• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Recumbent bike and pain

tc7231

Country
United States United States
I am 3 weeks out from RTKR (March26) surgery. I have an old recumbent bike and notice when I use it for 15-20 minutes that my pain goes away. I work thru any discomfort to reach the 15-20 minute time period. I try to do this 2-3 times a day. Is this a good idea and do others have drug free pain relief this way?

I am amazed you can ride a recumbent bike for 15-20 minutes, 2-3 times a day! That’s a lot for 3 weeks post op. If you find your pain increases, cut that back a bit. You are healing from a major surgery that caused a lot of trauma. :flwrysmile:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi,
I had my right TKR done on March 26, 2024. It's coming onto 6 weeks tomorrow and I still can't straighten my knee to 0 degrees (I am at 5 degrees). I am just taking Tylenol and ibuprofen when I go to the PT and when they extend my knee, it really hurts. My wife thinks that I should take the stronger pain meds before I go to PT. Is she right? I am afraid that I will get constipated. Also is it too late to go that route - I have always read that 6 weeks is the magic number before I can't straighten my knee any more.

The swelling in my knee hasn't gone time much (measurements are about the same as back in week 2). Should I be concerned at the lack of progress? I do floor exercises daily and I don't know if getting on and off the mat might be aggravating the swelling. Thank you.

@tc7231
I have always read that 6 weeks is the magic number before I can't straighten my knee any more.
You have been misinformed that 6 weeks is the magic number. 6 weeks is actually still early days in this recovery, which takes an average of a year.

Extension, (straightening) often takes longer than getting a better ROM, and actually, 5 degrees is very good, for 6 weeks post op. Your extension will improve as you continue to heal.

It's coming onto 6 weeks tomorrow and I still can't straighten my knee to 0 degrees (I am at 5 degrees). I am just taking Tylenol and ibuprofen when I go to the PT and when they extend my knee, it really hurts.
It is pretty normal for extension to take longer to come back in than flexion does. 5 degrees is actually really good at only 6 weeks out. Many of us don't have that until we 3-4 months out. Tell your PT to stop pushing on you, that is only keeping your knee inflamed and swollen. That will affect your extension, too, and keep it from getting straighter. Pain means NO!
My wife thinks that I should take the stronger pain meds before I go to PT. Is she right?
She is wrong. You need to feel that pain. That is the signal to stop what you are doing. You don't have a sport injury, you have a joint replacement, which is a very traumatic surgery that affects your whole leg. Rehabbing this is much different than other pt. You need to feel that pain, it tells you to stop what you are doing and wait a few weeks until you try it again. This is not a sprint recovery, it is a marathon!

I do floor exercises daily and I don't know if getting on and off the mat might be aggravating the swelling.
I know that I couldn't get up and down from the floor at 6 weeks so this could be aggravating the swelling. What exercises are you doing?
The swelling in my knee hasn't gone time much (measurements are about the same as back in week 2).

Swelling can take a while to go away. Instead of doing lots of exercises, spend more time icing, elevating and resting, so your knee can heal.

I am 3 weeks out from RTKR (March26) surgery. I have an old recumbent bike and notice when I use it for 15-20 minutes that my pain goes away. I work thru any discomfort to reach the 15-20 minute time period. I try to do this 2-3 times a day. Is this a good idea and do others have drug free pain relief this way?
I also felt more relief with doing more, and now that I'm 5&8 months out, it's even more true. When I stand up after sitting for a while, it takes a few steps and then I'm good to go! But you sound like you are doing better than I was at that point.
But I will also say I'd sometimes hit a point of overdoing. I learned to see the signs to stop me from going to far. Even today, I keep in mind what one of the ladies at church told me. "Don't go 15 minutes past stupid."
As for medication free pain relief, in addition to ice, elevate, and rest, I found acupuncture to be quite beneficial. I skeptically tried it and it made a big difference. I went every 1-1.5weejs for a year leading up to surgery.
Listen to your body and you will learn what you need to do.

"Don't go 15 minutes past stupid."

I LOVE this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties