TKR Recovering from my TKR

I am10 weeks out from TKR and was released from formal PT last week. I have a list of exercises to do each day at home. When I left PT I was 120 flexion and 9 extension. They were worried about the 9 and wanted me to continue with them, but I said no. Once a day they want me to do leg raises on my back and on my side, heel slides of course, pressing my knee down on a towel roll, hanging my legs off the end of the bed, and laying on my stomach with the loop of a strap around my foot and bending it up as much as I can. I have a set of pedals that I bought after reading about them on this forum. I use them to loosen up for 5 or 10 minutes before I do the exercises. I have swelling of my leg and foot that hardly ever goes away (previous injury). I ice and elevate before and after exercising and in the evening. My knee is stiff, but not really sore unless I overdo it. Some days my kneecap complains so I try to back off and rest more on those days I do generally have the "tight band feeling". I cook every day and do very little housework. I t try to go out once a week with friends for coffee or lunch and to church. Does this seem like too much? Not enough? I do not go for a walk, but I sometimes feel like I should be. TIA
 
I cook every day and do very little housework. I t try to go out once a week with friends for coffee or lunch and to church. Does this seem like too much?
These are ADLs ( Activities of Daily Living) that are very good for you. They give your knee mobility and help increase your ROM, strength, and endurance, all of which will continue to increase as you heal.
Once a day they want me to do
leg raises on my back and on my side,
heel slides of course,
pressing my knee down on a towel roll,
hanging my legs off the end of the bed,
and laying on my stomach with the loop of a strap around my foot and bending it up as much as I can.
This list of exercises can be too much for some, or even many of us, and I stopped them at 4 weeks post op, then I let my ADLs be my “ exercises.

I have a set of pedals that I bought after reading about them on this forum. I use them to loosen up for 5 or 10 minutes
If your knee is comfortable with this, then this is something very good to do, and 5-10 minutes is fine.

I do not go for a walk, but I sometimes feel like I should be.
You could take a walk if you want, walking is good (but not to excess) and walking can actually help improve extension, in a gentle, gradual way. But, if you don’t want to go outside, you could walk around your house. I’m not a “take a walk outside girl” but I do “house walk” and it’s all the same movement whether you’re inside or outside.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
@Jockette, thanks for reminding me why I joined Bonesmart! Sometimes I feel guilty when I skip the exercises and reading your comments helped me to remember that just living your life can be exercise enough! I do like the pedals and hope to be able to ride my real bike sometime in the future, so it feels like good practice for that. The days I don't do the exercises maybe I will try a walk especially if it helps extension. Or maybe start to gradually increase the time I pedal. My doc also cleared me to go in the pool. Before TKR water aerobics was my exercise of choice, but I am thinking maybe just walking in the pool some days? It is heated to 80 degrees. Any cautionary advice on that?
 
Just be careful in a pool while in recovery, it’s very easy to overdo in a pool. Try walking just a few minutes and wait a day or so and see how it feels. Just being in the pool and generally floating might make relax you, if you enjoy that.
 
Thanks @Jockette. I will plan to take it easy and go very slowly, just a few minutes at first and build up oh so gradually, making sure I am not overdoing it. I have been there (the o.d.i.c) and do not like it! :)
 
My PTs put me in a pool at 4 weeks post op, for a 50 minute session. :blackcloud:
It took me 3 days to recover, so I didn’t go back to the pool.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom