THR Recovery Thread Surgery Feb 24, 2017

Well I am officially on "the other side"!!!! I had my THR anterior approach on Friday 2/24. Unfortunately the OS found my bones are pretty soft and I have some osteoporosis so I will have to be non weight bearing for 2 weeks. I can't fully assess my pain levels in the hip post op just yet because I have pretty much in the bed since surgery. They did get me up about 3 hours after surgery and I got to sit in a chair next to my bed, but it was short lived as I started to feel nauseous and dizzy, so back to the bed I went!
Later today will give me more direction as to how my hip/ knee/ leg are doing. The hospital staff is thinking about sending me to rehab due to the non weight bearing status but I would really love to go home. We shall see . I really need to be thinking of the long term effects that following doctors orders will give me and not be such a baby!
Here in the US, some hospitals have a "Hanna table" that a patient is positioned on for surgery. It truly is a contraption and I don't know how the wonderful staff here got me on it. It's like being on skis and believe me, I am not athletic ( or super graceful Lol!)
Thanks again for everyone's support and encouragement. This website has truly been a gift!
 
@CherylM !Hi and welcome:welome: to the other side! So sorry you're having to be no weight bearing and hopefully it won't be for long. You've cleared the first hurdle so now the only way is forward. You will feel wonderful and it's worth the wait. Just think of all the things you will be doing in the future - and pain free!!!! Keep us posted on how you're doing and always ask for help when you need it. Happy healing:flwrysmile:
 
Well I am at Day #5 now. All of you smart people at BoneSmart are right, icing helps SO MUCH! It is truly my best friend these days. Still have a lot of swelling on my left thigh. My energy is pretty low. I nap a lot. I am really trying to follow all the tips here and not do too much. One thing I have to say is Josephine is so right when she talks about the energy drain article. Pretty much all of my joints are sore and tender and I am always reminding myself, surgery is a huge trauma to the body. I pray each day gets a little easier and my strength builds up. Thanks for listening!
 
@CherylM each and every day will get easier. Your body is recovering from some major trauma. Add the fact that you are non-weight bearing makes things even more exhausting. Rest when you can - sleep = healing. You'll get there!
 
@CherylM. You will be great! I am now almost 5 weeks post op and am relishing in the recovery aches and pains that are SO doable and very different than the awful pre pain. Your post could have been mine and I know so many others here. A little funny story we can all appreciate. I heavily relied on this forum prior to my op. I got used to seeing "I can't wait to get to the other side". I guess I never really said it out loud, like to my husband. Well, as they were preparing to take me back for the op, I said to my husband rather teary eyed " see you on the other side" . He looked horrified and very quickly a nurse said " you will be just fine and we'll take good care of her" lol! I quickly explained what I meant. I'll never forget my poor husband's face.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, I am 10 weeks post op today ( May 5th, 2017). I wish I could say I am getting along great but walking is still very difficult for me and. My back quickly starts to ache and then I start waddling like a penguin! The front of my thigh feels so tight, like someone but a wooden board in the front of my thigh and forgot to take it out! Nothing is moving quite like it should!
I am going to see the OS on Monday, May 8th and hopefully he will take an X-ray and tell me everything is fine
(I hope...but not entirely convinced)! I just didn't think I'd have a limp at 10 weeks, although the first 3 weeks I was almost completely non weight bearing due to soft bone.
I was just hoping I'd be at a better place by now. When I try to walk, my gait is so off, my back starts to hurt almost immediately. If the OS gives the all clear, I am rushing over to the PT office to get these achy joints and muscles moving!
Has anyone else had high hopes at this point and they just weren't there yet? I am feeling like I am the only one not doing great and right now misery would like a little company! Thanks for listening!
 
Hi I'm not as far along as you are so I can't answer much but I'm here for you and praying
 
It will be eight weeks for me on Monday and I feel I just turned a corner this past week. It would seem you are really only at seven weeks, because for three weeks you couldn't do anything. So, have courage. I was discouraged too last week and came here for understanding and found it. I have been going to PT therapy twice a week, but truly feel it is just the normal healing process that is working, not just the PT exercises. I still get weird pains off and on. Groin pain (minimal now)'knee pain and front of leg pain below the knee, burning occasionally near my scar... Because of someone's comment, I did finally realize that I was not taking enough pain medication, I was letting the pain get ahead of me. Perhaps you are doing that too? I upped my Tylenol and Ibuprophen and used Josephine's schedule and found immediate relief. I continue to adjust my doses and am trying to be patient. Perhaps the tightness in your thigh is due to inflammation and the medicines and ice will help with that.

I find that I get the hoppy gait too, especially if I'm tired. When that happens, I try and relax into it, not letting my body tense up and focused on trying to walk properly, sometimes I can, sometimes I just have to lie down.

Remember too, those three weeks of inactivity probably set your body back and it will take some time to regain your strength and muscle memory.

Holding good thoughts for you, and all of us as we travel down this road. Keep us posted.
 
Hi @CherylM.
My recovery was very slow and hampered with back, knee and other issues. You will improve though at your own pace (or rather your bodies). At 10 wks and a bit later I also had all your issues and occasionally had to resort to the cane. Try to keep the pain under control and If you do go to PT please tell them to take it very slow.
Try to be patient and you will improve.
Joe.....
 
I agree with Ilzdor - you are really only 7 weeks out if you were non-weight bearing. Do go easy on that PT if you decide to take that direction. I would focus more on gait training than on exercise. Ice and elevate as well. A bit of Tylenol might help ease things as you get more mobile.
 
I had my surgery Feb 15th and was the same at 10 weeks. Needed the cane or waddled like a duck. Now at 13 weeks can walk without cane for short period without a limp. But I start to limp and get sore quickly. But I am progressing and so will you. It takes longer than we think.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sonar queen, I am holding on to what you posted. I am at week eight, and it seems to be improving more these days. The setbacks have thrown me, so reading the experiences of others gives me encouragement. I have one more PT appointment and then that's enough for me and I see my surgeon next week. Patience seems to be the name of the game!

Holding good thoughts for all of us.
 
Back
Top Bottom