Revision TKR Revision knee surgery - post op 7 months<

@ Josephine Thank you for your positive thoughts. My OS told me that surgery was a sucess, but that I'm not satisfied???.
Like he was offended that I still had sensation of stiffness/pain.
I know PT had told me my extension was 0°,but now it is about +4. I think lately the 5 minutes on the stationary bike is irritating my knee, so I'm not doing it. I'm leaving next Wed to go back East for grand nephew's wedding so I need to take it easy before plane ride.
 
Hey @Calgirl
Thought I'd pop on over and say Hi to you. Sorry about the tag error.
I noticed in your last post that you meant to tag, Josephine. Please know she hasn't ignored you, but didn't receive the tag since you accidentally left a space between the @ and the J, first letter of her name. Also, she is temporarily away from the forum to soon undergo her own revision. I hope you enjoyed your trip to your nephews wedding and are doing better these days.
Best Wishes for a lovely Labor Day weekend! :wave:
 
@Layla, Thanks for your reply. I know that Josephine will soon have revision surgery and I wish all the best in her recovery. I had revision rt knee surgery over 13 months ago and I'm still have Nerve pain, which I'm still taking Gabapentin. Neuropathy has also been diagnosed by Pain Management physicians.
I wonder if there others on BoneSmart that have neuropathy as a result of TKR? If there are others,please tell me other than medication, what have they done. I have done acupuncture, meditate and yoga which helps but pain persists. Thank you.
 
Hi again,
I'm sorry you're struggling with Neuropathy. I wish I had some advice, but sadly I don't.
I'm tagging @Jamie to see if she can advise. Hopefully others dealing with the same stop by to offer support
or ideas. Wishing you comfort and relief.
@Calgirl
 
Neuropathy can be a bit difficult to resolve and it can be a problem after a knee replacement. If the Gabapentin is working for you, there would be no problem continuing with it. Does it help?

You indicate that acupuncture, yoga and meditation are not improving things. They sometimes help with post op issues, but usually not so much with nerve pain. However, it's good to give all options a try to see what works and what doesn't.

You may be experiencing some problems because of your other knee that is bone on bone. Having a knee that is not functioning properly and possibly out of alignment can stress your good knee. I know you have said you're not interested in having your second knee replaced, but it might be worth a discussion with your surgeon just to see if this could be contributing to your problem with your right knee.

It can take quite a while for that feeling of stiffness to dissipate, though. We've had some BoneSmarties go for a couple of years before they feel things start to normalize. There are so many factors that can enter into the equation, it's almost impossible to pinpoint a single issue that can cause continuing pain and stiffness.

You mentioned that at one point you wondered if you had an allergy to the metal in your implant. While I doubt that's the case, it's possible to rule that out if you're willing to spend around $500 for the definitive test. There is only one lab in the country that does it and you must order the test kit and get the lab work done through your GP. If you're interested in that, here is the website:

https://www.orthopedicanalysis.com/testing/order-testing-panel

You want the Orthopedic Panel 2 test kit.

Another suggestion for you since you report that your legs tire easily when you are exercising is to talk with a vascular specialist about the possibility of having an ultrasound study done of your lower extremities. It normally would depend on whether you had other health issues (cardiac problems, high cholesterol or diabetes) whether this could be a problem.

I've thrown out a lot of ideas here for you just because I felt you wanted to know some possible options to check out. They are just that....ideas. It is possible that you just need to give your knee more time to normalize.
 
@ Layla, thanks for your concerns and appreciate that you tagged Jaime for some advice.
@ Jamie, thanks for your advice. Yes, Gabapentin helps but I still have pain with 1200 mg, 600 in a.m. and 600 in p.m. I have tried midday dose but if I forget to take it, the pain is so bad, I just take it twice a day. I've been on 1200 mg for 2 years and have tried to titrate down ,which I did recently at reducing 100mg a week and the pain was so severe that I know that I need it. I love chair yoga and it helps when I go weekly.Also I meditate every morning and during that time my pain is gone. When I go for acupuncture, the pain dissipates but the next day returns. I go for a monthly massage which a!so helps but pain returns. So I can't say it doesn't completely help and won't give up with them.
My other knee that is bone on bone is no longer bothering me since I wear QUELL, which is a wearable TENS like band wore around the calf. I've been wearing it since last October 24/7 except when it needs to be charged.
Interesting that you suggest talking with a vascular specialist about the possibility of having an ultrasound study done on my lower extremeties and I will look into that. I really appreciate the time you have taken to give me some ideas to check out.
Perhaps others with prolonged pain after their TKR/REVISION will share their experiences.
Thank you
 
Another suggestion for you since you report that your legs tire easily when you are exercising is to talk with a vascular specialist about the possibility of having an ultrasound study done of your lower extremities. It normally would depend on whether you had other health issues (cardiac problems, high cholesterol or diabetes) whether this could be a problem.

I agree with Jamie but be aware that they need to order the right test. I saw my cardiologist (routine) and ask him to check out my varicose veins. He ordered a Lower extremity doppler ultrasound. Wrong test! When I got there, it was a 30 min test that checks for DVT's and edema. That was a waste of my time and money!!! The tech said the varicose vein test takes 2 hrs./and hour on each leg. I told my cardiologist's office I still would like to have that done before the end of the year but ONLY when I have 2 hrs to kill!

The test that was done showed no DVT's but edema around the outside of my knee where I feel the swelling and pressure/uncomfortableness. I still think there may be an issue with my patella button but the OS says no! (The PA said yes/maybe).

@Jamie, would and MRI or a CT scan give more info on a loose patella button? If it was loose, is it as major to repair a loose patella button?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom