THR Question

dr-b

Country
United States United States
I had a hip replacement using the anterior approach with a Hana table about 10 years ago. Currently, I notice that many orthopedic surgeons are doing the anterior approach without the Hana table. Is this the common method these days? If so, does the research show similar success rates?

Welcome back to BoneSmart, @dr-b. I don't have an answer to your question, but will see if I can find any information for you if someone else isn't able to provide an answer.

Are you anticipating surgery on the other hip or a revision on the first one?

Please let us know.

Actually asking for a friend who is getting her first replacement.

@dr-b I suspect that it depends on the hospital your friend will be going to. IF the facility has the Hana table then they will probably use that. And it may also depend on the surgeon and how he/she was trained to do hip replacements. Your friend should ask his/her surgeon about this.

Let me clarify the question? Is it preferable to look for a doctor who uses the Hana table or is it a matter of training and table or no table makes no difference as long as the surgeon is experienced? When I had my surgery it was recommended to only use a doctor who used the Hana table. Now it seems that many doctors don’t use it at all.

@dr-b You are spot on. It’s more important to choose an experienced surgeon no matter what approach and/or equipment they use. With the rapid advancement in medical technology and techniques, the landscape is very fluid and ever-changing. Experience is the one thing that is the constant. We encourage members to not get too hung up on any particular detail except for the experience and then add in their reputation and how your confidence is in them. Like my ortho surgeon says about his practice: “It’s much better to do a couple of things exceptionally well than to do many things adequately.” Blessings.

If I had two well-experienced surgeons and one used a Hana table and the other did not, would be better advised to use the one with the Hana table?

@dr-b I can’t speak to if using the Hana table is best or not. I would just ask the one surgeon why he doesn’t use one. There may have been research done since you had your surgery that might have changed current techniques. If I was satisfied with the answer, I would then make my decision on which doctor was a good communicator and which I felt the most comfortable with. Having confidence in your surgeon goes a long way for your peace of mind and decreasing your anxiety. I hope that helped.

I read astudy published in 2021 that concluded: "Performing THA through DAA without a traction table was associated with a significantly more accurate leg length restoration without a significant increase in the rates of intra- and postoperative complications"

I have no idea what a Hanna table is and I've had 2 THR's. I guess my OS would know what it is, it's his job and he does it well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom