TKR Ready, Set, Go!

Hi, everyone. It's been awhile since I last posted. But I just decided to take this journey a little bit differently than I did my first because it was different.

As I posted in the past few posts the first month (not weeks was really hard) but I DID follow the bonesmart way and rested, iced and elevated with pain meds along to help with the recovery. I did not do PT. I did have a PT person come in for the first two weeks and we did walking with the walker, a few PT exercises but when she was not here I did not do anything except ADL's and walking.

I am now going on 8 weeks and I am not using a cane or walker any longer and feeling really okay. I still have hamstring pain on some mornings. I am taking gabapentin (which I took before the surgery) for some nerve pain in the foot (which is starting to get better) tylenol and some motrin only on occasions. I started using the cane after the walker but I realized I was leaving it some where all the time and spending time walking without it looking for the darn thing lol!

When I first started walking around and sitting on the couch with a cushion underneath I started getting my new knee prepped for bending so I would sit down and put a shopping bag on my foot and pull back to work on ROM. It really helped with it. My OS was really happy with my rom at my second visit (he was pretty happy with it at my first he said it was better on this knee than the first)

So things are going along okay. I find though that I get really tired after doing things during the day. So I am taking one errand at a time. I find if I do to much I pay for it the next day. I try not to get to the ODIC club ever.

I really hope anything of this helps anyone on there way to having surgery or anyone who is in recovery. By the way, I still have not gone to put and I am not going to go. The bonesmart way is the way to go!

Thank you bonesmart and all the people here for all the advice and support. Two different recoveries with two different knees but one way of doing it. And it was worth it.

Regards, Schpooko
 
Good luck, Schpooko!

My prayers are with you, and I am looking forward to reading all went well, and you are on the side of recovery.​


Sorry for the bold...it just showed up, and I can't get it turned off. We are all here for you, so when you are ready...talk away! But be good to yourself first.

Mamie
 
Hello Claire56!

Just think, in a few months you could be dancing! LOL. Best of luck with your surgery, and know we are all rooting for you. Prayers are with you also!

Mamie
 
MaryCool, greetings!

I see your surgery was only four months ago. How are you doing with recovery? I hope you are icing and elevating...plus resting, which you deserve after the trauma you endured.

Take Care!

Mamie
 
Well, Schpooko, I am really behind the eight ball. I misread the surgery date and had thought you were beginning the journey until I got towards the last post-reading. You are almost eight weeks. But if I see that date was a week ago. I have been struggling with my leg for almost 1-1/2 years, so excuse my oversight. You still have a haul to go, and my prayers are with you at day 2 or 9 weeks. Bone Smart is the best place for support, and we all deserve one another. I wish I could take the pain away from all those just at the start of their journeys or those still having problems. I see many people wearing t-shirts that state They survived this or that, but maybe all joint replacement patients need one of their own along with a badge of courage. You have done an amazing job while struggling to keep everyone informed. Keep your head high and kick the paint the curve. You must be saying to yourself, thank goodness I only have two legs!

I have had the only leg but twice...the first one and revision. As bad as the total knee replacement, the Revision was the worst imaginable. I pray you never have to travel that journey.

Stay safe and keep healing!

Mamie
 
Hey Teachfirst!

WOW, I don't think I have ever heard anyone enjoy hospital food but myself. There was only one time it was great. We were vacationing in the Cayman Islands in 2011 when I got critically ill. Imagine going to a hospital there...what a way to mess up a vacation. Having no choice, I decided to make the best of it and ask for a room with a view but, it was a private hospital where the cab and hotel reccommended!

Not only did I get great food, but the cook came in at night late and said she knew I had not eaten. She said I could order anything my heart desired. She prepared a first class hotel meal for my husband, and I and came back each meal offering anything on my mind. Too bad we do not have that service here. Here, I always have meals brought in if possible! You are amazing with a terrific attude so I inagine you did well with your legs. Thanks for your inspiring posts. My prayers now have you in them for your healing to always stay strong.

Mamie
 
I try not to get to the ODIC club ever.
I'm disappointed, I visit often. There's a fun bunch over there, hahaha - ijk. Stay strong, avoid the lure.
 
@Mamie our hospital food is actually pretty decent. It is handled by the hospital cafeteria and while it isn't gourmet, it is good.
 
That is always good to hear. Nothing is worse than lousy food when you are stuck where you do not want to be anyway! I hope you continue to heal.

Mamie
 
@Mamie our hospital food is actually pretty decent. It is handled by the hospital cafeteria and while it isn't gourmet, it is good.
Hi @Claire56 , Ive told the Mrs that the secret to a lot of my contentment has been my penchant for keeping my standards low. I loved the post-op meal I had - a burger (I was discharged same day).

Once a week the Mrs and her workout buddies go to another gym much further away from our regular one just so they can have lunch at a nearby hospital, where they serve near gourmet meals. She always brings me back a burger.
 
Hello, @Claire56, @gliderfloss, Teachfirst!,

Well, I see I should consider moving to your side of the country! I really can't say every meal is bad, but if it's hot, that is how I like it...not warm or cold. I suppose meals depend on whoever is in charge of the cafeteria kitchens. There was a hospital I was in a while in Cheyenne, and the food there was good enough to return whenever in the area. Thank you for reminding me; some are worth remembering!

Mamie
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom