PKR Red/warm skin round wound

Devlin

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi - I had a partial right knee replacement 6 weeks ago, was home next day and have been doing really well. Yesterday after going for a short walk, the skin round my wound, and underneath it, went red and hot. It’s been the same most of today and I’m getting worried! Is this normal? Thanks for any advice

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us. I’m sorry you’re feeling anxious.

I am wondering if your incision was completely healed as of yesterday with no gaps, holes or drainage? If so, consider doing a bit of research to see if you can send an image of your incision to your consultant or surgeon’s office so they can evaluate and advise, hopefully giving you the reassurance you’re seeking. If you have a contact for after hours or weekends, I’d suggest you give them a call in the morning since I realize you’re in the UK and it’s late evening currently. I will encourage you to take a photo if you haven’t already so you can monitor whether it‘s changed in color or size in the morning. If it’s painful, you may want to try some icing to relieve the pain.

If you will share your surgery date and which knee was replaced we’ll create a signature for you. I’ll also leave our Recovery Guidelines since you’re only six weeks post op. Please try not to worry, but do get it checked to be safe and for your peace of mind. Keep us posted, we’re here if you need us.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi - I had a partial right knee replacement 6 weeks ago, was home next day and have been doing really well. Yesterday after going for a short walk, the skin round my wound, and underneath it, went red and hot. It’s been the same most of today and I’m getting worried! Is this normal? Thanks for any advice
Hi @Devlin , your experience sounds normal to me, judging from having experienced same several times over. In fact, even though my new knee is now 110 days old, the area around it remains warmer to the touch than my left knee ... although it no longer turns red. In my case, the warmth doesn't come with pain ... hopefully that's also true for you.

All the best on your recovery/rehab!

Hi Layla, thanks for your reply. My surgery was 14 February and was a partial right knee replacement. I have no holes, gaps or drainage on the wound. I’m just wondering why the redness came on so suddenly but will try and speak to someone tomorrow about it

This is probably normal as @glidefloss it was the same for me and even now 5 months on my left knee is most likely to be warmer and redder than my right knee after excercise. Best to speak to your PT though to settle your mind - when I asked mine about the bruising/redness he said it was normal and could go on for a few months.

Hi - 5 months on from having my right medial PKR I’ve been doing well. About 3 weeks ago I started getting pain in same place I used to before surgery. It doesn’t happen when I walk but sometimes when standing after sitting or bending down. Is this to be expected or do I need to worry?! Thanks for any advice

Hi Devlin,

not sure if this will comfort you or not. I had my right knee PKR on June 8th 2022, a bit less than 4 weeks. my pain is down by 70-80%, and from the way it is healing, I feel that I should be pain free in a couple of month or so (hopefully). From day one I have been gently working on that knee., following the prescribed PT, and adding some at my home. the trick is not to overdo it. if you feel pain at this point maybe too much pressure on the knee, so whatever you do, and you feel pain, ice the area daily at least 4 times a day, stop doing whatever it is that brought that redness. let it rest, and maybe even use a cane to relief some weight and pressure, let it heal first before engaging in activities that might aggravate the knee. once the pain is totally gone start with very easy indoor bike aerobic no more than maybe 5-10 minutes no resistance, and work your way from there. No weight. Use the RICE technique.

I am no doctor, just an active guy with a lot of knee history, and experience. Overall best advice is to talk to your surgeon. Good luck.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom