the benefit. There's no expiration date printed on it!

Last edited:
You should be excited by your progress -- you are doing really well for just six weeks post-op, @Eehamm!

do not push into or past pain. Also work the ice and elevation religiously to get swelling down.
You've found the magic formula! Slow and steady wins this race.

:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JWS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom