TKR Quicklab's recovery: the second time is the charm.

While I do agree that you set, and need to stick to, the limits, I also agree with Jockette that the therapist ignored you and your limits at every turn. This is unacceptable! It's on the therapist to follow your lead; it's not on you if they don't. The PT must understand that it's YOUR body, YOUR limits and YOUR decision as to what you want to accomplish, do, and not do. If they're willing to stay within those limits without arguing, ignoring, cajoling, threatening and pushing you, that's a good sign. If they knowingly cross your lines, or push you to do so, that's not good and should be your deal-breaker.

Personally, I think they've already shown their intent, and I believe you need to either forgo formal PT, or, if you wish to continue PT, find a different facility, as I see this one as a detriment to your physical and mental well-being. In the end, it's your decision, but think about the long term and what you want to accomplish. Is this the path you want to take? Or do you want to find a place and therapist that will listen to you and follow your limits without giving you any stress about it?
 
Last edited:
That is completely unreasonable. It's too soon, and it's NEVER ok to make you cry.
I would definitely see if there is another facility, or at least another therapist available. Make a fuss, or if you're too exhausted, which is quite reasonable, see if your husband will make a fuss on your behalf.
 
Day 9. PT was far too long. 75 minutes worth of exercises. On the bike for the first time. Rode .75 miles in 10 minutes. Then one exercise after the other, some with a 1 lbs weight. When we got to straight leg raises, I began to cry and told them that I would not allow anyone to break my rule of stopping when the pain makes me cry. They assisted me with then, insisting I needed to get my quads strong. I am at 0 extension, 108 flex. They said I don't need to use the walker at home anymore. I am so torn about whether to continue with PT there. I have made remarkable progress in such a short time. I don't want to hurt myself or let anyone else hurt me.
That PT place is doing you more harm than good. Walk away and never go back.
They had no right to continue with your PT when you had asked to stop, and to make you cry is unforgivable.

In that situation, the only thing to do is to remove your knee and yourself from harm. Get up off the table and walk out.

You may have made "remarkable progress in such a short time", but what's the point of that if it's caused you so much pain and upset? Don't discuss. Don't argue. Just go.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, and it will gradually increase as your knee heals.
 
Three weeks out now. The knee is doing great! But yesterday, unrelenting back pain has flared up. I do have a lot of arthritis in my lower back, but have never had such problems as this for awhile. Can't find a comfortable position and can't sleep. Of course, all the gain made in a nice steady gait as a result of the TKR seems to be out the window. In PT today, they just said that I'm using back muscles that I haven't been using because I had to compensate so much for the contracted knee. OK, that's fine...but what do I do to get rid of the back pain?
 
Sorry your back is acting up even as your knee is improving. I'm assuming you've tried ice and heat for the back?
 
Back pain isn't normally an issue for me, but like you, I'm retraining my body after years of compensating and all sorts of places are sore as a result. Heat and Ice are helping me. I also get a lot of gentle relief from using an OTC arnica cream on the sore muscles at bed time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom