Revision TKR Removal of Adhesions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe OS should tell pts hat they can ski but stay away from yoga ; )
My OS also told me not to do any poses which torqued my knee, and he also told me that I should back off of yoga as well....

Go figure

Judy--I just reread my post and cracked up. No, I was not drunk---just on drugs. I meant to say that I had written a long post on that little iPad keyboard and then pushed the wrong button and lost it!! Now, I am on the wireless keyboard for my iPad. Sorry, that was gibberish. K

jancat, I think that yoga is okay. I have to make other adjustments because of my knees--this will just be one more. I do yoga a lot and love the relaxation effect.k

Last night was a difficult one for me. I had a lot of pain and could not completely get my pain under control. I was taking oxycontin, 10 mg twice a day and ocycodone 10 mg. every three hours. I also took a celebrex in the am. I kept waking up about an hour and a half after I took the pain meds---I had about a level 4 pain--enough to catch my attention. Also, I had a lot of trouble puttig my weight on my knee--which has never been a problem for me before. I am using crutches and I had many fairly painful trips to the bathroom.

I called my OS at 9 am to say that i was having trouble controlling my pain. The nurse called me later to tell me that my doc thought I should take Ativan and that since my knee felt stiff he would send over a cpm. He told me hat i was taking the maximum amount of pain meds--they could not add anything to what I was taking.

The nurse told me that I should take off the ted hose--maybe it was too tight. Also, that I should take an aspirin every day.

All I could think of was the number of health forms I have filled out for this office. Often I am told that "there is a new computer system" and I have to list my illnesses, meds and surgeries again and again. I also listed them at the hospital for every surgery.

Did anyone ever notice that I have asthma---I do take two asthma drugs every day--and that aspirin is counterindicated for asthma? Or how about the sentence that I have written at least four times at my doc's office that I have had memory loss as a result of taking benzodiazepans---and that I go into an altered state with them. I have taken one valium in my life and it took two days to go away. I had versed once pre surgery and had memory loss for three days.

So why is it that those two came up with two drugs that I cannot take? I am giving up on this---it is crazy.

I had a fever if 101 last night and that made me feel worse, I am sure. I am feeling better now.

I am taking the oxycontin 10 mg once in the am and once in the pm, two oxycodone (5mg) every three hours and once more oxycodone about two hours aftter the first two. This has seemed to help with the pain. I have a great internist and I should have called her this am.

We all feel good in the hospital but I do think the first night home is a struggle. Especially for my poor husband who got up multiple times to get me water, ice and to help with the b room trips!!! Kelly

Crazy, crazy, Kelly. Makes you wonder why we bother to keep notes - nobody seems to read them any more!

yes i stayed in the hospital monday night. i came home about 1 pm on tuesday. the pain picked up about 9 pm. i feel better slready so i think i will do better tomorrow. kelly

Skigirl I tell ya’, the description about your pre and post surgical experience at this hospital is priceless. By the time I made it past the massage and purple booties and on to reading about the harpist I was thinking I should change my OS and hospital just to have it at yours.

Glad that you are feeling better after such a painful night and do hope that you continue to improve.

natalie, you will be in mt thoughts and prayers. kel

1elisea, that painful night was not the hospital's problems---I had gone home on tuesay at 1 pm. I would never have had that kind of pain if I had stayed in the hospital.

the rest of the story in my case, is my OS, who is a good surgeon but not such a good communicator. I am still worried about the thicker poly liner that he put in my knee. When I asked him what rom he got in surgery, he smugly replied 130---when I yelled, WHAT? HE backed off right away--oh, you were draped, etc. I had a rom of 148 prior to the growth of scar tissue. At the tim of surgery it was 142!! He is making me crazy. I try not to see him, make appts with his pa or NP. Kelly

You go girl! Sounds like he is no match for you, thank goodness, because you speak up for yourself. For someone else 130 ROM would be a dream and he understands that.

But you are not everyone. Seriously, you are an athlete with athletic expectations and he shouldn’t give flippant responses. Patients are in a vulnerable state in the days following surgery and he needs to go through a day with restricted ROM so he can appreciate the concern he caused with such an off hand remark.

I’m not saying he has to be super nice, but he shouldn’t be smug and get his jollies at the expense of his patients, that is unacceptable behavior whether or not he is a good surgeon.

I have faith that you will be back to living up to your expectations soon. Here’s wishing you a good’s night’s sleep!

Yes, !ELISEA. I HAD A GREAT night last night and now I just have to recover. I am down to one oxycodone every three hours and already feel my brain clearing up. It is always the choice--pain or brain activity!! My leg now flexes easeily to 90, but it does not feel "right" somehow--it feels too tight.

I will have to see what happens next and I am glad that I had that painful bike ride to remind me that I did think that I needed to do something there.

I cannot get it out of my mind that the new spacer is too big---I am going to have to work on that for a little while. It is so much easier to think positive thoughts and usually I am ready to go after a surgery. This one does not feel right.\But enough complaining, I am going to work in my studio today for the first time, that is a definite up. Kelly

Hopefully, Kelly, the tightness you are feeling is just coming from swelling--even if the knee doesn't look particularly swollen, there is probably some internal swelling so soon after surgery. If that's all it is, it should resovle itself in a few weeks.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

It is so hot here I cannot believe it. It is already 70 degrees and it is only April. I walked outside--400 yards or so, it felt wonderful to be outside, but my garden looks like a disgrace~

Oh Kelly - just what you did NOT want to hear, eh? But only time will tell.

Like everyone has suggested, give your knee some time.

Even though your lysis of adhesions and poly exchange is not as invasive as your original surgery, there is still going to be plenty of soft tissue swelling that will interfere with your early motion.

Good luck.

Orthodoc

Today is Wednesday, therefore I am three days out from surgery. I am in such a blur of pain reducers and pain that I am loosing track of where I am.

today, I painted for about an hour in my studio--which felt wonderful and tonight I am sitting in front of a desk top computer with a proper key board--so progress has been made.

Today I searched the house for any Hydrocodene or Tramadol since I need to stop taking the oxyicodnone since it is too strong. Of cours, I could find nothing--where is that stuff when you want it. I am sure it is stuffed into a first aid sack somewhere on my bike or in my backpack. I did cut the 5's in half, so that will help.

Mostly I am feeling antsy--my knee feels very stiff--and my muscles are stiff from me lying in bed for days on end. I got up and walked outside a little again as that seems to be so relaxing.

I was complaining about how my doc did not call to see how I was feeling when I looked at my husband and we both broke out laughing!!! I laughed for about five minutes and it felt wonderful. Life is silly isn't it---just about the time we start feeling all self righteous we know that the best side of US is not on display.'

I am back for another studio hour, that should help to relax my stiff muscles. It is hard to lie in bed!! Everything feels lumpy to me now. I am already sick of reading and I have had to count my stitches six times and am still not sure they are right!! Old age is hard, let's face it. Kelly

And Kelly--I hate to tell you this---but today is Thursday! Somewhere in your pain med haze you've lost a day. Hopefully is wasn't a very good one and lost is a good thing.

Take care---be good to yourself and your knee. Keep us posted. We care.

And Kelly--I hate to tell you this---but today is Thursday! Somewhere in your pain med haze you've lost a day.

:th_heehee: That was some pill party, Kelly!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• CricketHip
    Staff member since June 5, 2019
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017