THR Review after 1 year - is it necessary?

Day 7.
Pain is well controlled and i have stopped the nefopam. Yesterday i went for a car ride to get dog food. It was lovely to get out and chat to people at the shop. I also managed 2 short walks up the road and back I think i did around 1000 steps in total. My movements are much easier and getting out or into bed is not difficult at all. I do think my blood pressure is still a bit low as i did break into a sweat and feel a little nauseous when i got back. When they tested my iron levels at the hospital they said it was 8.9 which is also low so maybe a bit anaemic too although they were not concerned. Both of these may contribute to the weakness i feel along with the anaesthetic. I am still mainly in bed as that is where i am most comfortable. My husband is taking a picture of my backside every day to record any changes and although top of leg is a bit swollen the bruise isnt bad in fact i can hardly see it and swelling doesn’t extend past my thigh which is great. I am able to wear my denim shorts which makes me feel human. I can also manage with one crutch to get to the bathroom so that means i dont have to holler to poor hubs to get me a drink although he is stll getting me ice packs in the middle of the night. So very grateful to him and his care has been second to none.

A question for you knowledgeable folk. I have had posterior and my scar is horizontal accross my hip. I always thought the cut was vertical?

Loved reading your last post, @Fiona444, that your pain is "well controlled"! That is a huge improvement and will absolutely allow you to be a bit more active and help with healing. Pain can really restrict healing, I think, in addition to just being awful to experience. I hope things continue to move ahead for you--hang in there!

Hi @Barbaraj i am so delighted with your news! Honestly it will be a blessing for you to get this done early. Get the first 4 days out of the way and you will be flying :loveshwr:. I never thought i would be this comfortable so early and i am careful to take things easy so today just one short walk and lots of sleep and ice.

@Fiona444 sounds like you're coming along wonderfully! So happy! :loveshwr:

Have to agree, much easier getting in and out of bed, rambling to the bathroom with walker, able to get comfy on couch, mostly laying with head propped up. Sitting for more than a little while gets uncomfortable, think it's that golf/tennis ball type thing

Here's to our next week and the healing that comes with it! :wowspring:

I had a posterior approach on my left hip and my scar is vertical. Sounds like you are doing great otherwise, already getting out and cutting back on some of the meds. Have a peaceful night.

@Elf1 yes I am constantly fidgeting too. I don't really have the golf ball in my bum feeling though just the need to move if I stay still too long. Sitting upright for too long is probably the least comfortable position. Yes let's have another wonderful successful week :friends:

@leejaa thanks for popping by and letting me know about your scar. I was beginning to think it was just me! I hope your pain isn’t too bad either while you are waiting for your op

@Fiona444 I'm pleased to see how well you are doing now! Hopefully it's a smoother ride from now on. :thumb:
I too had the posterior approach and my scar is vertical , so not sure what's going on there. But the important thing is that you are healing well! :) :-) (:

@linette333 it is strange but i am quite happy with my incision and it is not painful at all :yes!:

I had a slightly more uncomfortable night where i kept waking through discomfort. I took my painkillers and applied ice and it settled. I guess that is due to moving around a bit more?

I am stll taking co codamol 4 times a day to stay ahead of the pain and icing for all the time i am in bed. Hopefully today i will get a couple of walks in. My husband is planning to go back to work on Wednesday and i am a little nervous of that but it will probably be good to have a bit more independence.

How long does log leg last?

:hi:
My log leg (strangely but happily just one of mine after first few days) persisted steadily for first three weeks...it actually walked well, but didn't seem to want to listen when I needed it to lift up to get in car, or move over in bed.
It steadily came back to compliance...
All temporary @Fiona444
Sending healing hugs...you are doing just fine.:tada:

Not feeling "thrilled" with an earlier surgery, @Fiona444, but resigned and know that if my experience this time mirrors that from last year's hip replacement surgery and recovery, I will do just fine. I chuckled a bit reading your posts as it's almost as if things are going so well you are waiting for the other shoe to drop! But taking things slow and steady will mean, I believe, that overall you're going to have a smooth and uneventful recovery. It's early days yet, and there will undoubtedly be a few blips along the way--but onwards, and a full recovery shortly!

Good morning @Fiona444. You are doing great! So happy for you, less pain and under control, ice around the clock nice. Keep it up hippie sister!:happyfeet:

Morning @Fiona444 you sound well, so happy. Had an uncomfortable night last night as well and think you may be right about moving around more. My body is just wanting to stretch and roll over on it's side, really have to tread carefully.

@Barbaraj I think you are right about the being cautious, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Sure is how I'm feeling! :snork:

Morning all! Seems the nights are more uncomfortable than the days which I expect as we have said is down to movements during the day. Thats ok though and easily managed with painkillers and ice packs.

Yesterday I went for a walk and could walk much farther than the previous 2 days. I had no nausea, lightheadedness or raised heart rate. I am assuming my blood pressure is coming up again and the anaesthetic is leaving the building. I managed 1400 steps easily and mostly with no crutch although i was carrying it.

My husband was with me and we walked slowly. I was absolutely delighted as I could have carried on. It really goes to show that the more I move the better I feel although up until yesterday I really didn’t feel like moving much. Still taking co-codamol x 4 per day. I look forward to reducing this hopefully in the next few days

I managed 1400 steps easily and mostly with no crutch
Wow wow wow! After your rough start you are zooming @Fiona444 !! I'm amazed you are able to do this not 10 days out! I'm still reliant in one crutch at 7 weeks, but as everyone here says, we are all different. But well done on all your achievements. :thumb: here's to many more. By the way, I had posterior and my scar is mostly vertical but sort of C shaped. Maybe ask one of advisors if you had some sort of 'lateral'? Don't know. Have a good week!

Morning @Calgal ! Oh i am still reliant on them but i can walk around a fair bit without. For example this morning i could have a stand up wash at the sink (previously sitting down) and could get in the shower to do my feet. Could even lift good leg up so i wash the sole. I am being very careful and my hip tells me when i have reached my limit. I feel so much more independent and only had to ask hubby to put cream on lower op leg.

From what I understand most posterior are vertical with a sort of crescent shape at the top. A bit like a walkin stick. I will be interested to ask when i see him at my 6 week check up.

Oh and the best thing of all is i can wear normal knickers. No need for big comfies that I thought i would need :heehee:

I hope you have a wonderful week too !

You are rocking this recovery, so happy for you!

Go today for a visit with the OS nurse to see what's what. Will be first trip and first time outside since surgery last Monday. Been way too hot here to go wandering outside. Keep up the great work but don't overdo!

What a wonderful update!!:flwrysmile: @Fiona444 you are making a great comeback and I know that has to be such a relief to you! I love how you refer to your underpants as knickers :heehee: and glad you are wearing your normal pair.

Onward and upward!! :walking:

Oh, yes, so nice to read a positive, hopeful report, @Fiona444, particularly after a rough start. I am betting it will get better every day or so, perhaps infinitesimally, but definitely forward locomotion. And isn't that feeling of more independence lovely? It's all baby steps at this point, but hope you relish them and feel positive going forward. Rock on!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dkhip1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom